1072 users online (169 members and 903 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Teen visiting Houston for dance classes taken into CPS custody

<modsnip>

“We were on the GPS trying to figure out where the hotel was. And we sat there and we dozed off.”

They said before they knew it, the police showed up and surrounded the car.

“And so I was kind of freaked out and surprised by it,” said Landry.

“They just pulled us out of the car and put our hands behind our backs like we were criminals,” added Hurd.
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/oklah...234062201.html
    Last edited by Harmony2; 12-03-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: snipped to comply with copyright rule
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Ridiculous.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

It's kind of good that cops detained the three since they were asleep in the vehicle, with no parent. Just to be safe, but cuffing everyone, and not listening to the mom is where is gets so outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    Ridiculous.
    Houston has a lot of human trafficking. Police see two adult males, one teenage female, dozing off in the car at night-I personally can understand why they would be suspicious.
    Just my opinion

I THINK the males were Black, the girls were White.

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    oh, well in that case...

Anyone can SAY anything (or MADE to say anything, in the case of the girl) and WRITE anything (the letter from the parent). Err on the side of caution and (possibly) rescue a young girl? I think they did the right thing.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Teen visiting Houston for dance classes taken into CPS custody

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    Why do you think that? Is it in an article or police report?

I have daughters. If I sent my kids to another city in the care of another adult and the police found them asleep in a vehicle, I would be very upset if police did not get everyone out if the vehicle and confirm their identities. Anyone can write a note. I would want a call from the cops.

I would also want to know if anyone appeared to be under the influence if drugs or alcohol. When people in the car out number the cop or cops who were there it is wise to handcuff everyone until it's sorted out so no one can run off or assault someone. MOO

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    Why do you think that? Is it in an article or police report?
    video at link in first post.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    If I were that mother, I would be grateful that police are looking out for young teen girls, hers in particular.

The cuffing might be scary but I think they did the right thing.

Why are three people dozing off in a gas station parking lot? Not one of the adults could stay awake enough to drive to the hotel? I find it odd that all three fell asleep.

They were sleeping (or dozing off, as they say it) in car, at night, at a gas station. Seems like police had a right to investigate as to what was going on. Because it doesn't seem like a common situation, does it?
    Just my opinion

i have not heard a single person say that the police did not have a right to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by liljim View Post
    i have not heard a single person say that the police did not have a right to investigate.
    Then what exactly is the complaining about? Houston, of all places, is not a good place to be sleeping in a car at night-it's not exactly a low crime area.
    Just my opinion

My dd does this and I send her with a notarized document, too. Anything can be forged, but a notarized document is both signed and sworn by the notary that the person signing is who they say they are based on verification to the notary and personal observation of the person signing the document. Notaries are authorized by the Court. Not just randoms. A notarized document is, on its face, proof of its contents. Similar to a birth certificate with a raised seal.

I think investigating was totally appropriate under the circumstances. But a review of the affidavit and the i.d. of the adults should have been sufficient. A call to the parent would have been fine, too, but not necessary. They police went WAY overboard, imo. And why in the world would they cuff the girl???

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Then what exactly is the complaining about? Houston, of all places, is not a good place to be sleeping in a car at night-it's not exactly a low crime area.
    i havent complained about anything.

but i would be surprised at anyone reading that story and imagining that it was their child and not having any questions regarding the way things went after the police had "investigated".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast