1283 users online (178 members and 1105 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Deal would free teen in sex case

A Mexican teenager who has spent almost a year in the Highlands County Jail charged as an adult for having sex with his 14-year-old girlfriend could be freed next month if the judge in his case approves a plea deal reached Monday.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

That's one of those cases that makes you go hmmmmmm . . .

Prosecutors are saying that he's 18 or older and that the birth certificate is fake.

I thought this one was interesting.
    The problem with the birth certificate is that it isn't the same name he gave police, and that when he was initially arrested, he gave his age as being 18 yrs old.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    I thought this one was interesting.
    The problem with the birth certificate is that it isn't the same name he gave police, and that when he was initially arrested, he gave his age as being 18 yrs old.
    But on the other hand wasn't he an illegal? It wouldn't be unheard of for him to have a fake birth certificate in order to appear legal and be able to work. Definitely an interesting case.

"But that appears doubtful. Immigration authorities have placed a hold on him and he probably will be transferred to their custody for deportation to his homeland upon his release from jail, Assistant Public Defender John Kilcrease said.

Prosecutors said they initially charged Perez, who Border-Patrol records indicate entered the United States illegally to pick fruit in 2003, as an adult because he carried fake IDs that identified him as 18 years old. But when the Public Defender's Office produced a birth certificate proving he was 15 at the time of his arrest, prosecutors charged him as a juvenile and transferred him to adult court."

If he was 15 when having sex with a 14-year-old girlfriend, I think a year in jail is punishment plenty for Perez.

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyPigeon
    If he was 15 when having sex with a 14-year-old girlfriend, I think a year in jail is punishment plenty for Perez.
    But is he 15? Which time is he lying and which time is he telling the truth?

Sounds like even the DA's office feels he was 15, since they charged him as a juvenile and transferred him to adult court.

He is probably 15,you see alot of that here with the Mexican population.But he's a illegal,they should just send him back to Mexico.

I feel horrible for him if he actually is a teen!
    If he's not a teen, he's damn lucky.

mysteriew, this statement makes it appear that his birth certificate establishes that he was 15, and the DA's office charged him as a juvenile based on the birth certificate: the Public Defender's Office produced a birth certificate proving he was 15 at the time of his arrest, prosecutors charged him as a juvenile

It was a fake I.D. claiming that he was 18 that got him arrested as an adult in the first place. If the sex was consensual, as it sounds like it was, then he'd never have been arrested as a 15-yr-old having sex with his 14-yr-old girlfriend.

I will admit that in rereading this article, it seems I missed this part:

Perez's former public defender, Jose Concepcion, who is now in private practice, said Perez told him his real name is Oscar. Besides, Concepcion said, the Mexican Consulate tracked down Perez's birth certificate, making it highly unlikely it was falsified.

So for that I apoligise.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    I will admit that in rereading this article, it seems I missed this part:

Perez's former public defender, Jose Concepcion, who is now in private practice, said Perez told him his real name is Oscar. Besides, Concepcion said, the Mexican Consulate tracked down Perez's birth certificate, making it highly unlikely it was falsified.

So for that I apoligise.
    There is nothing for you to apologize about! I think cases that aren't so *clear-cut* are the most interesting. Thanks for posting the link.