Major ice storm across parts of the South and Ohio Valley starting Thursday

Dark Knight

Reaction score
If you are in the dark purple zone on this map you should consider preparing for power outages that may last for days. Winter Storm Cleon's final act will be a major ice storm across parts of the South and Ohio Valley starting Thursday - here's a freshly updated forecast & analysis here:

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-cleon-forecast-20131201

1451612_10152076993340921_1843854585_n.jpg

Boy, oh boy, oh boy!... Its simply amazing that here I sit in damn near 80° temperatures, and yet within mere hours it'll be below freezing with ice galore heading my way...:eek:

We're in the suburbs of Memphis and tho, I, personally always have my doubts on it actually being near as severe as our meteorologists predict..nonetheless I must say that ALL OF OUR local grocery stores are ALREADY selling out as we speak, of every known want/necessity known to man..:crazy:

I guess we'll hunker down and just have to wait and see just what will end up coming our way;)

**P.S.
Soooooooooooooooo very glad that my wonderful hubby bought that nice, big generator that was I was so against him buying a few months back..lol:D

We'll be getting snow with winter storm Cleon. I'd rather have 6 inches of snow than a half inch of ice any day!

Stay safe my friends!

I posted this earlier today on the Midwest States thread.

'Big ice threat' for parts of the Midwest as storm churns on

By Daniel Arkin and Elizabeth Chuck, NBC News

A “big ice threat” could cause power outages across parts of the Midwest over the next two days as a storm that dumped as much as 30 inches of snow in some locations churns east.

“It could be significant with lots of power outages,” Kevin Noth, a lead meteorologist with the Weather Channel, told NBC News. “The big ice threat will be as far south as Dallas and central Texas all the way up to Paducah, Kentucky, maybe Memphis will be hit, too. Little Rock, Arkansas, will be in the thick of it.” ...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...od&par=xfinity

they've been talking about ice storms here in Canada for days ... got a little bit but have been lucky so far

multiple days of power outages is scary

I've done it but it was in the summer - I can't imagine having to do it in the winter

stay safe everyone!

We're expecting ice. Everyone and their dogs were out at dollar general earlier getting dogfood and basics.

they've been talking about ice storms here in Canada for days ... got a little bit but have been lucky so far

multiple days of power outages is scary

I've done it but it was in the summer - I can't imagine having to do it in the winter

stay safe everyone!

Do you remember the Great Ice Storm of 1998? Oh my! May you all be spared.

I've notified my friends in So. Illinois to be prepared. They're pretty good about being weather-ready, but still, never hurts to message them.

Now, I'm in So Ca, and we're under a frost advisory - below freezing temps for us for the next few nights, which is a *huge* deal here...tbh, I'm LOVIN' it, but most folks aren't. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

ETA: Had to add the response from my text..."thanks, personal weather lady. We can count on you!" LOL...see, they live out in the very rural area, and don't get television, and don't have cable. They do have internet, but only one computer, and 6 kids...so...I make sure they know what's coming into the area via texts. So now I'm apparently the weather lady for them. ROFL.

I'm unhappy to report that it has started in Southern Arkansas. The mad bread rush is on...Wal-Mart isn't even putting it on the shelves, it's in the middle of the aisle.

I'm tracking a FedEx package that should be delivered by Friday. When I checked this morning, there was a red alert with the following:

Winter Storm in Northwestern and Central U.S.

Last updated: December 5, 2013

A winter storm is causing hazardous conditions in the northwestern and central U.S. Our top priority is the safety and well-being of our team members, as well as providing the highest level of service to our customers. Although contingency plans are in place, some service delays and disruptions can be anticipated in CO, ID, MN, MT, ND, NV, SD, UT, WI and WY. FedEx is committed to providing service to the best of our ability in areas that can be safely accessed. Please continue to check fedex.com for updates.

The ice won't reach us until tomorrow but let me just say; my body is aching badly as well as this cold is WET and bone chilling. To da Core. I dont like it!!

I had to turn up the furnace to like 75 today. I'm not comfortable at anything less. :( What is your thermostat usually set to? I'm curious what everyone's usual setting is during the daytime.

The temp has dropped 20* since five this morning. We have hit our high of 63*, and now we are at 43*. Yes, I am hating this. LOL

Ice headed our way. Going out today was crazy too many people evry where. We are as ready as we can be. Last time we had ice we were without power for 4 days. Fingers crossed.

All of you are in my thoughts! We are just barely going to miss it here in Northeast Louisiana although there may be some sleet for tomorrow. We already have a little rain and the temp has dropped almost 20 degrees in just over an hour.

Take care!

No precipitation visible (and I'm not going out in the yard and check for it brrrr) in the northeastern-most corner of OK yet but atmospherically quite bleak-looking.

80 degrees here today! I'm loving it. Higher tomorrow. I'm taking tomorrow off to clean up my yard from all the leaves that has fallen and enjoying the nice day one more time outside. Have family coming for Christmas.

I feel for all the people experiencing this icy cold weather. I could not live there. I hate the cold!

Oh Lordy-- We have already lost ALL POWER!!... Ugh! Ugh! and more Ugh!!.. and the ice hasn't even set in.. Obviously someone has already lost control and smashed into a pole or something..that was quickly followed by bright blue flashes in the sky..and then the sound of many sirens...

Sooooooooooo.. I've concluded that it just so happens that we have the misfortune and bad luck of actually having lost all power BEFORE THE BIG, OL', HEAVY ICE STORM HAS EVEN SET IN!!

Hope everyone whose in the path of this ice storm stays safe, warm, and cozy!

State-by-state look at wintry blast hitting US

The Associated Press, AP
4 hours ago

A big chunk of the U.S. is getting a blast of wintry weather. Some areas are experiencing frigid temperatures. Some are seeing sleet, snow and ice. Several deaths have been reported, most resulting from treacherous driving conditions. Hundreds of flights have been canceled and holiday celebrations curtailed. Even one outdoor ice rink in cold-accustomed South Dakota is shutting down...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20131206/US--Cold.Snap-Glance/?cid=hero_media

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back