Australia Australia - Rosemaria Lauria, 68, Frankston, Vic, 9 Oct 2006

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
Mystery surrounds murdered woman

cc_anna_narrowweb__300x310,0.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/mystery-lingers-over-burnt-body/2007/03/10/1173478727790.html

July 05, 2011

THE last time her family saw her, Rosemaria Lauria was heading out to get some groceries and do some banking.

Her charred body was found five hours later on October 9, 2006, by firefighters who had been called to a scrub fire at a beachside reserve at Frankston, in Melbourne's south.

She was burned to death.

An inquest into the 68-year-old's death heard Ms Lauria lived a solitary life in her Brunswick home, in Melbourne's north, next door to her sister Natalie and brother-in-law Carlo Patti.

http://www.news.com.au/national/eld...ve-hears-inquest/story-e6frfkvr-1226088342963

October 14, 2007

Police release footage to 'solve murder'

Victorian homicide detectives will release surveillance footage of a man who could hold the key to the murder of a Melbourne woman.

A man contacted police six days after the charred remains of 69-year-old Rosemaria Lauria were found at a beachside reserve at Frankston, in Melbourne's south-east, on October 9 last year, investigators revealed.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...to-solve-murder/2007/10/14/1192300571916.html

Thank you so much, marly. :)

From: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/twist-in-burned-womans-death/story-e6frg6n6-1111112431518

Some people close to Rosemaria Lauria, 68, talked of how the proceeds from her Brunswick flat would be distributed even as police were searching for her.

The comments were made seven days after Ms Lauria was last seen alive on October 9, after she left her Inverness St flat to go shopping and banking in Coburg.

^ So, her family are saying how close they were, and how much they miss her -- despite that Rosemaria is described by everyone else as living a very solitary sort of life, even though her family lived.. next door?... and ONE WEEK after she vanishes, they are dividing up her assets?

Yeah. Okay.

With our cold case squad fairly racking up the arrests and case developments lately, I have very hope Rosemaria will see some justice sooner rather than later now.

Three people can't be ruled in or out. Wonder who these three are. This is according to the coroner's report. Did someone arrange to meet her in Frankston ? She apparently had all her faculties. When caught on cctv at Flinder's street station she seemed to know where she was going. Not walking around in circles lost. When she was seen on cctv in Frankston she appeared to be acting normally. Then poof the no more cctv's and she disappears. If someone wanted to rob her they could have. Even knocked her down but to set her on fire that was deliberate and maybe it was an attempt to obliterate the body so it couldn't be identified. What would be the reason force snatch and grab robber to do that. None that I canthink of. It would be someone who doesn't want her identified. The question now is who could that be?

This just seems really strange. While the assets-grab seems really suss (to me), there's a chance Rosemaria got a bit confused, and lost:

Detective Sergeant Kirk Pennuto told the Coroner's Court in Melbourne today that Ms Lauria last spoke to her sister about 2pm on the day she died, telling her: "Bye bye, I'll see you tonight", before heading out to do some grocery shopping and banking.

About two hours later, CCTV footage shows her leaving Frankston train station.

She is then believed to have approached a woman for directions to nearby public transport, telling her she had not meant to come to Frankston and was lost.

CCTV then shows Ms Lauria playing the pokies at the nearby Pier Hotel before leaving at 6.35pm.

She is believed to have then walked to Kananook Creek Reserve, well-known to local police as a "haunt for undesirables", Det Sgt Pennuto said.

He said Nada Babic, walking through the reserve with her son Alex at about 7pm that night, told police she heard the sound of branches breaking and a woman's voice screaming out.

http://www.news.com.au/national/eld...ve-hears-inquest/story-e6frfkvr-1226088342963
___

And then two local scumbags are seen fossicking through a purse..

I'm sure I don't have to remind our other Aussie readers about another murder (well, presumed to be a murder) in Kananook, but here's a link for those who don't know:

Disappearance of Sarah MacDiarmid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a truly awful area... no way would I set foot there after dark.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/09/30/1191090945564.html

If this was junkies attacking a helpless, confused and exhausted woman.. well, they're already in hell. Jail on top of that would be awesome.

OOh we cross-posted, Marg! LOL

Yeah, it just seems all really weird. And quite convenient, eh. I have never heard of a person in a state of dementia wandering away, to play pokies for a couple hours.

But then, she said she didn't mean to go to Frankston.. Maybe she fell asleep and decided to enjoy her unexpected journey.. and just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And by coincidence had a pack of vultures for relatives.

What I -don't get here is that to get to Frankston from Brunswick/Coburg area, it's not a direct line... you have to go all the way into the city to Flinders St and then get on the Frankston line. That's a pretty huge mistake, even if she was just going to do a little city shopping. :confused:

That is a bad area isn't it. Umm...Paul Denyer? I knew someone who bought a flat that backed onto Kananook creek. No thanks, way too creepy! The beach there is beautiful. But any other water way out that way gives me the serious creeps. All of the parkland I've visited around Frankston/Seaford is the same to me, just eerie. It's a strange area, a real mix of good and bad.

My daughter and I were just now having a conversation about that very thing, BB - how it's such a mix, and just a short block is sometimes the difference between a good area and a complete nightmare after dark.

I do like the beaches out that way, though. And there's some really lovely areas, and people, too.

Did you see - Marly just made us a Denyer thread, which I'll post in properly tomorrow, probably.

Australia Victorian Serial Killer Paul Denyer - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I always hoped something would happen with this case. To burn her body is horrific. Someone out there has got away with a terrible crime. Also the family seem to have got off scott free. JMO

I know this case intimately. Very tragic.

Hi there, Pert Hornet, and welcome to Websleuths! I'd be very interested in your take on this, as someone who knows the case well - from the inside? Or as a local?

Marg, I would love to this case resolved, as well. It's very strange, all round..

What a horrible way to end up, burned like trash.. This is one of the more awful crimes we've had in recent years.

Hi there, Pert Hornet, and welcome to Websleuths! I'd be very interested in your take on this, as someone who knows the case well - from the inside? Or as a local?

Marg, I would love to this case resolved, as well. It's very strange, all round..

What a horrible way to end up, burned like trash.. This is one of the more awful crimes we've had in recent years.

This type of matter is one that most Homicide investigators shudder at. No obvious rhyme or reason, other than an initial examination of the scene and the need to look to the victim for clues. no obvious avenues of enquiry to play out and absolutely no luck. I am interested to see what you 'think' happened.

Hello again, Pert Hornet, good to see you back. You haven't mentioned if you're a local, or have a personal interest in the case?

Most interesting is mention of 'three suspects' whom the police did not have enough evidence on to arrest... so it seems they do have a few people in their sights. That is good to know. I wonder if they're making any progress.

Not so much reaching conclusions, yet, as still looking at the questions.

It seems fairly obvious that an accelerant was used, witnesses report a sudden, large flare of flames and one reported seeing a man 'throwing something' just before the flare. What was the accelerant, I wonder (it produced a distinctly red flame, where some produce blue or other colours) and where'd it come from - did the perp just happen to have that at hand?

The little bit of research I've done on accelerants might indicate petrol or kerosene, a hydrocarbon fuel like that, which is known to produce red-hued flames.

Just talking aloud to myself here, really, as I look a bit harder at the timeline as given in the inquest report.

2.19: Rosamaria (R) leaves home (ostensibly to do some shopping locally) and boards a tram to the city.

2.49: R's tram arrives at the tram stop near Flinders St and she then heads to the Flinders St. train station.

2.59: R boards the Frankston train.

*** Okay. This just seems a bit odd, to me -- according to articles, she is reported as saying she's going to do a little shopping and banking in Coburg.

And yet, R then boards a tram going in the *opposite direction* to Coburg (which is just a very short distance north of Brunswick). Instead of going north, she has caught a tram on the opposite side of the street, one that was going south, to the city. Now, it just defies belief that a long-term local would mix those two trams up, nor the directions.

Thus, I believe R was NOT intending to travel to Coburg at all, but directly to the city.

R then gets off her tram at Flinders St and then heads *directly* to the Frankston train and boards it. If you take into consideration that R pretty much *must* have intended to travel to the city that day, I do not see why she'd arrive in the city, then neglect to any banking or shopping at all but instead head *directly* for the Frankston train. Even if she had caught the wrong tram, why not simply catch one back?

Thus, I believe R was intending to travel to somewhere by train, other than Coburg that day.

Back to the timeline:

4.04 PM R is observed arriving at Frankston station (this is quite a long journey from the city). There, she sits down at a nearby bus station and has a cigarette (as most smokers would, after a long train journey). Five minutes later, she crosses the road in Young St and heads west along "the main street" (what st?) toward Nepean Hwy (observed there at 4.15.)

4.30 PM - R stops a young woman near the Bayside shopping centre entrance on Balmoral Walk ( a 5-min walk from the station, maybe 15 for an old lady) and asks where "the bus station" is (witness is very sure this is what R said) stating she was lost, had intended to play the pokies but had caught the wrong transport (the witness stated she could not recall R's exact wording on anything but "bus station") and had not intended to come to Frankston.

***Why 'the bus station' and NOT the 'train station', if she was intending to get the train back to the city? I have a feeling the bus station was maybe a 'landmark' for her. Given to her by someone? Is what I am thinking --- it should be noted here, R does not head for said "bus station" but rather heads -- in the opposite direction (and in the direction she was generally heading in, toward the Nepean)-- for the pokies venue.

So I am wondering if R was trying to check with this witness that she's on the right track (from the landmark bus station) and then gets her bearings and ends up going to where she was headed (the pokies).

*** She is seen carrying two bags from somewhere around this time, it's not clear exactly where and when they were first observed in the inquest report - so I'm not clear where she got those from? R had very little time indeed to do any shopping. Maybe 15 mins spent at Bayside? Still, not a lot of time at all, if you take her slow walking and the times involved. So where'd she get those bags?

4.49: (I think this is meant to be 4.39?) R is seen on CCTV passing Robin Hood Tavern on Nepean Hwy.

4.45: R arrives at the Pier Hotel and enters the gaming area. She is not seen to speak to anyone, and does not consume any alcohol.

6.30 PM: R leaves the Pier Hotel and walks back past Robin Hood Tavern at 6.35. This is the last time Rosamaria is seen alive.

** Police have assumed R turned off into Playne St, crossed a footbridge over Kananook Ck and entered the reserve from that point. I am not sure how far along the reserve she was found. There is NO earthly reason I can think of as to why R would head there. Even if lost, it's a highly unlikely direction to take.

6.45 (approx) - Witnesses walking their dog on the Reserve foreshore hear a scream, then see a man standing beside a fire in some ti-tree scrub. The man was observed 'throwing something' on the fire. The fire is then seen to flare up suddenly.

6.45 - 6.55 - Witnesses observe two men acting suspiciously and rummaging through a dark coloured purse or wallet in the vicinity of where R was found.

6.55 (approx)- Witnesses at a nearby restaurant with a view of the beach (Waves on the Beach?) observe a fire, and then a large and sudden flare of 'red' coloured flames on the foreshore.

7.04: A witness calls 000 to report a fire on the foreshore.

*** This is all very strange. Rosamaria was likely attacked *immediately* that she entered the Reserve (given witness statements re a fire, just 10 mins after R's last CCTV sighting at the Robin Hood) , very quickly indeed if indeed she walked (for some inexplicable reason) over the bridge. Even given that the location is well-known for 'undesirables', it beggars belief that the local junkies were just sitting there with a can of petrol, waiting to pounce on some random, unwitting victim in order to snatch her purse and then burn her alive.

***Something just truly does not add up to me here, from the moment Rosamaria left home to 'go shopping in Coburg' (but made a beeline for Flinders St and Frankston... and that 'bus station'...) to her inexplicable entry into the reserve, to the very quick attack which followed, in which she is burned alive most probably with an accelerant.

That is where I am at with this case.

Just some pics from Google street view of the route Rosamaria is meant to have walked once she left the Pier Hotel.

Keep in mind that to walk to the Reserve via the footbridge at the end of Playne st as suggested, R would have to have headed *away* from the obviously busy main shopping area and off into a lonely bit of street and parkland, as dark is falling.

View attachment 54867

^ here's the proposed route R took from the train station (4.04 PM-4.09 PM) to the Pier hotel (4.45 PM), and where police think she might have crossed over into the reserve at the end of Playne st. (shortly after 6.35 PM)

View attachment 54868
^ here's the footbridge, heading off into the reserve

View attachment 54869

^ here's a view of the relatively lonely bit of street R would have to walk down to get to the reserve. If you turn around, you'd see the busy shopping district. This is really out of the way, no way this was simply a "wrong turn". Very inexplicable route to take.

I don't know if I'm making sense here... but what I'm wondering is -- if Rosamaria was given directions to say, 'follow the street opposite the bus station' to get to the Nepean Hwy (and thus the pokies venue at Pier Hotel) it would be easy to make a mistake and head up Station St instead (which leads you to the entrance to the Bayside shopping complex on Balmoral Walk where she stopped that witness and asked where the bus station was etc). The more direct route to Nepean is up Wells St -- and below I have a street view from the end of Wells, from where you can clearly see the "bus station".

The map view below shows the route from the bus station through Balmoral Walk (which seems a bit of a dead end at a huge escalator, it looks like, though I *think* you can actually get through to the other side of the complex from there) as well as the route from the corner of Wells.

View attachment 54875

So maybe that's why she was feeling "a bit lost".

I don't know why, if she "had not intended to come to Frankston" (remember, the witness said she wasn't clear on Rosamaria's exact wording), R would NOT just get a train back, or would NOT head to the bus station after asking where it was, but make a beeline for a pokie venue that she DID NOT ask directions to (because she already had them??)

Just for the halibut, here's the spot on Balmoral Walk 'outside the entrance to Bayside' where Rosamaria stopped the witness to ask for directions:

Rosamaria5.jpg

This is right at the end of Station St. You can see the entrance to Bayside, as well as the 'dead end' escalator that leads to Balmoral Walk proper. Off to the left is Gloria Jeans coffee, and a little side street that connects Station St to Wells st (which leads more directly to Nepean)

I'm going to play devils advocate here so please take no offence. You raise many interesting questions, most of which lead you to "it doesn't make sense conclusions". For a variety of reasons the police only release and make public, even at coronial inquest, what they are comfortable to have discussed in a public forum such as this. I feel that most of your questions have probably been resolved but for a variety of reasons the answers to many of the questions that you seek about poor R will never become public. Some out of respect to her and the family, others because to do so may compromise the police investigation at some point.

Pert Hornet. Do you know if she had a will or did she die intestate?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back