Michelle Meiser
Missing from: St Paul, MN
Missing Since: 3/11/1977

Large bite scar on left arm and another above left breast

5'8", 120lbs
long brown hair
brown eyes

Wearing an engagement ring

This MP has been mentioned as a possible match to the following UID and has been discussed on the UID thread as well:

dd9e8d14-76c6-4744-a5a7-91c312036074.jpg
2da57ae3-326b-4c05-8f1a-869161357c7b.jpg

MN MN - St. Paul, WhtFem (UP 4804), 16-30, Found in Mississippi River, Jul'77 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I did a little digging and found something strange.

The MP on NamUs is listed as Michelle with 2 l's. (Michelle Elaine Meiser)

There is a list on a White Earth (Chippewa) site requesting members current addresses. Michele (with 1 L) E Meiser is on that list.

There is a marriage record of a Michele E Gordon to a Mr. Meiser in Ramsey County, MN. Michele was born approx 1954. They were married on 12/31/1975.

The MP Michelle, according to NamUs, was wearing an engagement ring at the time of her disappearance.

There is a death record for a Michele Meiser, b. 6/14/1954, d. 3/1976 at age 21.

The MP Michelle went missing one year later (same month) at age 22, which means MP Michelle would have been 21 in 3/1976 as well.

What are the chances of two Michele/Michelle Meisers, same age, and one passes away at age 21, and the other goes missing at age 22, both in March?

I'd be inclined to think that they were one and the same, except for the mention of the engagement ring in the MP profile, which would suggest she wasn't married, while the other one apparently was.

I think it's especially pertinent because the UID (which I think is a very likely match, btw especially because a fetus was found not too far away from the UID several days earlier) strikes me as a botched abortion, which imo would fit Michelle more easily if she wasn't married.

What do you guys think? Were there two Michelles?

Meiser seems a pretty common surname, there. Here's a charming example.

In this list of tribe members, there is a John J. Gordon of the White Earth band, but no Meiser. I think the only way to disambiguate would be to find someone who knew her, and I'd say the best way to go about finding that someone would be to contact the White Earth band. I guess it would be an easy matter to check the 6/14 birthdate with the St. Paul PD. If that comes back a yes, then the chances of there being two such Michel(l)e Meisers are really remote.

Be interesting to know when and by whom she was first reported missing.

I have been able to positively confirm that the Michele who married a Meiser on 12/31/1975 is the same Michele that died in 3/1976. I was pretty sure of that already, but now it is 100%, as I found Michele Gordon's birth record with the same birthdate. It also told me that her middle initial E is for Elaine, same as our MP.

I have her parents' names now so I am trying to find out if there is any mention from them about their daughter. It looks like the mother is deceased, not sure about the father. She also had a brother.

Of course, I'm still not sure if any of this pertains to the MP Michelle but I'm digging around right now to see if I can find an answer to that.

Ok, here is some information on Michele Gordon, who married a Meiser. I have been able to confirm that her parents and full siblings are deceased although there are half-siblings, aunts and uncles, it appears.

This is the obituary of Michele's mother, which makes no mention of Michele:

Popa, Phyllis E. (Garvie), Beloved Daughter, Sister, Mom, Grandma, Friend, Age 74, Passed away peacefully on June 18, 2004, after a short illness. Survived by sister Florene Johnson; brothers Richard and James (Sue) Garvie; children Donald (Marilyn) and Roger Gordon; Ann (Albert) and Laurie Popa; many grandchildren and great grandchildren; and many other wonderful family and friends. Preceded in death by parents George Sr. and Alice Garvie (Bellanger); brothers George Jr., Stuart, Dermot "Bob," Don, Warren "Dean"; sisters Marguerite and Barbara. She was also known to many as "Ma" in her walk upon this earth. Phyllis is a registered member of the Native American White Earth Chippewa (Ojibwe) Tribe, Pillager Band. Not to be forgotten is her Fathers' Santee Sioux Heritage. Memorials preferred to the American Diabetes Foundation or the American Cancer Society. Funeral Service Saturday, 11 AM at KESSLER & MAGUIRE, 640 W. 7th St. 651-224-2341. Visitation 1 hr prior to service.

This is one of her brothers, with a mention of him being predeceased by his sister, Michelle (with 2 L's):

Gordon, Roger Thomas 4-3-50 to 6-15-07 Preceded in death by father, Donald Gordon Sr.; mother, Phyllis Popa (Garvie); brother, Donald Gordon Jr.; sister, Michelle Meiser (Gordon). Survived by sisters, Ann Popa Canez (Albert), Laurie Popa Hedesh; children, Ryan, Jessica, ReAnn, and Tina. Celebration of Life will be held at American legion Hall, 854 Woodbridge Ave. (Atwater & Rice St.) Saturday, 6-23-07, 1-5PM. Questions? 651-269-4816 - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tw...omas-gordon&pid=89343246#sthash.R3ctN5sI.dpuf

and the other brother, also mentions her as predeceasing him, also with 2 L's:

Gordon, Donald Milton - Beloved Partner, Father, Grandfather Brother, Son - Age 55 Passed away peacefully after a sudden illness on July 4, 2004. Preceded by parents, Phyllis Popa and Donald Sr.; twin brother, Daryl; sister, Michelle. Survived by partner Marilyn Wirth; children, Dina (Chris) Greiskalns, Rachel (Ron) Hoyt, Duane Wirth; six wonderful grandchildren; brother, Roger; sisters, Ann (Albert) Cass, Laurie Popa, and many other wonderful friends and family. He was a registered member of Native American White Earth Band of Chippewa (Ojibwe) Tribe, Pillager Band, and a Vietnam Veteran. Funeral service 11AM Saturday at KESSLER & MAGUIRE FUNERAL HOME, 640 W. 7th St. at St. Clair 651-224-2341. Visitation one hour prior to service. Inurnment Ft. Snelling National Cemetery. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tw...on&pid=2392970&fhid=2880#sthash.rWfgckue.dpuf

I did send an email to LE about the two Michelle's and mentioned the possible match. He said he would look into it.

I've also contacted a University library in the area, and asked if they are able to search newspapers. They can, but their search services are kind of pricey. I think I'm going to see if I can find a public library that has the newspapers.

Hopefully there was some publicity about MP Michelle at the time, or at least an obituary that could confirm that the other Michele actually passed away and was not missing.

I did send an email to LE about the two Michelle's and mentioned the possible match. He said he would look into it.

I've also contacted a University library in the area, and asked if they are able to search newspapers. They can, but their search services are kind of pricey. I think I'm going to see if I can find a public library that has the newspapers.

Hopefully there was some publicity about MP Michelle at the time, or at least an obituary that could confirm that the other Michele actually passed away and was not missing.

Did you ever hear back from ANYONE, about the 2 michelles?

Bumping, Michelle has been missing for 39 years now.

Charley Project

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: March 11, 1977 from St. Paul, Minnesota
• Classification: Endangered Missing
• Date Of Birth: June 14, 1954
• Height and Weight: 5'8, 120 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: Native American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Meiser is a member of the White Earth band of the Chippewa Indian tribe. She has a large bite scar on her left arm and another bite scar above her left breast.
• Clothing/Jewelry Description: A dark green coat/sweater, a brown sweater, light beige pants, light brown wedge shoes, an engagement ring, an onyx ring and some turquoise rings. Carrying a large black purse.

Details of Disappearance
Meiser was last seen in St. Paul, Minnesota on March 11, 1977. She went out during the evening hours and has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

Did you ever hear back from ANYONE, about the 2 michelles?

Sorry, I somehow got unsubscribed to this thread and just saw this. No, I never heard anything back since the "We'll look into it" email.

The MP Michelle has DNA submitted which makes it more perplexing.

Maybe I can get a copy of the death certificate for the deceased Michele and see if she was perhaps declared dead and one of them has a wrong date.

Off the top of my head I can't recall but I'm sure someone here would know - if someone is declared dead after 7 years, do they list the date of death as the day they were declared dead, or the date last seen?

Thats the only explanation that makes sense to me.

I went back to the UID link above and saw that she has been ruled out.

Found something interesting posted in the UID thread, though, by another member.

There is a possible serial killer (one homicide confirmed and he has claimed there is another victim) who is reported to have ties to St Paul. He was born in 1974 and the poster on the UID thread says they found an article claiming his mother was murdered when he was a toddler. I couldn't find that article myself but here is some general info on this guy.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch...ite-supremacist-arrested-oregon-knife-slaying

Wonder if he is Michelle's son.

I did a bit more digging and found his birth record in Los Angeles CA and his mothers maiden name was Gordon so I believe he is indeed the son of the Michele that shows deceased in 1976.

Now to figure out if that Michele and the MP are the same person.

Ok, part of the mystery seems to be solved.

I found a legal notice that had been published in December 2013, of a hearing to have Michelle declared legally dead.

http://publicnotices.legalledger.com/search/detail.aspx?detail=10266487

The petitioner is mentioned in the above obituaries so it is the same Michelle. Either the MP report or the death date recorded have the wrong year. I don't know which is correct.

He was born in 1974 and the poster on the UID thread says they found an article claiming his mother was murdered when he was a toddler.
How do they know that she was murdered?

How do they know that she was murdered?

I wish we knew. I guess the declaration of death would be public record and would probably explain more. I looked for it on the court site and it was listed there but I couldn't find any way to view documents.

It was weird because the site refers to an imaging system where the public can view actual documents but I couldn't find it.

My name is Mary B Dougherty and in 1977 I lived with Michelle and Ralph meiser Phyllis Popa Roger Gordon and Donald Gordon in St Paul Minnesota my email is Eileen moldenhauer at gmail.com

My name is Mary B Dougherty and in 1977 I lived with Michelle and Ralph meiser Phyllis Popa Roger Gordon and Donald Gordon in St Paul Minnesota my email is Eileen moldenhauer at gmail.com

Hi, and welcome to Michelle's thread. Do you have any idea what might have happened to Michelle? Do you remember when she went missing?

Yes we all lived together in the mcdouna projects off of jackson street her husband Ralph and their son Eric had just moved back from Ventura California and she got her own apartment in the McDonough projects right down the street from Phyllis her mother Ralph has been my friend for many years after her disappearance he had done some prison time and I have not seen him for many years I just in the last week found out about Eric and what's been happening with him there are many many things that I remember from those days but I did have a brain aneurysm so some of my ideas and dates are not exactly right i do rember michelle was a dancer she either received a yellow canary color car from a man she knew or she bought when I can't remember which it was I also recall hearing that they found the yellow car in the tow yard weeks later with blood in it

What an interesting story.

Yes we all lived together in the mcdouna projects off of jackson street her husband Ralph and their son Eric had just moved back from Ventura California and she got her own apartment in the McDonough projects right down the street from Phyllis her mother Ralph has been my friend for many years after her disappearance he had done some prison time and I have not seen him for many years I just in the last week found out about Eric and what's been happening with him there are many many things that I remember from those days but I did have a brain aneurysm so some of my ideas and dates are not exactly right i do rember michelle was a dancer she either received a yellow canary color car from a man she knew or she bought when I can't remember which it was I also recall hearing that they found the yellow car in the tow yard weeks later with blood in it

The only reports I have seen, say that she just left one evening and never came back. Have you ever heard anything about where she was supposed to be going?

Interesting if they found the car at the tow yard, do you know where the car was towed from? It could be very helpful to know where the car was initially found.

Thank you so much for posting here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back