1048 users online (240 members and 808 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

http://gawker.com/teen-who-killed-fo...aus-1480835092

A 16-year-old boy who drunkenly killed four people got probation this week because the judge — with no apparent irony — agreed with the boy's defense that he was a victim of "affluenza," whose parents taught him wealth and privilege shield consequences. The teen had faced up to twenty years in prison.

Sixteen-year-old Ethan Couch admitted to four counts of manslaughter after he and seven other boys stole alcohol from Walmart, piled into his car and struck and killed four pedestrians while going 70 miles per hour in a 40 zone. One of his passengers remains in the hospital with severe brain damage, and nine other bystanders were also injured.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/t...dly-dwi-crash/

Couch’s attorneys argued his parents were responsible for the teen’s actions that night because of the way he had been raised. Defense attorneys put a psychologist on the stand who testified Couch was a product of wealth and got whatever he wanted. The psychologist also testified the teen was allowed to drink at a very young age and began driving at 13 years old. Defense attorneys argued Couch needed treatment, not jail and suggested a facility that costs almost half a million dollars a year.
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

It's so blatant in your face in this case. They aren't even trying to hide the fact he got probation because he is rich. His defense lawyer actually argued that he should get treatment instead of prison since he is a product of wealth and got everything he wanted. And the judge agreed. Isn't life grand?
    Just my opinion

I can't let myself respond to this because I would end up writing a book and have a heart attack in the process. You all know what I would say anyway.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Wow.

So if he was a product of wealth and never had any consequences for his actions, isn't this enabling his behavior even more????

This kid better thank his lucky stars and be a perfect citizen for the rest of his life.

Sheesh.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by ArianeEmory View Post
    Couch’s attorneys argued his parents were responsible for the teen’s actions that night because of the way he had been raised. Defense attorneys put a psychologist on the stand who testified Couch was a product of wealth and got whatever he wanted. The psychologist also testified the teen was allowed to drink at a very young age and began driving at 13 years old. Defense attorneys argued Couch needed treatment, not jail and suggested a facility that costs almost half a million dollars a year.

Okay, put the parents away for twenty years, then.

I think the civil lawsuits (which will inevitably follow soon) could put a dent in the parental wealth, making the 450 thousand they may pay for a stint of "one-on-one special therapy" for their precious little do-no-wrong offspring look like a tiny little ding in the portfolio.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Defen...235288101.html

"Defense attorneys asked that he be sent to a small, private home in California which offers intensive one-on-one therapy. They said Couch's father would pay the entire $450,000 price tag."

Enabling his already "I can get by with anything" attitude is sure going to help him in the long run. NOT. What will he do next?

Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    I think the civil lawsuits (which will inevitably follow soon) could put a dent in the parental wealth, making the 450 thousand they may pay for a stint of "one-on-one special therapy" for their precious little do-no-wrong offspring look like a tiny little ding in the portfolio.
    Yea, I don't doubt mommy and daddy could end up losing a lot of money over behavior of their precious offspring.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    I hope those suits bankrupt them.

This is just an indication of how revered the rich are becoming by our society.

Here's another article; http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/t...dly-dwi-crash/

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    I hope those suits bankrupt them.

This is just an indication of how revered the rich are becoming by our society.

Here's another article; http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/t...dly-dwi-crash/
    And they don't even try to hide it anymore.
    I've never heard of a case where defense argued that their client was a product of riches and got everything he wanted, therefore instead of prison he should spend time in a fancy treatment facility.
    Last edited by jjenny; 12-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Just my opinion

This is a must read article, imo, (unless you are prone to heart attacks). It's from the hearing last week.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Tee...234477461.html

Teen Admits Responsibility in Deadly Drunken Driving Crash
    Teen driver had a blood-alcohol level of 0.24

By Chris Van Horne | Thursday, Dec 5, 2013

These snippets from a long article:

"The key testimony came from a 15-year-old girl who was among those in the red truck and spending the night hanging out with Couch at his home nearby in Burleson. The teen testified that after Couch picked her up and arrived at his house, alcohol was already available to the teenagers and she saw Couch consume Everclear on several occasions.

At one point in the night they went to Keller to pick-up four other teens who were friends of Couch’s and they tried to buy beer nearby. They were unsuccessful in their attempt, but later at the Burleson Wal-Mart the teens stole several cases of beer."

"Several teens testified that they had been to Couch’s house before and alcohol was always available."

His parents better have a lot of money.
    Considering his defense just blamed the parents for their offspring's behavior.
    I envision a lot of civil lawsuits in their future.
    Unfortunately I fail to see how that is going to teach their offspring that there should be consquences for his actions.
    Last edited by jjenny; 12-11-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    Just my opinion

Angry

He should have the books thrown at him. I never heard of victim of affluenza.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

And let me guess. The judge was a friend of his parents. Doesn't the judge have to rule based on the law? Or had the parents paid off the families of the deceased? This is another one of those cases that makes me shake my head. JMV

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast