NC - Searched teen cuffed in back of police car's fatal head shot "self-inflicted"

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Durham Police Chief: Teen died of gunshot wound to the head. (wnct.com)
A Durham teen died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez said Wednesday afternoon at a news conference.
---
Jesus Huerta, who died in a police cruiser in November, was 17.
---
Lopez said a handgun was found in the car and that Huerta was still handcuffed from behind. He said the wound was self-inflicted.
---
Lopez said Huerta was searched, and police are not sure where how he had the weapon. "While incidents like this are not common, they unfortunately have happened in other jurisdictions in the past."

Huerta's family released a statement following the press conference held by Lopez.
---
"How did Jesús end up dead in the parking lot at police headquarters in these circumstances? Searched. Handcuffed behind the back. How is it even possible to shoot oneself?" the statement reads.
---
more, with a video, at link above

Um, yeah, sure, SMH.

I just put my hands behind my back to try and mimic this. I wanna know where the bullet went in. The only feasible way is to put your head back as far as possible, meanwhile (with cuffed hands) hold the gun pointing straight up, with finger on the trigger (without wavering), and pull it (without moving the gun, your hands, and your head).

It was almost impossible to try and HOLD the (imaginary) gun, let alone in this manner, with wrists cuffed together....JMO

Good finds liljim - I knew I'd heard of similar cases (they stick in the mind when taken singularly as they all seem so unlikely at the time) - when I read Chief Lopez's reference to them linked in the OP.

I saw on the news(wral5 I think) that in the original call by the family to LE they were concerned for Jesus because he had threatned to commit suicide. They may have retracted that statement after the incident. I do not have a link.

I dont understand how he could do this while handcuffed.

no idea yet what happened here, but the comment in the story is correct - this kind of thing has happened several times before, and not always with any suspicious circumstances;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ots-himself-houston-police-car_n_2256830.html

This has happened before, you are correct, but to me, the circumstances were always suspicious. Don't the police know how to pat down a suspect for weapons? If not, why not?

As far as I'm concerned, red, yellow, black, white, these cases STINK.

My opinion only

This has happened before, you are correct, but to me, the circumstances were always suspicious. Don't the police know how to pat down a suspect for weapons? If not, why not?

As far as I'm concerned, red, yellow, black, white, these cases STINK.

My opinion only

Yeah well lots and lots of people/criminals get arrested every day. Sometimes there are slip ups.

Google "Ricardo Alfonso Cerna" and hit the video links.

Preliminary findings of internal investigation......

"Handcuffed teenager shot HIMSELF in the head in back of police car, insist North Carolina police amid outrage"

"North Carolina police say they have proof a 17-year-old Latino teen, whose hands were cuffed behind his back, fatally shot himself in the head last year."

"Durham police today released the preliminary findings of their internal investigation into the death of Jesus Huerta as he sat in the back of a police car on November 19."

"Police said evidence clears officers of any wrongdoing, as an autopsy report revealed Huerta died from a gunshot wound to the face at close range."

"Police told a press conference today that investigators found gunpowder residue on a white, batting-style glove that Huerta was wearing and none on the arresting officer's hand."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sist-North-Carolina-police.html#ixzz2q3wIrr00

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back