860 users online (175 members and 685 guests)  

Websleuths News

IN - Ricky Spindler, 21, Munster, 15 Nov 2013

Ricky Spindler

Ricky Spindler, 21, from Munster, Ind. has been missing since Friday, Nov. 15, 2013 at around 3:30 p.m. Nicole Spindler, Ricky's sister, said her brother has been depressed and may be trying to get to Indianapolis. The car he was driving was found in Grant Park, IL along with phone next to a pond.

Spindler is around 6'-4" with a thin build, brown eyes and short, brown hair, according to the county sheriff's Facebook page. He was last seen wearing a black coat, black pants, an Adidas shirt and no shoes.

My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

Justice for Jennifer

Rest in peace Danielle and Tammy

On Dec 1, his Dad posted some heartbreaking words on the Find Ricky FB. Obviously Ricky felt like he had lost any hope, was a burden to everyone and didn't have anything to offer to the world. He had been off his medication for over 2 weeks prior to his disappearance.

Sadly I don't think this will have a good outcome. I just hope they will find him soon. So sad...

up north

NamUs Profile

Case Information
    First name
    Middle name
    Last name
    Date last seen
    November 15, 2013 09:20
    Date entered
    Age last seen
    21 to 21 years old
    Age now
    21 years old
    Height (inches)
    75.0 to 77.0
    Weight (pounds)
    170.0 to 180.0

Just finished reading all the posts and comments on Ricky's FB missing page. He needed medication for some type of condition, but no one is saying exactly what that was, whether anxiety, bi-polar, or whatever.

Found this bizarre episode that took place shortly before he disappeared:

Richard E. Spindler, 21, **** Biltmore Road, was charged with resisting arrest, aggravated battery and criminal trespassing at 4:40 p.m. Sept. 30.

Police arrived in the 300 block of Brentwood Place after a neighbor called to report a man in plaid pajama pants and black socks, with no shoes, crawling through the window of a home.
    Possibly another result of not taking his meds? In any case, this would definitely have been a major stressor for Ricky and his family, with bail and attorney meetings and most likely a court date coming up. Were there other, lesser episodes that didn't make the news? Was this what made Ricky feel like he was more trouble than he was worth to his family? And now his family says he may think he's in further legal trouble for taking off in his sister's car.

It's a very sad situation and I sincerely hope that he's holed up in a homeless shelter somewhere, staying safe and warm until he is found.

Here's a map; it's about 40 miles from Downers Grove to Munster, and about 30 miles from Munster to Grant Park. The blue markers are possible sightings:

According to Ricky's family, his cell phone was discovered at the back of a property near where the car was found.

Family members were supposed to go watch security video from a gas station at the location of one of the sightings, but have given no word on whether they were able to see Ricky in that video. There were two more unconfirmed sightings in December in the area of Merrillville, IN. Other than that, nothing.

In the backwoods of Virginia
    This breaks my heart!
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Great post, Tulessa!

I don't think he will be found alive though, sadly. Sounds like a possible suicide to me.

Ricky's grandpa just passed away several days ago. Ricky is still missing. What a sad situation for the family.

According to the Find Ricky FB, Ricky was located deceased in Grant Park, Illinois. It appears he died of hypothermia. RIP Ricky.

Missing Munster man’s remains found in Kankakee County
    May 12, 2014 5:30PM
    Updated: June 14, 2014 6:35AM

The body of a Munster man missing since November has been identified.

Kankakee County Coroner Bob Kessner’s office on Monday announced that remains found May 6 in a Grant Park, Illinois, farm field are those of Richard E. Spindler, 22, of the 8000 block of Hohman Avenue. Spindler was last seen Nov. 15 in Munster by a relative.

The next day, Spindler’s car was found in the vicinity of 9000 North Road and 12000 East Road in rural Grant Park.

The remains, which were scattered over a large area, were recovered over the course of two days and taken to DuPage County to an odontologist and anthropologist, who determined the positive ID. There was no evidence of foul play and Spindler’s death has been ruled “undetermined.”