683 users online (89 members and 594 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

MN - Michelle Meiser, 22, St. Paul, 11 March 1977

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20954/0/

Michelle Meiser
    Missing from: St Paul, MN
    Missing Since: 3/11/1977

Large bite scar on left arm and another above left breast

5'8", 120lbs
    long brown hair
    brown eyes

Wearing an engagement ring
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 12-14-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Added images at user request

This MP has been mentioned as a possible match to the following UID and has been discussed on the UID thread as well:

MN MN - St. Paul, WhtFem (UP 4804), 16-30, Found in Mississippi River, Jul'77 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I did a little digging and found something strange.

The MP on NamUs is listed as Michelle with 2 l's. (Michelle Elaine Meiser)

There is a list on a White Earth (Chippewa) site requesting members current addresses. Michele (with 1 L) E Meiser is on that list.

There is a marriage record of a Michele E Gordon to a Mr. Meiser in Ramsey County, MN. Michele was born approx 1954. They were married on 12/31/1975.

The MP Michelle, according to NamUs, was wearing an engagement ring at the time of her disappearance.

There is a death record for a Michele Meiser, b. 6/14/1954, d. 3/1976 at age 21.

The MP Michelle went missing one year later (same month) at age 22, which means MP Michelle would have been 21 in 3/1976 as well.

What are the chances of two Michele/Michelle Meisers, same age, and one passes away at age 21, and the other goes missing at age 22, both in March?

I'd be inclined to think that they were one and the same, except for the mention of the engagement ring in the MP profile, which would suggest she wasn't married, while the other one apparently was.

I think it's especially pertinent because the UID (which I think is a very likely match, btw especially because a fetus was found not too far away from the UID several days earlier) strikes me as a botched abortion, which imo would fit Michelle more easily if she wasn't married.

What do you guys think? Were there two Michelles?
    Last edited by KateB; 04-09-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Meiser seems a pretty common surname, there. Here's a charming example.

In this list of tribe members, there is a John J. Gordon of the White Earth band, but no Meiser. I think the only way to disambiguate would be to find someone who knew her, and I'd say the best way to go about finding that someone would be to contact the White Earth band. I guess it would be an easy matter to check the 6/14 birthdate with the St. Paul PD. If that comes back a yes, then the chances of there being two such Michel(l)e Meisers are really remote.

Be interesting to know when and by whom she was first reported missing.

I have been able to positively confirm that the Michele who married a Meiser on 12/31/1975 is the same Michele that died in 3/1976. I was pretty sure of that already, but now it is 100%, as I found Michele Gordon's birth record with the same birthdate. It also told me that her middle initial E is for Elaine, same as our MP.

I have her parents' names now so I am trying to find out if there is any mention from them about their daughter. It looks like the mother is deceased, not sure about the father. She also had a brother.

Of course, I'm still not sure if any of this pertains to the MP Michelle but I'm digging around right now to see if I can find an answer to that.

Ok, here is some information on Michele Gordon, who married a Meiser. I have been able to confirm that her parents and full siblings are deceased although there are half-siblings, aunts and uncles, it appears.

This is the obituary of Michele's mother, which makes no mention of Michele:

Popa, Phyllis E. (Garvie), Beloved Daughter, Sister, Mom, Grandma, Friend, Age 74, Passed away peacefully on June 18, 2004, after a short illness. Survived by sister Florene Johnson; brothers Richard and James (Sue) Garvie; children Donald (Marilyn) and Roger Gordon; Ann (Albert) and Laurie Popa; many grandchildren and great grandchildren; and many other wonderful family and friends. Preceded in death by parents George Sr. and Alice Garvie (Bellanger); brothers George Jr., Stuart, Dermot "Bob," Don, Warren "Dean"; sisters Marguerite and Barbara. She was also known to many as "Ma" in her walk upon this earth. Phyllis is a registered member of the Native American White Earth Chippewa (Ojibwe) Tribe, Pillager Band. Not to be forgotten is her Fathers' Santee Sioux Heritage. Memorials preferred to the American Diabetes Foundation or the American Cancer Society. Funeral Service Saturday, 11 AM at KESSLER & MAGUIRE, 640 W. 7th St. 651-224-2341. Visitation 1 hr prior to service.

This is one of her brothers, with a mention of him being predeceased by his sister, Michelle (with 2 L's):

Gordon, Roger Thomas 4-3-50 to 6-15-07 Preceded in death by father, Donald Gordon Sr.; mother, Phyllis Popa (Garvie); brother, Donald Gordon Jr.; sister, Michelle Meiser (Gordon). Survived by sisters, Ann Popa Canez (Albert), Laurie Popa Hedesh; children, Ryan, Jessica, ReAnn, and Tina. Celebration of Life will be held at American legion Hall, 854 Woodbridge Ave. (Atwater & Rice St.) Saturday, 6-23-07, 1-5PM. Questions? 651-269-4816 - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/twi....R3ctN5sI.dpuf

and the other brother, also mentions her as predeceasing him, also with 2 L's:

Gordon, Donald Milton - Beloved Partner, Father, Grandfather Brother, Son - Age 55 Passed away peacefully after a sudden illness on July 4, 2004. Preceded by parents, Phyllis Popa and Donald Sr.; twin brother, Daryl; sister, Michelle. Survived by partner Marilyn Wirth; children, Dina (Chris) Greiskalns, Rachel (Ron) Hoyt, Duane Wirth; six wonderful grandchildren; brother, Roger; sisters, Ann (Albert) Cass, Laurie Popa, and many other wonderful friends and family. He was a registered member of Native American White Earth Band of Chippewa (Ojibwe) Tribe, Pillager Band, and a Vietnam Veteran. Funeral service 11AM Saturday at KESSLER & MAGUIRE FUNERAL HOME, 640 W. 7th St. at St. Clair 651-224-2341. Visitation one hour prior to service. Inurnment Ft. Snelling National Cemetery. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/twi....rWfgckue.dpuf

looks good to me! are you going to submit the possible match?
    Children are our future. Treat them with respect, love and care.

I did send an email to LE about the two Michelle's and mentioned the possible match. He said he would look into it.

I've also contacted a University library in the area, and asked if they are able to search newspapers. They can, but their search services are kind of pricey. I think I'm going to see if I can find a public library that has the newspapers.

Hopefully there was some publicity about MP Michelle at the time, or at least an obituary that could confirm that the other Michele actually passed away and was not missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    I did send an email to LE about the two Michelle's and mentioned the possible match. He said he would look into it.

I've also contacted a University library in the area, and asked if they are able to search newspapers. They can, but their search services are kind of pricey. I think I'm going to see if I can find a public library that has the newspapers.

Hopefully there was some publicity about MP Michelle at the time, or at least an obituary that could confirm that the other Michele actually passed away and was not missing.
    Did you ever hear back from ANYONE, about the 2 michelles?

Bumping, Michelle has been missing for 39 years now.

Charley Project

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
    • Missing Since: March 11, 1977 from St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Classification: Endangered Missing
    • Date Of Birth: June 14, 1954
    • Height and Weight: 5'8, 120 pounds
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Native American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Meiser is a member of the White Earth band of the Chippewa Indian tribe. She has a large bite scar on her left arm and another bite scar above her left breast.
    • Clothing/Jewelry Description: A dark green coat/sweater, a brown sweater, light beige pants, light brown wedge shoes, an engagement ring, an onyx ring and some turquoise rings. Carrying a large black purse.

Details of Disappearance
    Meiser was last seen in St. Paul, Minnesota on March 11, 1977. She went out during the evening hours and has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.