977 users online (185 members and 792 guests)  

Websleuths News

Garrett’s Law

Garrett's Law expands the definition of child neglect in state law to include causing a child to be born with an illegal substance in his or her system or with a health problem caused by a pregnant mother's illegal drug use. It requires doctors and hospital personnel to report when babies are born with illegal drugs in their systems.

http://www.kthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=16304
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I will never forget when I had my son...we were in our local hospital and one baby was crying, crying, crying. This little student nurse confided that the baby had been born with drugs in his system and was having withdrawals. She wasn't supposed to say anything to us of course, but she was young. There we were on cloud 9, and there was this little baby down the hall who was in so much pain. Made me so sad and so mad.

accountability...

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Garrett's Law expands the definition of child neglect in state law to include causing a child to be born with an illegal substance in his or her system or with a health problem caused by a pregnant mother's illegal drug use. It requires doctors and hospital personnel to report when babies are born with illegal drugs in their systems.

http://www.kthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=16304
    Good - there has to be some accountability somewhere -- do you know what the consequences are for the parent(s)?
    secondo me - e' l'opinione mia...