Student suspended for sexual harassment after hugging teacher

Fairy1

VOTE!!!
Reaction score
(CNN) -- To Sam McNair, a 17-year-old high school senior in Duluth, Georgia, it was an innocent hug.
"You never know what someone's going through," McNair told CNN affiliate WGCL in Atlanta. "A hug might help."
It didn't in this case because after McNair hugged a teacher, he ended up with a year-long suspension from Duluth High School, putting his college plans in jeopardy.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/17/livin...rassment-hugging-teacher/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I feel a bit sorry for this kid, but I'm pretty sure I made it through school without hugging any of my teachers. I don't really think it's appropriate.

From the OP link:
In a statement, Sloan Roach, a spokesperson for the Gwinnett County Public Schools, told CNN, "Hearing officers consider witness testimony, a review of the known facts, and a student's past disciplinary history -- including long-term suspensions that result in alternative school placement -- when determining consequences."

According to a discipline report obtained by WGCL, the teacher said Sam's lips and cheeks touched her neck and that she had warned Sam about hugging in the past.

Sam told WGCL he does have a discipline record and previous suspensions but not for sexual harassment.

His mother plans to appeal the school board's decision and said the school should have notified her if there were any problems with his hugging before suspending him and threatening his college future.
BBM

I think mom actually used the term 'blindsided' when referring to the hearing result.

After multiple suspensions and that particular teacher's previous warnings to him about hugging her, who could have seen another suspension coming?
(insert sarc smiley)

JM2cts and I could be wrong.

My problem is this is all going on way too much. Kids lives are being ruined over something so stupid as a hug? Or eating their sandwich into the shape of a gun? Seriously? He says he was never warned in the past, but all I know is I saw the video of the hug and for this kid to lose scholarships, have his life/career ruined, etc. is just beyond ridiculous. I know too much about this first hand. Pisses me off!

I had plenty of situations go on with me as a teen with boys that would today be considered sex crimes/harassment with huge jail time...it was all because they were young and dumb and I was not traumatized that's for dang sure!

I worry for especially the boys today!

My problem is this is all going on way too much. Kids lives are being ruined over something so stupid as a hug? Or eating their sandwich into the shape of a gun? Seriously? He says he was never warned in the past, but all I know is I saw the video of the hug and for this kid to lose scholarships, have his life/career ruined, etc. is just beyond ridiculous. I know too much about this first hand. Pisses me off!

I had plenty of situations go on with me as a teen with boys that would today be considered sex crimes/harassment with huge jail time...it was all because they were young and dumb and I was not traumatized that's for dang sure!

I worry for especially the boys today!

I do too! I think we are shaming our boys and young men when it is unwarranted. That won't bode well for society.

I'm sorry but a year long suspension? This is just beyond ridiculous! This young man's life is ruined because he gave a teacher a spontaneous hug? Sexual harassment, really? I saw the video and there was nothing sexual about it. And if this boy had been warned about his nefarious hugging in the past, why weren't his parents notified? I'm not buying it.

Until actual documents come out regarding his previous suspensions, I am on the fence. I saw the student being interviewed on CNN last night, and he claims that one suspension was due to another student putting a weapon in his book bag, which fell out in class. That was a one year suspension. The other was due to medication he had been taking, he was disruptive, and that was another year's suspension. I *think* that's what he said (I was pretty tired and half-listening).

The hug itself, if I were his teacher, I would have reported him, too, sorry. It looked way too intimate to me, and she pushed him away, so she was obviously uncomfortable. My husband is a teacher, and he agrees, it is not appropriate at all. A year's suspension for it, though, plus having to graduate a year late? Seems awfully excessive as punishment. There's much more going on here that we don't know, and I think it lies in his previous disciplinary problems.

I need to see if I can find the CNN interview from last night and re-watch it. I do feel bad for the young man.

Something deeply wrong with this guy and the suspension's entirely warranted. Personal space must always be respected. Don't touch someone else without that person's permission, period.

If the kid is already a senior, had 5 months left, and really had a chance for a scholarship, then why on earth would they do this? I don't know if he has to attend alternative school or is totally kicked out, but now they have an angry hugger instead of a graduated and off to college hugger. The previous suspensions shouldn't be brought into this, imo.

Aha...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/18/us/georgia-hugging-student-suspended/

Lengthy suspensions in 7th and 9th grade. He also states that he hugs all of his teachers because he appreciates them, so it isn't a stretch that those teachers had warned him prior to this incident, too.

If he wins his appeal, he needs to be careful to respect boundaries.

Leilei thanks for the link

snipped from link

McNair acknowledged he had also been suspended for lengthy periods in the seventh and ninth grades, but said the first incident was from a BB gun that another student placed in his bag, and the second stemmed from medicine a teammate gave him for an injury. He had a bad reaction and it caused a "big school disruption," he said.

He seems to not understand very well. I thought maybe he should be moved from that teachers class. But after reading all the other different incidents, he seems to have the problem. jmo idk

I didn't read the stories so I'm commenting just from a general point of view and have no opinion of this particular student. But generally it seems to me that if a student has issues, suspending them from school is rarely the answer. At least if they're at school and wanting to go to college they're trying to do something constructive with their time. If they're suspended they are cut off from an important network of sensible adults there who can advise them, show them the way, discipline them or call for medical help etc. Most of the time I think if you have students with issues and then you suspend them and make it more difficult or even impossible for them to graduate and go to college and get a job etc and they are cut off from the support system at school and spend the time of the suspension doing drugs or something, they're going to end up being adults with worse issues than before. I think cutting kids off from getting an education should only be used in very limited situations. If you can't ensure the safety of the staff and the other students if the kid studies in a normal school then you need to think of alternative settings where he can study more safely. A problem youth without an education is often going to be more of a problem and cost more for the society in the long run than a problem youth with an education and with the support the educational system could give them.

Something deeply wrong with this guy and the suspension's entirely warranted. Personal space must always be respected. Don't touch someone else without that person's permission, period.

I agree. This is a 17 year old FOOTBALL PLAYER who has had numerous disciplinary problems before.

They are trying to make this kid out to be some "clueless little angel" and I am sure that he is VERY far from being clueless! You can see in the video that the teacher pushes him away hard as if he is always groping and being inappropriate and he KNOWS IT! He put his mouth and face against the teacher's neck for gosh sake, he knew what he was doing! He isn't an 8 year old!

If the kid is already a senior, had 5 months left, and really had a chance for a scholarship, then why on earth would they do this? I don't know if he has to attend alternative school or is totally kicked out, but now they have an angry hugger instead of a graduated and off to college hugger. The previous suspensions shouldn't be brought into this, imo.

He has already attended an alternative school, from what I've read. He can come back to school after his year's suspension is over, and I think that he has the option to get his GED (not a great option).

The previous suspensions, plus having to attend alternative school (it takes a lot to be sent to one of those), point to a history of problems with this young man in a school setting. I think that taking this year off and addressing those issues would be a good thing for him, before he heads off to college. With more freedom in college, situations like this could lead him into even more trouble than what he's in now.

Just my opinion, and I absolutely respect yours :seeya:

I agree. This is a 17 year old FOOTBALL PLAYER who has had numerous disciplinary problems before.

They are trying to make this kid out to be some "clueless little angel" and I am sure that he is VERY far from being clueless! You can see in the video that the teacher pushes him away hard as if he is always groping and being inappropriate and he KNOWS IT! He put his mouth and face against the teacher's neck for gosh sake, he knew what he was doing! He isn't an 8 year old!

I tend to agree with you. Strikes me as a troublemaker, who continued to push and push the limits.

I'm just not sure it is an appropriate punishment. :waitasec:

snipped from link

McNair acknowledged he had also been suspended for lengthy periods in the seventh and ninth grades, but said the first incident was from a BB gun that another student placed in his bag, and the second stemmed from medicine a teammate gave him for an injury. He had a bad reaction and it caused a "big school disruption," he said.

He seems to not understand very well. I thought maybe he should be moved from that teachers class. But after reading all the other different incidents, he seems to have the problem. jmo idk

Nothing seems to be his fault, from what he is saying, IMO. I'm sorry, but I'm stepping off of the fence and supporting the decision. This isn't a student whose teachers/administration are out to get him. This is a young man with some issues that need to be dealt with.

snipped from link

OK, he has a problem, how is this going to get him the help he needs? It's not.

I tend to agree with you. Strikes me as a troublemaker, who continued to push and push the limits.

I'm just not sure it is an appropriate punishment. :waitasec:

Keep in mind some of the female staff may have been afraid of this kid, he is much larger and stronger than they are.

If some much larger male keeps groping you even after being told to STOP some of the women may begin to fear things could get far worse.

OK, he has a problem, how is this going to get him the help he needs? It's not.

Shouldn't that have been his parents responsibility.... starting waaaaay back in 7th grade, with his first suspension?

This teacher clearly turned, put her arm and shoulder up and pushed him away.

Also, isn't it odd that there is zero communication between them? No words exchanged? He comes up on her, she pushes him away and he just walks away.

IMO he knew what he was doing was not welcomed.

Shouldn't that have been his parents responsibility.... starting waaaaay back in 7th grade, with his first suspension?

This teacher clearly turned, put her arm and shoulder up and pushed him away.

Also, isn't it odd that there is zero communication between them? No words exchanged? He comes up on her, she pushes him away and he just walks away.

IMO he knew what he was doing was not welcomed.

I agree with you. After the first, or maybe even the second, incident (and keep in mind, we only know of the suspensions, not of any other reports), I would have been in the counselor's office with my son. Making an appointment with the school psychologist, no matter how long it took. There were opportunities to address the problems he was having. Of course, we also don't know if the parent actually did these things, his mother may have.

I had some big problems from middle school to high school with one of my sons, nothing to this extent, thankfully. If he had been suspended for a year? I would be knocking down doors to get help. IMO. Btw, my son is doing wonderfully now, but it took some tough love on our part and a total 180 on his part :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back