UK Beware of clowns

I used to own a copy of a book written by noted cryptozoologist Loren Coleman. Titiled Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures, in the book Coleman writes about a series of sightings that occurred in the early 1980s. These sightings were of men in cars or vans who were harassing elementary schoolchildren. This occurred in Boston, then moved to the midwest in Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri.

Here are some quotes from Loren Coleman's above-mentioned book:

On May 6, 1981, the Boston police, responding to persistent complaints, warned parents and school officials that men in clown suits were harassing elementary schoolchildren. One of the men was seen wearing a clown suit just from the waist up; from the waist down he was naked. According to reports, the clown had driven a black van near the recreational horseshoe site of Franklin Park in the Roxbury area of Boston. He also appeared in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston near the Mary F. Curley School.

A day earlier, in the adjoining city of Brookline, two clown men reportedly tried to lure children into their van with offers of candy. The Brookline police had a good description of the van: older model, black, with ladders on the side, a broken front headlight, and no hubcaps. After the clown men and van had been seen near the Lawrence Elementary School on Longwood Avenue in Brookline, the police told school administrators to be “extra cautious.”

By May, 8 reports of clown men in vans harassing children had come in from East Boston, Charlestown, Cambridge, Randolph, and other cities near Boston. Police were stopping vehicles with clowns delivering birthday greetings and “clown-a-grams,” but no child molesters were arrested.

The focus of activity now shifts a thousand miles west to Kansas City, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri. On the afternoon of May 22, police cruisers on the Missouri side crisscrossed the city chasing a knife-wielding clown in a yellow van that had been reported at six different elementary schools. Earlier in the day, at eight thirty, a mother had watched a yellow van approach her children as they walked to a school bus stop. The van stopped, and someone inside spoke to her two girls, who then screamed and fled; the vehicle sped away.

The children told their mother that a man dressed as a clown and carrying a knife had ordered them inside. By noon the police had received dozens of similar reports- of a clown in a yellow van. The calls did not taper off until five o’ clock that afternoon.

Residents of the two Kansas cities called it the Killer Clown Affair. Some parents in Kansas were even keeping their children out of school. Before long, “group hysteria” was touted as the explanation for the reports. But incidents continued. The police and volunteers were never able to capture any clowns, but witnesses insisted the costumed figures they had seen were real and not imaginary.

Interestingly, Loren Coleman made the observation that these sightings occurred in 1981 -- and Stephan King's novel, It (a terrifying story of a clown who tries to abduct children), was not published until 1986.

BTW -- Didn't John Wayne Gacy dress up as a clown and entertain at children's parties? This new occurrence of clowns in the UK raises the hair on the back of my neck and gives me the creeps.

ewwww Penelope - your post just took this thread to a different place for me lol

I always hated clowns and Santa as a child. I wanted to see the real face, not a pretend one. I can deal with mall Santas OK now but I still would not get close to a man dressed as a clown. Not for any reason. We used to have a guy from a balloon shop deliver balloons to hospitalized patients in the hospital where I worked, and I was totally creeped out by him.

Yes, Gacy dressed up as a clown. He was a monster.

Lol, I was just thinking this could be a dangerous pastime in the US, what with all the firearms. Scrolling down at that link, I see there's an American saying exactly that.

I think clown person is more likely to come unstuck by crossing paths with a walker of a tough dog in England - my dog's not aggressive but even he would hit the roof if he came across that at night.

Lol, I was just thinking this could be a dangerous pastime in the US, what with all the firearms. Scrolling down at that link, I see there's an American saying exactly that.

I think clown person is more likely to come unstuck by crossing paths with a walker of a tough dog in England - my dog's not aggressive but even he would hit the roof if he came across that at night.

LOL...not sure if I would burst out laughing or freak out if I saw a clown like that, I would probably laugh however my dog would NOT think it was funny at all!

Reminds me of Captain Spalding in the Devil's Rejects, he is on the run after police discover his family is a bunch of psychotic serial killers and he hijacks a car with a kid in it...

Warning video clip contains profanity:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5FY0eqyIwY"]Captain Spaulding The Clown Stealing A Car [With Subtitles!] - YouTube[/ame]

I lv penny wise, scariest clown Eva! They all float, and he says "Come float w me?!" :loveyou:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 11
'British clowns hit out at scary copycats'

Bluebottle (aka Tony Eldridge), secretary of Clowns International, has spoken out against the clown craze that has swept Britain.

Crazy Banana (aka Sally Beadle) has also told how she can no longer stop off at a store, on the way to a work gig, for fear of scaring people.

http://www.itv.com/news/2013-12-26/british-clowns-hit-out-at-scary-copycats/

I heard Bluebottle on a BBC radio interview today. He's got one of the saddest voices I've ever heard.

This story had spread to the media in Australia now, so expect an outbreak of clowns there soon, I suspect......

http://www.smh.com.au/world/no-joke...am-streets-scaring-people-20131226-2zy3k.html

This is the clown that terrified me as a child, and the rag doll spooked me too.

I thought I'd find the image and wonder what I was so creeped out about, then. But no. I took one look at Andy Pandy and he still gives me the shivers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3420069.stm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 16

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics