GUILTY NY - Kyle Underhill, 18, beaten, choked, left to die in Islip marsh, 16 Nov 2011

"Police said he had suffered multiple blunt-force wounds to his head and ribs. The body was found with two sticks lodged in the mouth and throat and medical examiners said the victim was still alive when he was dumped in the marsh.
Thomas Liming, 21, from Islip, New York, has been charged with second-degree murder, the Mail Online reported.
Liming and Underhill both graduated from Islip High School in May 2011.
Fellow student Brian Melton said the two were “best of friends”.
Mr Melton said: “They were like brothers. Kyle and Tom got along famously.”"

http://www.news.com.au/world/thomas...d-kyle-underhill/story-fndir2ev-1226772201471

"Defense attorney Joseph Corozzo told Newsday that Liming didn’t commit a crime and will be acquitted, adding there’s more to the story."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ssmate-murder-article-1.1533317#ixzz2mFEpxV55

Interesting choice of words. It sounds like they are not claiming that Liming didn't do it but that he may be considered not guilty due to some unknown circumstances. Considering the brutal nature of the murder, I'm not sure what kind of defense they will try to use.

"Defense attorney Joseph Corozzo told Newsday that Liming didn’t commit a crime and will be acquitted, adding there’s more to the story."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ssmate-murder-article-1.1533317#ixzz2mFEpxV55

Interesting choice of words. It sounds like they are not claiming that Liming didn't do it but that he may be considered not guilty due to some unknown circumstances. Considering the brutal nature of the murder, I'm not sure what kind of defense they will try to use.

Interesting comments

According to a report from CBS News, Underhill had a polarizing personality. “Some people like him, some people hate him, and I don’t know what could have led to this to happen,” Brian Melton stated.

Underhill had also caused a stir when putting a controversial quote under his high school yearbook photo. The quote read ““I don’t think I’ve ever known so many people I hated so much all at once. See you in Abbadon.” Abbadon is a reference to hell.

Police have not stated a motive for the murder. Liming and Underhill were apparently best friends according to some. They had graduated from Islip High School together and were attending college in Farmingdale.

Underhill had been working at a bakery at the time of his murder. He had last been seen leaving work with Liming.

http://www.longisland.com/news/12-01-13/islip-man-charged-in-former-classmates-2011-murder.html

On the night of the murder the mother of the accused called 911 from the family home, saying her son needed assistance.

Prosecutors said a Suffolk police officer went to the Liming family home about 9:15 the night of the slaying. The officer began to speak with Liming, his mother and sister.

At some point in the conversation, Underhill was mentioned. Liming's mother, Kim, called a lawyer and then asked the officer to leave, saying they would not answer any more questions, prosecutors said.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ed-911-the-day-underhill-was-killed-1.6520235

I wonder if the victim was in the home at the time 911 was called. He had a fractured neck bone, he could have been paralyzed at this point. He was placed in the marsh alive and a board and bush was placed on his body.
After the victim was reported missing, calls to the Liming home from LE and the victim's mother went unanswered.

On the night of the murder the mother of the accused called 911 from the family home, saying her son needed assistance.

Prosecutors said a Suffolk police officer went to the Liming family home about 9:15 the night of the slaying. The officer began to speak with Liming, his mother and sister.

At some point in the conversation, Underhill was mentioned. Liming's mother, Kim, called a lawyer and then asked the officer to leave, saying they would not answer any more questions, prosecutors said.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ed-911-the-day-underhill-was-killed-1.6520235

I wonder if the victim was in the home at the time 911 was called. He had a fractured neck bone, he could have been paralyzed at this point. He was placed in the marsh alive and a board and bush was placed on his body.
After the victim was reported missing, calls to the Liming home from LE and the victim's mother went unanswered.

I can't read the whole article.

One of the previous links said Kyle worked that day, and Liming met him after work. I think there's more going on here.

Underhill had been working at a bakery at the time of his murder. He had last been seen leaving work with Liming.

http://www.longisland.com/news/12-01-13/islip-man-charged-in-former-classmates-2011-murder.html

I wonder why it took 2 years to bring charges.

If KU left work at 6PM with TL as stated in previous link, TL was with him.
Something happened between 6-9PM. Something requiring a 911 call.

Underhill's name was mentioned, then Mom calls Lawyer.
Why were KL's parents not informed at this time?
They filed a missing persons report the next day.
They found him quickly, they knew where to look.

This was a brutal killing, crime of passion perhaps?

Underhill’s parents contacted police on Thursday and reported their son missing. The ensuing investigation revealed that Underhill was possibly in the area of Brook Street near Milton Street and Boston Avenue in Islip, police said. The next day, detectives determined that his disappearance was suspicious. The canine unit and homicide squad were called to assist fugitive/missing persons in the search, but due to darkness the search was temporarily suspended.

Then on Saturday they discovered his body.

http://archive.longislandpress.com/2011/11/19/missing-teen-found-dead-in-islip/

The thing that I'm stuck on is how the lawyer said that Liming did not commit a crime and there is more to this story. This almost sounds like some kind of self-defense argument. The thing is though that there is no way, given the details of how Kyle died, that anyone would every believe this was a self-defense situation. I mean, the details are just horrific and the murder itself was totally over the top if all you wanted to do is stop a situation.

I thought maybe Liming was having some kind of reaction to drugs (legal or otherwise) and just lost it and killed Kyle in the midst of some kind of episode but that doesn't line up with the lawyer saying there was no crime committed either.

Sorry, not making much progress here.

From everything I've read, Kyle appears to be a very fine upstanding young man.

I believe his "friend" confronted him (trying to be discreet here) in a way that made Kyle feel very uncomfortable.

Liming then reacted violently and choked his friend.
Why were 2 pipes found down his throat?

Liming's father is SCPD. Was there a "cover-up"?

Something happened that night after Underhill left work.

Why did his Mom call 911, then send "the officer away", needing to call her lawyer? Why did it take 2 years to press charges? Why?

:truce:

From everything I've read, Kyle appears to be a very fine upstanding young man.

I believe his "friend" confronted him (trying to be discreet here) in a way that made Kyle feel very uncomfortable.

Liming then reacted violently and choked his friend.
Why were 2 pipes found down his throat?

Liming's father is SCPD. Was there a "cover-up"?

Something happened that night after Underhill left work.

Why did his Mom call 911, then send "the officer away", needing to call her lawyer? Why did it take 2 years to press charges? Why?

:truce:

From reading forums that can't be linked here I believe your hypothosis is correct. IMO The accused was "rejected"

They must have pretty good evidence to charge him and the 5 million is huge amount. I think the mother calling 911 and that Kyle's name being mentioned at the time putsThomas right there , maybe if the mum hadn't made that call there would be no connection.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back