973 users online (166 members and 807 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

History-making cold temperatures in the northwest - December 2013

EUGENE, Ore. -- Forecasters predict that Oregon will see its coldest night in over 40 years as many cities are still reeling from Friday’s snowstorm that dumped over a foot of snow across the southern Willamette Valley.

The day of snow on Friday made for slick driving conditions in Oregon and southwest Washington. While the precipitation is considered to be over, officials say an extreme cold snap will set in.

The Eugene Airport registered 3 degrees F just before 9 p.m., tying the coldest temperature recorded for the city since December 11, 1972.

The cold snap of 1972 set record lows: December 7 was 6 below zero; December 8 saw 12 below zero - the coldest temperature since weather-record keeping started in Eugene back in 1892.

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/Snow-...234915391.html

I have friends who live in the countryside who have no water due to frozen pumps - and even one who lives in the city limits whose pipes froze! A friend just wrote that it's registering -9 at the airport right now!

Oregon is also having unusually cold weather. Eugene and Corvallis got seven and nine inches of snow Friday, respectively, causing classes to be canceled at the University of Oregon and Oregon State University. Portland got a half-inch dusting of snow.

Eugene is expected to have a low temperature of negative 4 degrees Saturday night, which is the lowest since 1972, Andy Bryant, a National Weather Service hydrologist in Portland, told The Times.

Bryant said that the cold will continue at least through Monday, but maybe longer.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...,7894299.story

This is completely crazy!

When I got the email from my kid's preschool today saying that classes will be cancelled (again) tomorrow I promptly wrote her back and requested Valium.

The poor birdies are so hungry and my chickens are too...too chicken to go out into the snow. The geese are hiding in the garage and the carpet-peeing cat is inside. Yesterday I was checking the hummingbird feeder to see if the nectar was frozen and one poor little guy sat and drank from the feeder while it was in my hands! There was also a very confused bat in the garage this morning. It's all just so strange!

I am ALLDONE with snow. Never in a million years would I have said that I miss the rain!

seguek9 is offline 3rd generation Wiccan-verified Peace Keeper
    It's been awful for over a week in Montana....we hit 8 degrees today and celebrated the "warmth" LOL

Frozen pipes and now lots of snow. I've gone through a months' worth of wood in 10 days (our only source of heat) ...it's really scary!!!

Stay safe and warm everyone!!

Watching the news and they are saying schools will be closed tomorrow again. Our crew hasn't been able to work because the machinery isn't even operating. Everything is so frozen. Lots of my friends have lost water and had pipes burst. When is it going to end?

So much for global warming right?

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2
    <Click on User CP>
    Scroll down and on the left
    <Click on Edit Ignore List>
    In add a Member to your list
    <start typing the name of the person you want to ignore>
    <Click on OKay>

IF WE COOK IT THEY WILL COME!

Brrrr. Y'all bundle up & stay warm. Bring the pets inside & put out food for wildlife.

We hovered around 80 today & people are complaining about that. Not me!

And I'm heading to Albany for Christmas. LOL. I am also planning on moving there next summer...and I can't wait.

My nieces and nephew got Friday and today off from school, due to snow. And they have a frozen pipe at their house, too.

Bless their hearts...and bless mine next year.

(TBH, I can't wait...although I don't know how to live in the cold like that, I'm looking forward to learning it. )

Best-
    Herding Cats
    When you find yourself in the position to help somebody, do not feel burdened. Rather, feel happy and blessed because God is answering that person's prayer through you. In that moment, you are God's Angel - His door to reach through and bring light to someone who is struggling in the darkness.

Be God's Light. Be God's love. Be an answered prayer. Be God's Door.

Being in North Texas...... last couple days not sure how those who get this kind of weather so often do it. Like living in an ice box. I like it cold and I like the occasional snow but this ice stuff.......no thanks. Brrrr Think warm thoughts hope some warmth comes that way. Stay safe.

I'm fine with snow and cold temperatures until the weather starts causing damage and loss of income. Then I'm not so fine with it.

The weather reporter had a funny quip about the storm.. After showing clips of numerous car crashes in whiteout conditions the reporter said, "The storm is heading north, into Canada, where they call major storms like this ...normal winter weather.

Even so, it's cold and stormy and I'm happy to stay at home tonight.

We have had very very colds temps (for here). The local transportation folks say that haven't seen anything like it and since it is so rare we don't have the plow crews / equipment to deal with it. Fun! We have been stuck in our neighborhood for 5 days now. We could leave for an emergency or supplies but why put us at risk if we don't need to get on the road?

The tow truck co. said they got 350+ calls over the weekend and still haven't answered them all.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalei321 View Post
    So much for global warming right?

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2
    Well, actually, no. But let's not get into that here.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Winter Weather Watch: Great Lakes Snow, Watching Weekend Storm

http://www.wunderground.com/news/win...-2014-20131002

Another storm will spread snow by Saturday from the Great Lakes through Upstate New York to New England... Probably a wintry mix in the DC to NYC corridor and rain southward to the Gulf Coast... Details will become more clear over time but there is potential to name this storm. If so it would be ELECTRA, from Greek mythology, the Princess of Argos.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

This AM, early, it was 11 degrees in PA, after yesterday's snow. A temp of 11 degrees is COLD in damp PA. I'm sitting in my apartment looking out, seeing my snow-covered car - cleaned it once, watching the snow freeze on it. I'm seeing winter, a cold, snowy one. I'm just glad I'm retired and no longer plowing snow on I-95.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast