6-year-old boy suspended from school for kissing student on the cheek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Softail

Reaction score
How do people that stupid get to be head teachers? Poor little kid, he should have been given a mild ticking off and told to pay attention to his class, that's it.

No it isn't. Its part of a larger cultural attitude which permeates both left and right wing politics and increasingly insists that children are treated as mini adults. I've complained about it in other threads, and I'm sure some are sick of reading me complain about it, so I'll just say here that its extremely unhealthy IMO, and leave it at that.

Thank you. I've often taken umbrage with little boys/children being looked upon and treated as "little men". They aren't. They are little boys.

In seeing some more reports today, I think there is more to this. I think this is a child that has been in trouble for bothering this girl and has been told to stop touching her. I think he was suspended because he had been repeatedly told to leave her alone and would not stop.

I don't think this is about the hand kissing at all.

I don't agree with the label of sexual harassment but I think there is more to the story.

"District superintendent Robin Gooldy told The Associated Press on Tuesday the boy was suspended because of a policy against unwanted touching.

"The focus needs to be on his behavior. We usually try to get the student to stop, but if it continues, we need to take action and it sometimes rises to the level of suspension," he said."

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=9355577

I am not saying I agree with the suspension for just hand kissing but in more than one report it seems like there is more to this. That he has been in trouble before and told to leave the little girl alone.

What did the school teach this kid? That affection with a female is bad. What a thing to teach a 6 year old. I have to wonder what they would have done if he had hit her? Given him a commendation?

As far as it being more to it, I would have to wonder if there is more to it have they made any referral's to CPS? If it reaches the level of "sexual harassment" is it a sign of sexual acting out? Sexual acting out in a 6 year old is usually a sign that the child is being abused himself. But that is probably "not their job." "Somebody else's problem." Easier to just call it a discipline problem and suspend him.

Whatever the full story, I think its still unhealthy to project adult notions like sexual harrassment onto a six year old who doesn't even know where babies come from yet.

Let's talk about rules, for a minute. Nothing else -- just rules.

Do rules apply just to certain students, or everyone? Why should this child get away with things that another student wouldn't?

It may seem extreme to some, but at what age are kids old enough to be able to follow simple rules? If they're allowed a "free pass" on this rule, what other rules will they not be inclined to follow, either now, as children, or as adults, because they've grown up bypassing the rules?

There can't be any "gray" area -- because pretty soon, the gray area gets bigger, and bigger, and the original rule is no longer known, or able to be applied. No one else seems to be having a problem following this rule.

This didn't need to be labeled sexual harassment, however.

My kids have the same "no touch" rule at their school. If they violated it, I would fully expect, and support them having to pay the consequences for it.

We've become a society of optional rules. Look around you. It's true. Rules apply to the "other guy".

Do rules apply just to certain students, or everyone? Why should this child get away with things that another student wouldn't?

It may seem extreme to some, but at what age are kids old enough to be able to follow simple rules? If they're allowed a "free pass" on this rule, what other rules will they not be inclined to follow, either now, as children, or as adults, because they've grown up bypassing the rules?

There can't be any "gray" area -- because pretty soon, the gray area gets bigger, and bigger, and the original rule is no longer known, or able to be applied. No one else seems to be having a problem following this rule.

My kids have the same "no touch" rule at their school. If they violated it, I would fully expect, and support them having to pay the consequences for it.

We've become a society of optional rules. Look around you. It's true. Rules apply to the "other guy".

I agree!

I don't disagree about following rules, but come on.... Sexual Harassment? :waitasec: Like the mother said, Now he is asking what sex is. It's wrong, and was carried too far. They could have done some other discipline while not suspending him and calling it sexual harassment. They took this way too far IMO! :gavel:

Sexual harassment is an EXTREMELY outrageous label to put on something a 6 year old does, regardless how often he may have been told to stop. He is 6. He doesn't understand what sex nor harassment is.

Should he get in trouble if he's been told repeatedly to leave the little girl alone? Yes. Appropriately. Not labeled with something like sexual harassment. Not only is that absurd for a child to be accused of, it demeans, belittles, and lessens what sexual harassment really means.

How can someone be taken seriously when they accuse their boss of sexual harassment for grabbing their butt and demanding sexual favors when the same term is used in regards to a little boy kissing a little girl's hand?

Let the punishment fit the crime. Maybe the reason he didn't obey the rule was because he didn't see the crime involved. Obviously what he needs is to be sent to a gulag for social reprogramming.

The children at your kids school aren't allowed to touch each other? Seriously? When I was six we used to pick each other's noses.

The children at your kids school aren't allowed to touch each other? Seriously? When I was six we used to pick each other's noses.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose. LIFE TRUTHS MY FRIEND :floorlaugh:

:lol: That sounds way worse than a kiss on a hand or a cheek. I'll bet you got away with it, and didn't get suspended or labeled as a nose picker! :giggle:

No, we all did it. It was normal. We used to chase each other round the playground with bogeys on our fingers too - I suppose that would be some kind of harrassment now too.

Seriously. I'm sure it's the same at 99% of schools across the US now. There is a "no touching" policy. And I live in rural America, in a village with less that 3,000 people in it, not the big city.

Let the punishment fit the crime. Maybe the reason he didn't obey the rule was because he didn't see the crime involved. Obviously what he needs is to be sent to a gulag for social reprogramming.

I'm pretty sure he knew about the "no touch" rule. My kids (ages 6 and 8) do. They are told, from Kindergarten, the rules, and what is expected of them (by the school, not by us, although, we reiterate them at home). Of course, not everyone follows the rules. Those that don't know what consequences to expect. I see no problem with this. If the mom doesn't like the way her son is being treated (as long as he is being treated the same as every other child would be, in a similar situation), she should consider a different school, or homeschooling him.

:lol: That sounds way worse than a kiss on a hand or a cheek. I'll bet you got away with it, and didn't get suspended or labeled as a nose picker! :giggle:

But we all knew who the nose pickers (or worse, boogie eaters) were, didn't we? :seeya:

APPARENTLY, eating boogers is like a natural inoculation against disease. I read some study on it that I can't find now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa