1040 users online (215 members and 825 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Canada - Thomas Billings, 22, Vancouver, 25 Nov 2013 - British tourist

Above images from following articles:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vanc...549/story.html

Tom Billings, 22, was last seen on the morning of Nov. 25 in the 1400-block East Broadway.

Police said he was planning to go to the United States at the end of November before returning home to England on Dec. 7.

But his family and friends have not heard from him and are concerned, said police.

The disappearance is “completely out of character,” according to police investigators.

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/cit...ritish-tourist

Tom is 22 years old and described as white, 5’7″ tall, 160 lbs., with blonde short hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a black jacket and grey military style pants.
    Anyone with information is asked to call Vancouver police at 604-717-3321.

Where was Tom staying in Vancouver? Did he have access to a vehicle?

He is apparently an avid hiker. If he planned to go hiking in the North Shore mountains, he would need transportation to get there and appropriate dress and gear for this time of year.

The 1400 block of E. Broadway is a lot of apartment buildings with only a couple of commercial operations, one of which is an Army & Navy Surplus store. I'm taking a wilda$$ guess that establishment is where he was last seen.

Although LE doesn't have a specific location or starting point that he was interested in hiking in the North Shore mountains, I think most tourist, hiking enthusiasts would hear about the popular Grouse Grind.

Grouse Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Public transportation is available to The Grind. It is one of the top 10 most dangerous hikes in the world.
    Last edited by KateB; 04-27-2015 at 12:50 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

He is supposed to return to England Dec. 7… so there is still hope he could return home as planned?

He has a great smile. I hope he is able to return home.
    Just my opinion!

I take it there wasn't any record of him actually crossing into the US. I live in the county that borders Canada and they check everyone's passport coming through the borders here.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    Where was Tom staying in Vancouver? Did he have access to a vehicle?

He is apparently an avid hiker. If he planned to go hiking in the North Shore mountains, he would need transportation to get there and appropriate dress and gear for this time of year.

The 1400 block of E. Broadway is a lot of apartment buildings with only a couple of commercial operations, one of which is an Army & Navy Surplus store. I'm taking a wilda$$ guess that establishment is where he was last seen.
    The news story I watched said he was staying at an apartment in the 1400 block of E. Broadway where he was last seen (at 9am, Nov 25th). No mention of access to a vehicle but it did say he left quite a few of his things behind which is why they still think he is in the area.

alreetlike is offline All human wisdom is summed up in these two words -- wait and hope
    He looks really familiar, but I can't work out why. Maybe he reminds me of somebody else.

Bumping for Tom.

Tom Billings Missing In B.C.: Dad Of UK Hiker Pleads For Public Help
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/12...n_4415190.html

So sad that Tom is still missing.

I am afraid that someone decided to take advantage of a tourist who was traveling alone and may have seemed vulnerable.

I will hope for the best but I am afraid that Tom has met with foul play.
    Just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie811 View Post
    So sad that Tom is still missing.

I am afraid that someone decided to take advantage of a tourist who was traveling alone and may have seemed vulnerable.

I will hope for the best but I am afraid that Tom has met with foul play.
    what makes you think that? I am thinking more along the lines of him falling or injuring himself while being in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalSleuth View Post
    what makes you think that? I am thinking more along the lines of him falling or injuring himself while being in the wilderness.
    BBM- Equally possible! Certainly.

I just feel that a tourist traveling by himself in a foreign country is very vulnerable. It was likely obvious to anyone that he met that he was a foreigner, due to accent. It also wouldn't be difficult to realize that Tom was traveling alone-- especially if he is a friendly guy who engages in conversation with people he meets. I think he was vulnerable to foul play because a predator who spent a few minutes engaging in conversation with Tom would realize that Tom's loved ones were in another country and he would not be noticed as missing right away. I know it is less common for young men to be attacked than young women, but it certainly happens.

But you are right, becoming injured while hiking is another possible scenario!
    Just my opinion!

Are there any bodies of water near where Tom was staying? Here in the US it seems SO OFTEN when a young man Tom's age goes missing he is found in water! Often after a night out. Would love to know more details about Tom's activities while in Vancouver.
    Just my opinion!

According to his Dad's presser, apparently there was a credible sighting of Tom at Delaney's coffee shop on Lynn Valley Road. There was another reported sighting on Grouse Mountain but it has been somewhat discounted because the tipster said Tom had a backpack (when he had not taken his backpack with him).

Looking at Delaney's on the map and considering that Tom would have likely taken public transportation, I'm curious about his stopping at that point on the Lynn Canyon Road. I therefore think it is possible that he walked along Ross Road up into the Lynn Canyon Park. Otherwise, I can' really think why he would have stopped at that point if his destination was in fact further up into the North Shore mountains.

I don't have a lot of time right now to do a screen shot, etc. but if you do a google map search using <delaney's "lynn valley road"> minus the brackets, I think you'll see what I mean.

Where in the US was he planning on going?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast