Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 285
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,575
    The worst thing about his defense is that they say he was taught by his parents that people with money can get away with things. They didn't learn that without experience.

    I also love the word affluenza. I didn't know it was a real word. It describes a lot of the rich people in our society.


  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  3. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    The worst thing about his defense is that they say he was taught by his parents that people with money can get away with things. They didn't learn that without experience.

    I also love the word affluenza. I didn't know it was a real word. It describes a lot of the rich people in our society.
    I don't like the word. I feel like when we make up a word like that and accept it and use it we give it power. That is a word I don't want to hear again.

    I believe in this case there has to be some recourse. Even if it is a campaign to remove this judge. I would not vote for her.

    I also hope that this 16 yr old can take this and change his life. I can only hope it was so much of a scare that he changes. No it does not bring back those who died, But I can only pray somewhere something clicked and he will use his life to make sure others learn from his mistakes.
    I don't want you to think I am okay with this sentence or think he should not do time. I believe he should but at this point that is water under the bridge. I can only hope from here out it changes something in him.

    My heart is with the victims families and the paralyzed friend.
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

    All my posts are my opinion only.


  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScarlettScarpetta For This Useful Post:


  5. #93
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Getting the facts
    Posts
    1,986
    I wonder who/where he got the Valium from. I bet if I had to take one guess I would be right.

    The boy pleaded guilty last week to manslaughter and assault while intoxicated. He had been speeding, and had Valium and a high level of alcohol in his blood, according to testimony.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...&tid=btm_rex_1


  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Friday For This Useful Post:


  7. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    22,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    The worst thing about his defense is that they say he was taught by his parents that people with money can get away with things. They didn't learn that without experience.

    I also love the word affluenza. I didn't know it was a real word. It describes a lot of the rich people in our society.
    And judge just reinforced what he learned from his parents by giving him probation. And treatment in some fancy facility. How is he ever going to learn his actions have consequences?
    Just my opinion


  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:


  9. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday View Post
    I wonder who/where he got the Valium from. I bet if I had to take one guess I would be right.

    The doting mama...


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington


  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:


  11. #96
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Getting the facts
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    The doting mama...
    Oh how you can read my mind. That must be why your name is "Reader"


  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Friday For This Useful Post:


  13. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,575

    Check this out!

    Two teens busted for letting Connecticut girl drive drunk
    Police said the two boys, both 17, knew Jane Modlesky was 'highly intoxicated' before they let her drive off in the SUV last July. The 17-year-old star lacrosse player for Glastonbury High School crashed a half-mile later and died before emergency workers arrived at the scene.
    By Joe Kemp / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Friday, December 6, 2013, 8:32 AM

    Five months after a 17-year-old girl died in a Connecticut crash, two teenage boys were arrested for letting her drive drunk, police said.

    Cops said the two unidentified boys, both 17, did nothing to stop Jane Modlesky from getting behind the wheel of an SUV before she crashed into a tree in Glastonbury on July 14, according to WFSB-TV....


    The star lacrosse player for Glastonbury High School died before emergency workers arrived at the scene.

    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2nIzNwtuJ

    I guess in Texas letting someone drive off drunk isn't a crime like it is in Connecticut.


  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  15. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,247

    Angry

    I've stayed off this thread. It REALLY "toasts my cookies".

    'Affluenza'
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...texas/3999487/

    This takes the cake for me.

    We've hit a new low.





  16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BunnyHop For This Useful Post:


  17. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    43
    I would not think the appropriate "treatment" for his "affluenza" should be a half a million dollar treatment facility. I would take away all his toys and privileges and send him away to some remote, impoverished village somewhere (to do manual labor and help people that struggle every day to survive) for the next 10 years to learn some compassion and humility.

    Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2


  18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Myanna For This Useful Post:


  19. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,575
    CBS News is doing a report on this coming up.


  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  21. #101
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Myanna View Post
    I would not think the appropriate "treatment" for his "affluenza" should be a half a million dollar treatment facility. I would take away all his toys and privileges and send him away to some remote, impoverished village somewhere (to do manual labor and help people that struggle every day to survive) for the next 10 years to learn some compassion and humility.

    Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Best idea yet! Sentence him to 20 years in the Peace Corps working in Somalia.


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington


  22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:


  23. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    Two teens busted for letting Connecticut girl drive drunk
    Police said the two boys, both 17, knew Jane Modlesky was 'highly intoxicated' before they let her drive off in the SUV last July. The 17-year-old star lacrosse player for Glastonbury High School crashed a half-mile later and died before emergency workers arrived at the scene.
    By Joe Kemp / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Friday, December 6, 2013, 8:32 AM

    Five months after a 17-year-old girl died in a Connecticut crash, two teenage boys were arrested for letting her drive drunk, police said.

    Cops said the two unidentified boys, both 17, did nothing to stop Jane Modlesky from getting behind the wheel of an SUV before she crashed into a tree in Glastonbury on July 14, according to WFSB-TV....


    The star lacrosse player for Glastonbury High School died before emergency workers arrived at the scene.

    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2nIzNwtuJ

    I guess in Texas letting someone drive off drunk isn't a crime like it is in Connecticut.
    Steely, I hope they charge the parents with providing alcohol to minors. They should have to admit their own responsibility for aiding in his actions and his condition before the accident. As you? or somebody said above, they taught him what they know.


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington


  24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:


  25. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    772
    Anderson cooper just said the rehab facility's schedule would be cooking classes,martial arts training,riding horses and beach access.


  26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cuffem For This Useful Post:


  27. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    772
    The psychiatrist and facility director make it sound like Ethan Couch is the victim.


  28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cuffem For This Useful Post:


  29. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs CO (sorta close enough)
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by cuffem View Post
    The psychiatrist and facility director make it sound like Ethan Couch is the victim.
    I'm in a discussion with a woman on a fb group that feels the same way. She thinks putting a child into the jail system is above and beyond what this crime should get, and that everyone who things so are seeking punishment not justice. I'm going to have to step away from the conversation because her reasoning is upsetting me and causing my copd to kick in.
    imo, jmo, imho and all that stuff


  30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Steft50 For This Useful Post:


Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2015, 04:59 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2014, 08:00 PM
  3. Driver passes school bus on sidewalk, charged with DUI
    By noZme in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2014, 09:04 PM
  4. Driver 5X DUI legal limit
    By noZme in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 05:27 PM
  5. Ice Cream Truck Driver Charged With DUI
    By ariel7 in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 04:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •