Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20131218/NEWS/131219586/1006/EDUCATION

NEW YORK — The guide dog that leaped onto subway tracks after his blind owner lost consciousness and fell off a station platform is assured a loving home after his retirement.

Cecil Williams, who has been recovering at a hospital with Orlando still by his side, had been slated to get another working dog in January or February to replace the 11-year-old black Lab.......(although he would like to keep both)

If that's not possible, the family that raised Orlando as a puppy says it will be "absolutely thrilled to have him back," said Guiding Eyes for the Blind spokeswoman Michelle Brier. "They're very thrilled their little baby has made such a big difference."........

Witnesses said Orlando barked frantically and tried to stop Williams from tumbling off the platform. Matthew Martin told the New York Post that Orlando leaped onto the tracks as the train approached and kissed Williams to entice him to move. <<< That broke me up......more......

Good boy, Orlando, good boy!!! And you still are a fine-looking boy, too, at the ripe old age of 11!

I sure hope things work out just the best possible way for both Cecil and Orlando.

But New Jersey businessman Andrew Piera, 48, a married father of two and a dog lover, volunteered to pay for all of Orlando’s expenses — for the rest of the Lab’s life.
------

Piera, who runs a trucking firm, Blue Star Transportation, was touched by Orlando’s loyalty. “He’s worked hard all his life, and now he should be covered with hugs and kisses and tummy rubs,” Piera, who has a schnauzer named Fritz, told the Daily News. “Those two should be able to stay together — I don’t care what it costs ... I hope they have a Merry Christmas.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man-fell-subway-tracks-dog-article-1.1551971#ixzz2o9cQ7Juc

But New Jersey businessman Andrew Piera, 48, a married father of two and a dog lover, volunteered to pay for all of Orlando&#8217;s expenses &#8212; for the rest of the Lab&#8217;s life.
------

Piera, who runs a trucking firm, Blue Star Transportation, was touched by Orlando&#8217;s loyalty. &#8220;He&#8217;s worked hard all his life, and now he should be covered with hugs and kisses and tummy rubs,&#8221; Piera, who has a schnauzer named Fritz, told the Daily News. &#8220;Those two should be able to stay together &#8212; I don&#8217;t care what it costs ... I hope they have a Merry Christmas.&#8221;

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man-fell-subway-tracks-dog-article-1.1551971#ixzz2o9cQ7Juc

Awww! What a wonderful Christmas gift for Cecil and Orlando! Blessings on Andrew Piera!

I hope Orlando will be able to adjust OK to another dog being his owner's "guide" -- somehow hope he will get the understanding that it is OK for the new guide dog to "take care" of Cecil, while Orlando devotes his attention to his new "retirement job"...being loved!

ETA: Beautiful "head and shoulders" -- and EYES, oh my, what great eyes -- shot of Orlando at the link!
ETA again: LOTS of great pics, actually!

From the link:

...As a train roared into the station, transit flagman Larmont Smith yelled for Williams, who was dazed but had Orlando at his side, to lie between the rails. The two ducked down in the nick of time, and were not hit by the train....

&#8220;Orlando stayed down there with me. He was licking my face. He was there for me,&#8221; Williams said, petting the dog as he spoke.

"Guide dogs serve a purpose, and they are very loyal and they are very good," he said as he fought to keep his voice steady....
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man-fell-subway-tracks-dog-article-1.1551971#ixzz2o9cQ7Juc

I read this story earlier this week on the subway and started crying. What an amazing dog.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back