958 users online (184 members and 774 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

NC - Abhijit Mahato, 29, shot to death, Durham, 18 Jan 2008 #1

Abhijit Mahato, engineering student at Duke University in Durham, NC, a 29-year-old native of Tatangar, India, was found shot dead at close range in his Durham, NC, apartment on January 18, 2008.

Laurence Lovette, already serving a life sentence for the murder of Eve Carson, UNC Student Body President, will go on trial on July 14, 2014, in Durham, NC.

This link is from WRAL, Raleigh, NC, and it also has links within it which gives additional information.

http://www.wral.com/trial-date-set-f...eath/13229255/
    Last edited by Salem; 05-27-2014 at 05:36 PM.

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

The link below gives some interesting info about Lovette's previous conviction of 1st Deg Murder since he was under 18 y/o (he was 17) when he committed the crime against Eve Carson in 2008. It also gives a few more details about the Mahato murder case.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/12/...ime_and_Safety

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

Lovette wants to appeal his "re-sentence" to LWOP. He claims he didn't know that he had alternatives about his trial for the murder of Eve Carson. He said he didn't know that life with parole was possible.

Link to WRAL article:

http://www.wral.com/defense-lovette-...role/13364471/

Pre trial hearing live right now on WRAL
    http://www.wral.com/news/video/13676846/
    Lovette was convicted of the 2008 murder of Eve Carson and is now going to trial in July for the murder of Mr Mahato a Duke student.

Thanks for the reminder, Lori!

Here is a print article that re-hashes the hearing. It also has the hearing video attached, as well.

Status Conference set for July 3, 2014.

Trial set for July 14, 2014.

http://www.wral.com/defense-wants-ev...rial/13677628/
    Last edited by borndem; 05-27-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks!!

Looks like Lovette won't be getting out of prison for a while -- this is the 2nd ruling against Lovette about someone who convicted of M1 and is less than 18 years old at the time of the murder -- the convict cannot be sentenced to LWOP but it can be given after the Court decides the murder is under certain circumstances. This LWOP was for his conviction for killing Eve Carson who was Pres. of the Student Body of UNC in Chapel Hill at the time. Convicted co-killer is serving LWOP in a fed. pen.

Too bad, Laurence...
    Appellate court keeps life without parole for Lovette in Eve Carson slaying

http://www.thedurhamnews.com/2014/05...e-without.html

Well, friends, it looks like it's going to happen. The trial for the already-convicted co-murder of Eve Carson is going back on trial for another unrelated killing. He is charged with M1 in the death of Duke grad student Abhijit Mahato. This happened about 2 weeks before the kidnapping and murder of UNC-CH Student Body President, Eve Carson. When the trial was initially screened, WRAL and WTVD were plannng to live-stream. I dunno about this one now -- I guess arguments, etc., and then jury selection will begin Monday, July 14, 2014.

CALENDAR CALL

MONDAY, JULY 14, 2014

10:00 AM
    FOR TRIAL
    TO BE HEARD BY JUDGE HARDIN:

08 CRS 43173 .....................Murder....................... .............................LAWRENCE LOVETTE____________

08 CRS 02900 ....................RWDW.......................... ..........................writ

.................................................. .....Attorney .......Karen Shields/Kevin Bradley

............................................ADA ........ Dornfried/Ellis

Bordem I hope it is not like the one WRAL teased with this week. They only showed the opening statements and then dropped it.

What a disappointment!

I kind of like NC court system. jmo

Hi, Jewels -- Great to hear from you! I totally missed whatever trial WRAL "kinda" covered this week -- what was it? I'd like to check around & see if they were already covering something else, or the judge wouldn't allow it, or just what happened. Let me know, please, when you get a chance. I want to know what happened & which one it was.

Again, WRAL was planning to cover Lovette's trial when it was scheduled a while back. I'm hoping they will be able to to it when the trial actually gets started. And this case has been dragging along for so long -- interruptions due to other things having to do with Lovette's affirmation -- and re-affirmation -- of his LWOP sentence for the Carson murder, etc., etc., I feel like there shouldn't (please no jinx) be another delay. But I'll believe it when a jury is seated and it really begins. One of his attys. was his atty during Carson & she's a fighter...

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    Hi, Jewels -- Great to hear from you! I totally missed whatever trial WRAL "kinda" covered this week -- what was it? I'd like to check around & see if they were already covering something else, or the judge wouldn't allow it, or just what happened. Let me know, please, when you get a chance. I want to know what happened & which one it was.

Again, WRAL was planning to cover Lovette's trial when it was scheduled a while back. I'm hoping they will be able to to it when the trial actually gets started. And this case has been dragging along for so long -- interruptions due to other things having to do with Lovette's affirmation -- and re-affirmation -- of his LWOP sentence for the Carson murder, etc., etc., I feel like there shouldn't (please no jinx) be another delay. But I'll believe it when a jury is seated and it really begins. One of his attys. was his atty during Carson & she's a fighter...
    Hi Bordem good to see you!

I just now came back and saw your post. It is this Trial:

NC - Murder Trial of Steven Cooley for the Murder of Majid Mohram

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...f-Majid-Mohram

Now I can't find any more info on the case.

Excellent -- thanks, Jewels -- I'll see what I can find, but what you just stated kinda makes me feel like I won't find much or anything as well. let me dig a bit.

Lovette's Criminal Record link from WRAL-News.

Just to get us warmed-up a bit to the upcoming Murder 1st trial of Laurence Lovette, here is link to a chronology of Lovette's crime record so far, courtesy of WRAL-News:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2924875/

I found this article posted on July 11, 2014, while looking to see if they were going to stream the trial.

DURHAM More than six years after Duke graduate student Abhijit Mahato was found shot to death in his Durham apartment, Laurence Lovette is scheduled to go on trial Monday for allegedly robbing and killing the 29-year-old student.

The trial will take place in the Durham County Courthouse and will begin with jury selection, which could last a week or more.
    http://www.thedurhamnews.com/2014/07...9/586/928/930/

So it looks like at least a week before opening statements are to begin. imo

Bordem let me know if you find anything different out since you are in NC.

tia

Eve Carson's murder was without a doubt one of the most chilling and heartbreaking cases. When I learned she begged her murderers to pray with her, and they refused, and then they so carelessly and selfishly took her life.
    I don't know if I will follow this trial, but 2 consecutive life sentences would assure this "person" never hits the streets again.
    So tragic.

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast