1146 users online (258 members and 888 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020

    Iceland - armed police operation leaves man dead

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25190119

    Icelandic police have shot dead a man who was firing a shotgun in his apartment in the early hours of Monday.

    It is the first time someone has been killed in an armed police operation in Iceland, officials say. .......

    An investigation is being carried out into the conduct of the police and to try to find out why the man began firing.

    More at link.....

    Not an unusual event in the U.S. but I was amazed to read the BBM.


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia -- Redneck Country
    Posts
    7,175
    Interesting article included on that page. Iceland has a population of 300,000 with 80,000 firearms. They have one of the absolutely lowest crime rates in the world.

    They are also 97% homogenous (old Norse/Celtic blood) and the other 3% is comprised of primarily European transplants.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    CT/NC
    Posts
    21,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Interesting article included on that page. Iceland has a population of 300,000 with 80,000 firearms. They have one of the absolutely lowest crime rates in the world.

    They are also 97% homogenous (old Norse/Celtic blood) and the other 3% is comprised of primarily European transplants.
    Wow. It sounds like every household might have a gun or it would be suspected that they do. I guess with those odds you would be less likely to use it for fear that someone else might be just as armed and dangerous as you are.

    The average person in this country does not carry a concealed weapon so for someone who has a gun and is planning a crime the chances of he/she finding an unarmed victim are pretty good. That could be why we have a crime problem. jmo



Similar Threads

  1. Police Kicked Out Of Belleville Denny’s For Being Armed
    By TrackerSam in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 11:25 AM