GUILTY MO - Kyle Van Winkle, 30, beaten to death at Arrowhead Stadium, 1 Dec 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/police-investigate-death-arrowhead-stadium-21064748

One person was killed and three people taken into custody after an altercation Sunday in the parking lot of Arrowhead Stadium where the Kansas City Chiefs were inside playing the Denver Broncos.

Kansas City police spokesman Darin Snapp told The Associated Press that the incident was being treated as a homicide but that no arrests had been made. Snapp said the victim had returned to his vehicle to find a stranger inside it and a struggle ensued........

"We don't know if the person had a health condition, had a heart attack. We don't know," Snapp said. "We're going to investigate this as a homicide until we hear differently. Right now it's a suspicious death but we are going to investigate it as a homicide."........more......

Police ID man killed in Arrowhead Stadium lot

http://www.ktvn.com/story/24110060/home-searched-in-probe-of-chiefs-parking-lot-death

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - It could take four to six weeks before authorities can determine how a man died after an altercation in the parking lot of Arrowhead Stadium during Kansas City's game against Denver, police said Monday.

The man was identified as Kyle A. Vanwinkle, 30, of Smithville. An examination of Vanwinkle's body did not show obvious signs of trauma, Kansas City police spokesman Darin Snapp said in an emailed statement......

Snapp said investigators are awaiting autopsy and toxicology reports before deciding whether Vanwinkle's death was the result of a crime......

Officers searched a suburban Kansas City home Monday morning after investigators learned evidence in the man's death might be found there, Snapp said. He declined to provide further details......

New info changes a lot.

"Some witnesses to the incident, which was first reported as a possible car break-in, believe Van Winkle probably was not a car thief, but rather a drunk man who found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“I said I need to check his pulse. I want to make sure he’s okay, and they didn’t want me to,” said Kristi. “They kept pushing me away like they didn’t want me there, and I said, ‘No I’m not leaving until you let me check his pulse.’”

http://fox4kc.com/2013/12/02/arrowhead-death-witnesses-say-man-was-no-burglar/

He is the son of the Chief of Police in Grandview, by all accounts he seems to be a nice guy with a steady job. I think the autopsy will reveal more information.

I also wonder why the investigated the car owners home.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/details-death-arrowhead-stadium-21086159
<snipped>
Police spokesman Officer Darin Snapp confirmed in an email Tuesday that the Jeep that Van Winkle was found in was similar to vehicle he had arrived in, and that the Jeep that Van Winkle arrived in was parked nearby. The Jeep that Van Winkle was found in also showed no signs of a break-in and was unlocked when Van Winkle climbed in, according to Snapp.
Wow. Sad. Hope he wasn't killed for making an honest mistake.

He is the son of the Chief of Police in Grandview, by all accounts he seems to be a nice guy with a steady job. I think the autopsy will reveal more information.

I also wonder why the investigated the car owners home.

Maybe to see if the 2 men knew each other or had earlier run ins, check emails, voice mail?

Man found in wrong vehicle at Arrowhead repeatedly punched in face

http://www.kctv5.com/story/24135599/police-medical-examiner-rules-arrowhead-death-homicide

.......Court documents released late Wednesday afternoon say that the victim was repeatedly punched in the face after he was found in the wrong vehicle. Police arrested and questioned the Independence man, but no charges have been filed. ......The man accused of punching Van Winkle did not own the Jeep. .......

At 5:42 p.m., officers rushed to the scene of the fight in Lot A. Van Winkle had blood on his face. Witnesses told police that an Independence man had punched Van Winkle in the face several times and that he fled the scene when police and paramedics were called.

..... The Independence man was the last person taken into custody and that came after his home was put under surveillance overnight Sunday.

The Independence man's home was searched by police on Monday. Authorities seized a Jamaal Charles jersey, jeans and athletic shoes. The man is believed to have been wearing the clothing when he punched Van Winkle, according to court records. Police also sought a yellow-and-red beaded necklace but that wasn't taken in the search.

Officers asked a judge to approve the search warrant so that they can see if "blood, hair, fiber and other microscopic evidence of a homicide" can be found on the clothing. .........

Witnesses told police that the Independence man left Van Winkle on the ground after repeatedly punching him, the newspaper reported. Someone propped him up against a bus, police told the Star.

The bystanders went back to their tailgate party and the Jeep's owner and his son left the area. Later, someone noticed Van Winkle was turning blue, police told The Star. A woman flagged down security officers about 5:40 p.m. and other bystanders started CPR......more......

Wife Living a 'Nightmare' When Husband Dies After Fight in Stadium Parking

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wife-living-nightmare-husband-dies-fight-stadium-parking/story?id=21188440

The wife of a Missouri man who mysteriously died outside a football stadium after getting into an altercation with another person says she can't understand the "senseless" tragedy that has consumed her family.

Kyle Van Winkle, 30, of Smithville, Mo., was found unconscious outside Arrowhead Stadium Dec. 1 while the Kansas City Chiefs were playing the Denver Broncos, according to police. Kansas City investigators have ruled his death a homicide, but say it could be weeks before they know what exactly killed Van Winkle.

"It's completely senseless. I can't even wrap my mind around it sometimes," Van Winkle's wife, Jenni, told ABC News. "I wake up every single day with the same nightmare."

Van Winkle also leaves behind a 7-week-old son named Will. .......

Four people were taken into custody for questioning following the incident, but no one was charged. .......

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/crim...in-death-of-fan-at-arrowhead-stadium/5703191/

A Missouri man is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of a Kansas City Chiefs fan in an Arrowhead Stadium parking lot.

Jackson County prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announced the charge against 23-year-old Joshua T. Bradley of Independence...

Peters Baker said that Bradley hit Van Winkle more than once during the confrontation. An autopsy found that Van Winkle died from a blow to the head.

From June:

Man pleads guilty to fatal beating of Kyle Van Winkle in Arrowhead Stadium parking lot

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article81081397.html

A 27-year-old Independence man admitted Wednesday that he beat a Smithville man to death in the Arrowhead Stadium parking lot during a 2013 Chiefs game.

Joshua T. Bradley pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter but will not serve prison time in the death of Kyle Van Winkle, 30, who suffered blunt force trauma to his head and neck during the Dec. 1, 2013, game.

Jackson County Circuit Judge Kevin D. Harrell sentenced Bradley to seven years but suspended the sentence and placed Bradley on probation for five years.

The plea agreement was the best of three options presented to the victim’s family, Van Winkle’s wife testified before the sentence was pronounced.

“I will never forgive him (Bradley) for what he did,” Jennifer Van Winkle told the court. “He (Kyle) didn’t deserve this.”

While choking back tears, she said, “Kyle paid the ultimate price for this.”

From December:

Three years ago, a new dad went to an NFL game and never made it home

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-seeing-increase-in-violence--among-its-fans-at-games/2016/12/17/58246eb2-c23f-11e6-9578-0054287507db_story.html?utm_term=.851cff7d6910

She stops in the hallway and points at the photograph, hoping the boy at her side will remember.

“Who’s that?” Jenni Van Winkle asks Will, her 3-year-old son.

The gears turn in his little mind, same as they did the previous night and the one before that. Jenni waits, nervous he won’t recognize a face she wants him to know.

“Daddy!” Will says, and the tension inside Jenni releases. Now it’s a game. She moves her finger to another picture, this one of “Uncle B.,” then to one of “Nana,” then back to the photo of Will’s dad. She asks him again. He recognizes him again.

Every night they do this, an important part of the bedtime routine: Will being taught to love a father he barely knew. Seven weeks after Will was born in October 2013, Kyle Van Winkle went with his own father to a Kansas City Chiefs game; following a mysterious confrontation with other fans, he was beaten to death in a parking lot outside Arrowhead Stadium.

Last month, Will and Jenni stopped in the hallway and looked at the pictures, the same as every night. “Who’s that?” she asked, and he recognized the face, same as always. She asked him about love and bravery, same as always.

Then, almost without planning it, she altered the routine. Will climbed into bed, and she asked whether he knew where Daddy was. In heaven, he said, one of the stars in the sky.

“Do you know what happened to Daddy?” she asked him.

The boy looked at her. This time he said nothing.

Jenni took a breath, a young and broken family still lost but searching for the way back, and with delicate words, she began.

Family of man beaten to death in Arrowhead Stadium parking lot sues Kansas City Chiefs - July 2016

Widow and KC Chiefs settle lawsuit over man’s death in Arrowhead Stadium parking lot

On the eve of a trial in her wrongful death lawsuit against the Kansas City Chiefs, Jenni Van Winkle settled her case nearly five years after her husband’s death.

In her lawsuit, Jenni Van Winkle claimed there wasn’t enough security in the lot to assist her husband and to provide aid when he fell to the ground and was left to die.

Neither side would comment on specifics. Scott Hofer, an attorney representing the Chiefs, and Bill Carr, representing the Van Winkle’s, both said the settlement was “resolved to the mutual satisfaction of all parties.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back