Identified! VA - Gum Spring, Male skeletal remains w/ pistol, Bible, Nov'13 - Hansen Franklin

Not a whole lot to go on, hopefully they release some more details (or a reconstruction!) soon.

In the most recent article, it's stated that car keys to a 2003 Jeep were found around the body.

"Deputies say the body likely dates back to 2007 or 2008. They say the land was cut over and burned around that time, and there was evidence of burn marks on the items."

.... and no one saw the body then? Perhaps I don't know enough about cutting and burning, but, come on...

"Deputies say the body likely dates back to 2007 or 2008. They say the land was cut over and burned around that time, and there was evidence of burn marks on the items."

.... and no one saw the body then? Perhaps I don't know enough about cutting and burning, but, come on...

Hattie went missing 2009, not that much later and they could be off a bit. with her car having been burnt that could also explain the burn marks on items. IMO until we know the gender i wouldn't rule her out.

Richmond, VA, 11-23-2013 Skeletal Remains Found By Hunter near Gum Springs Area.

"Hunter Finds Skeletal Remains"
Central Virginian
11-23-2013

"A hunter got more than he bargained for on Saturday, Nov. 23, when he discovered human skeletal remains near the Gum Spring area of Louisa County on Shepherd Spring Drive.

According to WRIC Channel 8 in Richmond, John Grady went hunting in a different area than he usually does and that was when he discovered bones. During his television interview, Grady said he has found many things in the woods over the years, but this was by far the worst.

According to Louisa County Sheriff’s Office Major Donald Lowe, the investigators processed the scene and the bones were sent to the Richmond Medical Examiner’s Office. The ME was not able to extract a DNA sample nor verify the height, age, race or gender of the person.

LCSO Lt. Jeff Sims said the remains are being sent to the only anthropologist in Virginia at Eastern Lab in Tidewater.

There they hope to be able to obtain information from the remains, but Sims said they would definitely be able to determine if the person is a male or female.

Having no idea what the backlog is at the lab though, it could be some time before any further information is forthcoming.

Sims did add that there is a good set of teeth, so if they obtain any leads or if people bring dental records of their missing family member, they can attempt to identify the person."

http://www.thecentralvirginian.com/?p=10631

Someone will finally know what happened to their loved one. I'm always so thankful when someone is located even when it is not the best case senario. At least the family and friends will no longer have to agonize and wonder. They can lay their loved one to rest and begin the long healing process.

I started to delete this post because it was stated in the article that they could not extract any DNA from the bones. Hopefully the teeth and/or dental records comparisons will help.

What now?

I'm fairly positive that there's already a thread on this man. I went looking for more info and it matches up with another case on this forum.

More info on the UID:
- Death seems to be a suicide by gunshot wound
- Remains have most likely been there since 2007 or 2008
- He was found with a Bible and keys to a Jeep made between 1999 and 2003

EDIT: Found the thread!
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10011859

Someone will finally know what happened to their loved one. I'm always so thankful when someone is located even when it is not the best case senario. At least the family and friends will no longer have to agonize and wonder. They can lay their loved one to rest and begin the long healing process.

I started to delete this post because it was stated in the article that they could not extract any DNA from the bones. Hopefully the teeth and/or dental records comparisons will help.

What now?

The dental ID can be as accurate as DNA, and it's usually quicker, so not having DNA won't necessarily prevent identification. And it might well be that the specialized lab can get a DNA using advanced techniques for dried bone, etc. where the local ME didn't have the facilities to do so.

Here are three male Virginia MP's missing between 2003 and 2007 who could potentially be suicidal, and have no indications of driving a vehicle other than a Jeep (or indications of being a non-driver).

owens_earl.jpg
powell_frank.jpg
chick_dwayne.jpg

Earl William Owens Jr. (2007) http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/o/owens_earl.html
Frank Estes Powell (2005) http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/powell_frank.html
Dwayne Allen Chick (2005) http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/chick_dwayne.html

So there are is a good set of teeth but they can't extract DNA from inside the tooth?

I'm from back in the sticks of Bedford County but I'm not sure what they mean when they say the land was "cut over". Do they mean there was logging going on at some point?

I have so many questions:
1. Who owns the land?
2. Is the person who owns the land now the same person who owned it back in 2007?
3. Did the person who owned the land in 2007 have any family members who went missing...had suicidal tendancies?
4. Were there any reports of an abandoned Jeep withing walking distance of these woods?
5. How close was the nearest residence/business in 2007?
6. Who burned the land? Why didn't they see the body?

So many questions...praying they find the answers soon!!!

So there are is a good set of teeth but they can't extract DNA from inside the tooth?
(snipped)

Possibly, depending on how weathered the tooth is. If they were intact in the jaw, they can probably get DNA, but if they were loose on the ground, they might have weathered too much.

But it's more likely that the local ME just didn't have the tools, expertise, and/or equipment to extract the DNA. Also, the process destroys part of the tooth, so they'd want to make sure they had all the photos, x-rays, reconstructions etc. finished before they performed the extraction.

could have been cut over for hay. This is very sad. Because of the location of how far back this may go I have to put Ray Gricar into the mix. PA VA MD DC....all close proximity.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back