NC - Abhijit Mahato, 29, shot to death, Durham, 18 Jan 2008 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

borndem

Anglophile & registered demwit
Reaction score
Abhijit Mahato, engineering student at Duke University in Durham, NC, a 29-year-old native of Tatangar, India, was found shot dead at close range in his Durham, NC, apartment on January 18, 2008.

Laurence Lovette, already serving a life sentence for the murder of Eve Carson, UNC Student Body President, will go on trial on July 14, 2014, in Durham, NC.

This link is from WRAL, Raleigh, NC, and it also has links within it which gives additional information.

http://www.wral.com/trial-date-set-for-duke-student-s-2008-shooting-death/13229255/

Thanks!! :loveyou:​

Looks like Lovette won't be getting out of prison for a while -- this is the 2nd ruling against Lovette about someone who convicted of M1 and is less than 18 years old at the time of the murder -- the convict cannot be sentenced to LWOP but it can be given after the Court decides the murder is under certain circumstances. This LWOP was for his conviction for killing Eve Carson who was Pres. of the Student Body of UNC in Chapel Hill at the time. Convicted co-killer is serving LWOP in a fed. pen.

Too bad, Laurence...
Appellate court keeps life without parole for Lovette in Eve Carson slaying

http://www.thedurhamnews.com/2014/05/06/3841113/appellate-court-keeps-life-without.html

Well, friends, it looks like it's going to happen. The trial for the already-convicted co-murder of Eve Carson is going back on trial for another unrelated killing. He is charged with M1 in the death of Duke grad student Abhijit Mahato. This happened about 2 weeks before the kidnapping and murder of UNC-CH Student Body President, Eve Carson. When the trial was initially screened, WRAL and WTVD were plannng to live-stream. I dunno about this one now -- I guess arguments, etc., and then jury selection will begin Monday, July 14, 2014.

CALENDAR CALL

MONDAY, JULY 14, 2014

10:00 AM
FOR TRIAL
TO BE HEARD BY JUDGE HARDIN:

08 CRS 43173 .....................Murder....................................................LAWRENCE LOVETTE____________

08 CRS 02900 ....................RWDW....................................................writ

.......................................................Attorney .......Karen Shields/Kevin Bradley

............................................ADA ........ Dornfried/Ellis

Bordem I hope it is not like the one WRAL teased with this week. They only showed the opening statements and then dropped it.

What a disappointment! :gaah:

I kind of like NC court system. jmo

Hi, Jewels -- Great to hear from you! I totally missed whatever trial WRAL "kinda" covered this week -- what was it? I'd like to check around & see if they were already covering something else, or the judge wouldn't allow it, or just what happened. Let me know, please, when you get a chance. I want to know what happened & which one it was.

Again, WRAL was planning to cover Lovette's trial when it was scheduled a while back. I'm hoping they will be able to to it when the trial actually gets started. And this case has been dragging along for so long -- interruptions due to other things having to do with Lovette's affirmation -- and re-affirmation -- of his LWOP sentence for the Carson murder, etc., etc., I feel like there shouldn't (please no jinx) be another delay. But I'll believe it when a jury is seated and it really begins. One of his attys. was his atty during Carson & she's a fighter...

Hi, Jewels -- Great to hear from you! I totally missed whatever trial WRAL "kinda" covered this week -- what was it? I'd like to check around & see if they were already covering something else, or the judge wouldn't allow it, or just what happened. Let me know, please, when you get a chance. I want to know what happened & which one it was.

Again, WRAL was planning to cover Lovette's trial when it was scheduled a while back. I'm hoping they will be able to to it when the trial actually gets started. And this case has been dragging along for so long -- interruptions due to other things having to do with Lovette's affirmation -- and re-affirmation -- of his LWOP sentence for the Carson murder, etc., etc., I feel like there shouldn't (please no jinx) be another delay. But I'll believe it when a jury is seated and it really begins. One of his attys. was his atty during Carson & she's a fighter...

Hi Bordem good to see you!

I just now came back and saw your post. It is this Trial:

NC - Murder Trial of Steven Cooley for the Murder of Majid Mohram

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Steven-Cooley-for-the-Murder-of-Majid-Mohram

Now I can't find any more info on the case. :banghead:

Excellent -- thanks, Jewels -- I'll see what I can find, but what you just stated kinda makes me feel like I won't find much or anything as well. let me dig a bit.

I found this article posted on July 11, 2014, while looking to see if they were going to stream the trial.

DURHAM — More than six years after Duke graduate student Abhijit Mahato was found shot to death in his Durham apartment, Laurence Lovette is scheduled to go on trial Monday for allegedly robbing and killing the 29-year-old student.

The trial will take place in the Durham County Courthouse and will begin with jury selection, which could last a week or more.

http://www.thedurhamnews.com/2014/0...s-to-trial-in-mahato.html?sp=/99/586/928/930/

So it looks like at least a week before opening statements are to begin. imo

Bordem let me know if you find anything different out since you are in NC.

tia

Eve Carson's murder was without a doubt one of the most chilling and heartbreaking cases. When I learned she begged her murderers to pray with her, and they refused, and then they so carelessly and selfishly took her life. :(
I don't know if I will follow this trial, but 2 consecutive life sentences would assure this "person" never hits the streets again.
So tragic.

This little article is from WTVD, Raleigh/Durham, dated June 6, 2013:

http://abc11.com/archive/9129718/ --

-------------------------------------------------

And here is a very good source of articles about Mahato and Lovette from WRAL-News:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/2619378/?navkeyword=Laurence+Lovette

According to the WRAL articles Lovette is 23 yrs old now so he was 17 when these murders occurred. What a way to waste your life.

Thanks for all of this info Borndem!

It is starting today, well at least jury selection. I look forward to following along with y'all.

e than six years after Duke graduate student Abhijit Mahato was found shot to death in his Durham apartment, Laurence Lovette is scheduled to go on trial Monday for allegedly robbing and killing the 29-year-old student.

The trial will take place in the Durham County Courthouse and will begin with jury selection, which could last a week or more.

During a pretrial hearing Wednesday morning, Lovette, 23, wearing a red jail jumpsuit, sat with his attorneys as they discussed jury selection with Superior Court Judge James Hardin and prosecutors.

They agreed that all potential jurors will be asked to fill out a questionnaire asking them if they had heard anything about the case. If the answer is yes, they will answer the next question about how closely they followed the case.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/13/4004387/lovette-heads-to-trial-in-mahato.html#storylink=cpy

Hi, Gang - Well, it's this miserable and good-fer-nuthin' convicted murderer agin, WS'ers.

So glad to be back with some good Sleuths to seek justice for another outstanding student whose promising life & light were extinguished for around $500.00, IINM. The folks at Duke University essentially recruited Mahato because of his intelligence & promise. That's pretty remarkable, I'd say. Why do we sometimes lose the brightest of the bright? -- it's mainly due, IMO, to someone else with low motives making a totally and deadly random choice of one road to take vs. another. Grrrrrr.

Here's WRAL's article from this morning:

http://www.wral.com/jury-selection-to-begin-in-trial-for-slain-duke-grad-student-/13809206/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie