TX - Cameron Redus, 23, UIW student, fatally shot by campus PD officer, 6 Dec 2013

Reader

Reaction score
Robert Cameron Redus, 23, died early Friday morning after a struggle with a cop during a traffic stop near the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio.

A Texas college student was fatally shot following an incident with a University of the Incarnate Word police officer a few blocks from campus, the Alamo Heights Police Department said.

Robert Cameron Redus, 23, was pulled over for allegedly speeding and driving erratically early Friday, KTRK reported........

The officer radioed for help, and multiple shots were fired. Redus was pronounced dead on the scene.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...olice-officer-article-1.1540813#ixzz2mpYMQsTH

Nothing said about the student being armed so far.

From the SA Express-News article:

"Over the course of Carter's eight-year law career in Texas, he has held nine jobs at eight agencies, including two stints at the Bexar County Sheriff's Office, files kept by the state agency for licensing peace officers show.
He rarely was at an agency more than a year and his shortest job was for seven months as a reserve officer for the San Antonio Municipal Court Marshals Division. So far, the two years and seven months he's spent at UIW is the longest stretch of employment, the files show."

MOO, if that isn't a reason not to trust this man with any position of authority, I don't know what is. What fool hired this guy?

I noticed that too TGI...there's a reason this guy has moved around so much.

This one doesn't seem right to me at all.
This was a straight A student, etc.
I hope this is thoroughly investigated.

From Paragirl's link above:

"He said he heard a cop say more than once, “Stop resisting, stop resisting.”

"Then he heard what sounded like a struggle."

“Then the cop said, 'I'm going to shoot,'” Haidarasl recalled."

“I heard (a man) say, 'Oh, you're gonna shoot me?' like sarcastic almost,” he added."

"Carter radioed for help before firing multiple shots at Redus, who was pronounced dead at the scene."

Haidarasl said he heard four to six gunshots."

“I jumped up and hid in my closet,” he said."

from paragirl's link==> Carter radioed for help before firing multiple shots at Redus...
------------------------------

I need to hear this radio exchange.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...shot-by-officer-during-5041768.php?cmpid=hpbn

The UIW officer was in a marked pickup truck.Pruitt said both vehicles drove north on Broadway until they pulled into the parking lot of the Treehouse Apartments at Broadway and Arcadia Place around 2 a.m., at which point they both got out of the vehicles and became involved in a struggle. The officer radioed for help during the struggle and Redus was shot multiple times.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police were investigating whether Redus had a weapon or was threatening the police officer's life, Pruitt said.

“This is really in its preliminary stages,” Pruitt said. “This investigation will go on for days.”

More at link....

re: police are investigating if Robert threatened the officer's life....

Robert, being dead, can not give his side of the story.

I wonder if the officer's 'marked truck' had a camera?

Absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary. RIP Robert. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

So Cameron Redus was unarmed but allegedly "attacked" the officer - making him fear for his life... I wonder what this unarmed young man could have done to make an armed officer fear for his life and fire 4 to 8 shots at him?

One of his friends interviewed in this article:
'He was one of the most level-headed people I've ever met. What I have heard is completely counter-intuitive to what I have known him to be,' he said, referring to accounts of Redus initiating an altercation with the officer who shot him.'

Campus officer who shot dead unarmed straight-A student says he opened fire because he 'felt his life was in danger'

KVUE-TV reports that Cpl Carter has told investigators he feared for his life. It's not clear what actions the unarmed Redus took to make the officer believe he was in danger of being killed.

When Redus pulled over at an apartment complex off Broadway, police said Redus got out of his truck and allegedly attacked Carter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520586/Campus-officer-shot-dead-unarmed-student-Cameron-Redus-says-felt-life-danger.html

Also from the above Daily Mail article:

A witness who lives in the Treehouse Apartments described hearing 'five or six' gunshots, but no verbal warnings.

'I didn't hear him say anything like, "Get down on your hands and knees," you know? I didn't hear him say anything. He just started shooting,' the man told KSAT.

'He emptied the gun on him,' he said. 'Boom, boom, boom.'

Officers investigating the incident haven't attempted to contact Haidrasl about what he heard, Haidrasl told My San Antonio.

Why wouldn't the police have followed up by now with Haidrasl? I wonder if they have other, more compelling evidence, that has taken priority? Something that hasn't been released. Like maybe video footage from the officer's truck or a security camera in the area.

I wonder if this officer, in some testosterone driven power trip, felt almost challenged by Redus' alleged "sarcastic remark", and felt he had to prove he was serious, and so opened fire? As in, 'Ya actually, I am going to shoot you, you don't believe me?' It would be interesting to know some details about Carter's past employment history, and whether or not he was ever disciplined/fired for any incidents involving an abuse of his authority or any other aggressive behaviours.

from daily mail link ==> Mohammad Haidarasl lives directly below Redus at the Treehouse Apartments.
He told My San Antonio that he was asleep on his sofa when he heard an exchange between Redus and Carter.

'I heard [a man] say, "Oh, you're gonna shoot me?" like sarcastic almost,' he said.
Less than a minute later, Haidarasl heard four to six gunshots.

Officers investigating the incident haven't attempted to contact Haidrasl about what he heard, Haidrasl told My San Antonio.

=======================

both Alamo heights police dept and the Texas rangers are investigating and neither agency has bothered to contact this witness as of this interview. this inaction does not bode well for these groups, imo.

glad Cameron's parents have hired a lawyer. (from link also)

Video report:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2013/12/09/cops-shoot-college-student.cnn.html

Shows the students mourning Cameron and talking about how nice and non-confrontational he was. From what we've seen so far, it's hard for me to believe he approached the officer. They had pulled in and stopped at Cameron's home; I think the officer approached him and grabbed him to detain him to give him the traffic ticket. Why couldn't it wait? He could have put it under the windshield wiper or mailed it. So instead, for a lousy traffic ticket a brilliant and well liked UNARMED student with a good future, who could make a contribution to society is killed, devastating his family and an entire school.

With this officer's background of being moved around from LE to LE depts. for some reason, there have been problems with him in the past.

As shown above the Texas Rangers are now involved in the investigation and I'm sure they will get to the bottom of this.

Also, welcome to the forum and the case, Paragirl!

Well under a half mile from where I lived for eight years. Very very distressing. No reason whatsoever for a UIW campus cop to have made a traffic stop there. It's AHPD territory and SAPD is always in the vicinity too.

Aside from any of the other dodgy aspects of this -- 4 to EIGHT shots????? And, I am presuming, at close range?

WTH. How dead did he -want- this kid to be?

A badge and a gun is a big draw to some pretty seriously effed-up individuals. Campus cops NEED to be even more stringently vetted than other police officers, IMO. Mainly as it's the fallback for too many people who didn't make the cut for regular police work, and for damn good reason.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back