910 users online (166 members and 744 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

KS - Gianfranco Villagomez-Saldana, 23, Lawrence, 7 Dec 2013

"Gianfranco Villagomez-Saldana was last seen walking from a home near 9th and Michigan Street, towards his destination near 11th and Mississippi Street. Villagomez, a 23 year old University of Kansas graduate student from Peru, was reported missing by friends at approximately 7pm Saturday evening."

LINK TO MAP:
    http://goo.gl/maps/kLXV8

"Villagomez is described as being approximately 58 tall, weighing 165 pounds, with black hair, brown eyes and glasses. He was last seen wearing a blue shirt with a KU Jayhawk logo on it, a long sleeve gray shirt, a black jacket, jeans and white tennis shoes. A photograph of Villagomez is attached to this release.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Lawrence Police Department at 785-832-7509 or CrimeStoppers at 785-843-TIPS."

Lawrence police search for missing KU student

[snip]

Police say the 23-year-old University of Kansas graduate student from Peru was last seen early Saturday morning in central Lawrence.

Villagomez-Saldana was last seen walking from a home near Ninth and Michigan streets towards his destination near 11th and Mississippi streets.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/24167116/...ing-ku-student

The 11th and Mississippi location is essentially right on the northeast corner of the campus....literally within sight of the football stadium and student union parking garage, a number of apartment complexes, student rental houses and two dorm complexes. On the map below, zoom in to the campus area and find the football stadium at the northeast corner of campus green shading. That is 11th and Mississippi.

http://places.ku.edu/map

9th and Michigan is two blocks north and then six streets to the west. All of these areas are well traveled student housing areas. 9th street has a number of businesses such as pizza places and sandwich shops.

It appears from the map there are some businesses along the possible route (Rick's Place, Papa John's). Hopefully a surveillance cam captured him somewhere.

I had to google "achning house" bc I hadn't heard that before (on map):
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ning_House.JPG

The map link in post #5 can be changed to satellite so that you are able to see the exact route he would most likely be walking.

This is another college town with a large river running through the middle of it.....but the river is a considerable walk in the OPPOSITE direction he would have been taking back toward campus.

Temperatures on Friday were a high of 21 degrees and a low of 9 degrees. This is far below normal averages and exceptionally COLD for this time of year in the area.

I'm assuming he was fairly well known on campus...he was a resident advisor at some point. So hopefully there are lots of people out looking for him.

It appears his gf reported him missing.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
    I'm assuming he was fairly well known on campus...he was a resident advisor at some point. So hopefully there are lots of people out looking for him.

It appears his gf reported him missing.
    According to the Help Find Page on FB, the students are out in force searching throughout this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by raeann View Post
    Temperatures on Friday were a high of 21 degrees and a low of 9 degrees. This is far below normal averages and exceptionally COLD for this time of year in the area.
    Is there snow? Wonder if he could have gotten disoriented and hypothermic in the fresh snow and unseasonably low temps? Similar to Jon Lacina possibly?
    Found Deceased IA- Jonathan Lacina: ISU Student, 21, Ames, 22 Jan 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Only a light dusting, not much at all.....and this area is VERY familiar to all the students on campus, I really can't imagine that a grad student who has been there for several years would be confused so close to campus. The stadium is easily seen and the entire perimeter lighted as there are parking areas around it that are used daily. I haven't seen whether there was any alcohol involved, but it was VERY cold that night. I don't know how exact their 2 am time last seen may be, but I believe a few of the businesses along the way would still have been open at that hour if he needed to step inside for a bit to warm up.

I am worried. It is finals week here- and was last week for other colleges. Finals tend to stress even the best students to their limits.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast