GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArianeEmory

Reaction score
http://gawker.com/teen-who-killed-four-people-got-off-on-probation-becaus-1480835092

A 16-year-old boy who drunkenly killed four people got probation this week because the judge — with no apparent irony — agreed with the boy's defense that he was a victim of "affluenza," whose parents taught him wealth and privilege shield consequences. The teen had faced up to twenty years in prison.

Sixteen-year-old Ethan Couch admitted to four counts of manslaughter after he and seven other boys stole alcohol from Walmart, piled into his car and struck and killed four pedestrians while going 70 miles per hour in a 40 zone. One of his passengers remains in the hospital with severe brain damage, and nine other bystanders were also injured.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

Couch’s attorneys argued his parents were responsible for the teen’s actions that night because of the way he had been raised. Defense attorneys put a psychologist on the stand who testified Couch was a product of wealth and got whatever he wanted. The psychologist also testified the teen was allowed to drink at a very young age and began driving at 13 years old. Defense attorneys argued Couch needed treatment, not jail and suggested a facility that costs almost half a million dollars a year.

It's so blatant in your face in this case. They aren't even trying to hide the fact he got probation because he is rich. His defense lawyer actually argued that he should get treatment instead of prison since he is a product of wealth and got everything he wanted. And the judge agreed. Isn't life grand?

I can't let myself respond to this because I would end up writing a book and have a heart attack in the process. You all know what I would say anyway.

Wow.

So if he was a product of wealth and never had any consequences for his actions, isn't this enabling his behavior even more????

This kid better thank his lucky stars and be a perfect citizen for the rest of his life.

Sheesh.

jmo

Couch’s attorneys argued his parents were responsible for the teen’s actions that night because of the way he had been raised. Defense attorneys put a psychologist on the stand who testified Couch was a product of wealth and got whatever he wanted. The psychologist also testified the teen was allowed to drink at a very young age and began driving at 13 years old. Defense attorneys argued Couch needed treatment, not jail and suggested a facility that costs almost half a million dollars a year.

Okay, put the parents away for twenty years, then.

I think the civil lawsuits (which will inevitably follow soon) could put a dent in the parental wealth, making the 450 thousand they may pay for a stint of "one-on-one special therapy" for their precious little do-no-wrong offspring look like a tiny little ding in the portfolio.

Enabling his already "I can get by with anything" attitude is sure going to help him in the long run. NOT. What will he do next?

I think the civil lawsuits (which will inevitably follow soon) could put a dent in the parental wealth, making the 450 thousand they may pay for a stint of "one-on-one special therapy" for their precious little do-no-wrong offspring look like a tiny little ding in the portfolio.

Yea, I don't doubt mommy and daddy could end up losing a lot of money over behavior of their precious offspring.

I hope those suits bankrupt them.

This is just an indication of how revered the rich are becoming by our society.

Here's another article; http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

I hope those suits bankrupt them.

This is just an indication of how revered the rich are becoming by our society.

Here's another article; http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

And they don't even try to hide it anymore.
I've never heard of a case where defense argued that their client was a product of riches and got everything he wanted, therefore instead of prison he should spend time in a fancy treatment facility.

This is a must read article, imo, (unless you are prone to heart attacks). It's from the hearing last week.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Te...Driving-Crash-That-Killed-Four-234477461.html

Teen Admits Responsibility in Deadly Drunken Driving Crash
Teen driver had a blood-alcohol level of 0.24

By Chris Van Horne | Thursday, Dec 5, 2013

These snippets from a long article:

"The key testimony came from a 15-year-old girl who was among those in the red truck and spending the night hanging out with Couch at his home nearby in Burleson. The teen testified that after Couch picked her up and arrived at his house, alcohol was already available to the teenagers and she saw Couch consume Everclear on several occasions.

At one point in the night they went to Keller to pick-up four other teens who were friends of Couch’s and they tried to buy beer nearby. They were unsuccessful in their attempt, but later at the Burleson Wal-Mart the teens stole several cases of beer."

"Several teens testified that they had been to Couch’s house before and alcohol was always available."

His parents better have a lot of money.
Considering his defense just blamed the parents for their offspring's behavior.
I envision a lot of civil lawsuits in their future.
Unfortunately I fail to see how that is going to teach their offspring that there should be consquences for his actions.

He should have the books thrown at him. I never heard of victim of affluenza. :crazy: :what:

And let me guess. The judge was a friend of his parents. Doesn't the judge have to rule based on the law? Or had the parents paid off the families of the deceased? This is another one of those cases that makes me shake my head. JMV

I don't believe that he got that sentence because of the wealth of his parents. I think he got that verdict because the Judge was trying to help him.

I think he should have gotten time and help.. But I think when you kill people by drunk driving you need to do time.

I don't believe that he got that sentence because of the wealth of his parents. I think he got that verdict because the Judge was trying to help him.

I think he should have gotten time and help.. But I think when you kill people by drunk driving you need to do time.

Help him? Why him? How about other people who don't have a rich father who can fork up to half a mil for a year stay in a treatment facility? Is that the regular punishment for drunk driving resulting in multiple deaths and injuries? Probation and fancy treatmen facility?

Help him? Why him? Why not all the other people who don't have a rich father who can fork up to half a mil for a year stay in a treatment facility?

I don't know. You would have to ask the judge that. I don't agree with this ruling. I just don't believe he made it because this kids family may have money.

I don't know. You would have to ask the judge that. I don't agree with this ruling. I just don't believe he made it because this kids family may have money.

His defense argued that the kid was a product of wealth and had affluenza.
Therefore should go to a treatment facility and not prison.
So what is the basis for your claim that the judge didn't make the ruling because of family's money?
Considering she agreed with his defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh