Actress Eleanor Parker has died

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dead

Family friend says Parker died from complications related to pneumonia

Author: By Alan Duke CNN

Published On: Dec 10 2013 09:27:01 AM EST Updated On: Dec 10 2013 12:15:12 AM EST

LOS ANGELES (CNN) -
Actress Eleanor Parker, nominated for three Oscars and known for her "Sound of Music" role, died Monday at 91, her family said.

Parker died at a medical facility near her Palm Springs, Calif., home from complications related to pneumonia, according to director Richard Gale, who is a family friend...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/enter...dead/-/1718940/23409752/-/fg6myg/-/index.html

'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91

JESSICA HERNDON, AP
2 hours ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Eleanor Parker, who was nominated for Academy Awards three times for her portrayals of strong-willed women and played a scheming baroness in "The Sound of Music," has died at 91.

Family friend Richard Gale said Parker died Monday morning due to complications from pneumonia. "She passed away peacefully, surrounded by her children at a medical facility near her home in Palm Springs," Gale added.

Parker was nominated for Oscars in 1950, 1951 and 1955, but then saw her career begin to wane in the early 1960s. Her last memorable role came in 1965's "The Sound of Music," in which she played the scheming baroness who loses Christopher Plummer to Julie Andrews...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20131209/US--Film-Obit-Eleanor.Parker/

I remember seeing her in a movie at the theater in 1954 called The Naked Jungle with Charlton Heston. As far as I know, it was the first nature run amok/Sci-Fi/disaster movie. R.I.P. Eleanor

Aww..she finally passed away.

I spent many, many hours studying her performances for technique. Man with a Golden Arm, Of Human Bondage, The Seventh Sin, and the remarkably frightful Caged. Eek! Parker went totally against type, camping it up as the prison matron from hell. What a hoot! I recall watching it on the little B&W television in my bedroom when I was about 11-12. Talk about scared straight! I was determined never to get in trouble after seeing that film.

Rest in Peace :rose:

TCM Remembers Eleanor Parker (1922-2013) - 12/17

A good case can be made for Eleanor Parker as the screen's "least-heralded great actress," as co-star Dana Andrews once dubbed her. A ravishing beauty with a patrician air and a distinctive, throaty voice, Parker might have become the sort of glamorous star personality who amasses a following by essentially playing herself in film after film. Ironically, she may be missing from the pantheon of best-remembered movie stars because she chose instead to create a gallery of characters so unlike one another that biographer Doug McClelland titled his 1989 book Eleanor Parker: Woman of a Thousand Faces. Commenting on her chameleon-like quality, Parker herself once said, "When I am spotted somewhere it means that my characterizations haven't covered up Eleanor Parker the person. I prefer it the other way around."

Today, despite her impressive range, frequent brilliance and three Academy Award nominations as Best Actress, Parker unjustly does not share the name recognition of studio colleagues Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland at Warner Bros. and, later, Greer Garson and Deborah Kerr at MGM. Still, Parker gave them all a run for their money, whether in gritty black-and-white Warner dramas or MGM exercises in Technicolor glamour...

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/935291|0/Memorial-Tribute-to-Eleanor-Parker-12-17.html

Rip Eleanor, you lived your dream! Thank you for that.

I've marked my calendar for next Tuesday's tribute to Eleanor Parker on TCM. I hope they feature "Interrupted Melody" that is one of Parker's finest film performances. When I first saw it, I was prompted to read more about the Australian opera singer, Marjorie Lawrence, whom Eleanor Parker portrays in the movie. I also like "Caged", and I think that Ms. Parker is breathtakingly beautiful in the balcony scene with Captain Von Trapp (Christopher Plummer) in "The Sound of Music". :rose:

Here's the schedule for the Eleanor Parker tribute on Turner Classic Movies Tuesday, December 17:

6:00 AM Very Thought Of You, The (1944)

7:45 AM Of Human Bondage (1946)

9:45 AM Woman In White, The (1948)

11:45 AM Caged (1950)

1:30 PM Scaramouche (1952)

3:30 PM Interrupted Melody (1955)

5:15 PM Home From The Hill (1960)

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2013-12-17

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online