Paglia: Duck Dynasty uproar ‘utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist’

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrackerSam

Reaction score
The suspension of Phil Robertson from A&E’s Duck Dynasty is outrageous in a nation that values freedom, according to social critic and openly gay, dissident feminist Camille Paglia.

“I speak with authority here, because I was openly gay before the ‘Stonewall rebellion,’ when it cost you something to be so. And I personally feel as a libertarian that people have the right to free thought and free speech,” Paglia, a professor at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, said on Laura Ingraham’s radio show Thursday.

“In a democratic country, people have the right to be homophobic as well as they have the right to support homosexuality — as I one hundred percent do. If people are basing their views against gays on the Bible, again they have a right of religious freedom there,” she added.

“To express yourself in a magazine in an interview — this is the level of punitive PC, utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist, OK, that my liberal colleagues in the Democratic Party and on college campuses have supported and promoted over the last several decades,” Paglia said. “This is the whole legacy of free speech 1960’s that have been lost by my own party.”

Paglia went on to point out that while she is an atheist she respects religion and has been frustrated by the intolerance of gay activists.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/19/p...erly-fascist-utterly-stalinist/#ixzz2o2cHVTog

Where was she when Martin Bashir, Alec Baldwin and Don Imus were fired? Or when Michelle Shocked lost her career for slamming gays?

He has the absolute right to say what he did, and his employer has the absolute right to fire him for it. It's not really complicated. The first and 14th amendments only address Congress and The State. You won't be prosecuted and tossed in jail for *most* speech. It has nothing to do with private companies and what they do when you speak.

It saddens me that people are unaware of what the 1st Amendment is in reference to.

A&E is in no way an oppressive government entity. They (their owners) have rights as well, but we seem to overlook that.

I didn't see what Robertson said as 'slamming gays' or anyone else. He stated his beliefs. He answered a question he was asked in a magazine interview. It's his right, just as it is mine. If we don't stand up for them, there won't be any left.
I remember when Nancy Grace was on Dancing with the stars. She was pleasant and befriended Chas Bono, but the gay groups on line blasted her non-stop. It's their right, but they loudly demand acceptance, and yet are accepting of no one.
I applaud what Phil said and totally agree with him.
It's my right!

I think A&E's CYA move did more harm than good, not only to A&E but the entire issue at hand. JMHO!

I think A&E's CYA move did more harm than good, not only to A&E but the entire issue at hand. JMHO!

I think the reaction to A&E's decision is what got out of hand.

My take on it is this: Everyone is screaming about Phil's right to say what he said, but no one is considering that the owners of A&E have rights too. Are we really going to get on board with forcing a network to go against what they feel is the right thing to do just because other people don't agree with their decision?

Lastly, I fully believe Phil's statements were a strategic move to ensure his company profits more after his departure. My understanding is that he has made comments before that indicate he is ready to be done with the show. If he makes a controversial statement that gets him fired and gets him millions of supporters, people will buy HIS merchandise rather than A&Es. He may come across as an ignorant hillbilly (no offense intended), but he has a successful business. He's smart. JMO.

I totally agree A&E had the right to cancel him from the show, I'm not disputing that, but I don't think as big a deal would have been made of his statements had they not cancelled him in the first place. A simple statement that those were his views and not necessarily those of A&E would have sufficed. So while I agree with you on some points, with all due respect, I can't totally agree with you.

I totally agree A&E had the right to cancel him from the show, I'm not disputing that, but I don't think as big a deal would have been made of his statements had they not cancelled him in the first place. A simple statement that those were his views and not necessarily those of A&E would have sufficed. So while I agree with you on some points, with all due respect, I can't totally agree with you.

Fair enough! I personally feel they did the right thing, but it's definitely one of those things people will have all sorts of feelings/opinions about! :loveyou:

FYI- Phil is not an ignorant hillbilly. He attended Louisianna Tech University where he was starting QB, ahead of Terry Bradshaw. He played for 2 yrs until he decided his heart was elsewhere, and gave it up. He has a bachelor's degree in phys ed and a master's in education, he also was a teacher.
He is who he is. I am a southerner. I speak with a heavy southern accent. People assume I am ignorant because of it. I figure it is their loss. I am also a southern Baptist, and there is where my beliefs are rooted. If this country is not big enough for difference of opinion, then what next?
The Robertsons have already made enough money for their lifetime. If it were me, I'd just tell people to KMA. :)

Do people who agree with his statements about gays also agree with his statements about blacks? Just wondering.

I live in Minnesota, and I voted against the amendment to ban gay marriage, which then led to our leaders to allow gay marriage in our state. I am very proud to be among "the first" states to view it as a civil rights issue.

If Phil eats pork and shellfish, then he is going to hell...according to his own views on the bible. Just saying. ;)

ETA: Uganda just passed the "Kill the gays" bill. They took the execution part out...now it's "just" life in prison. I found the legislator's comments interesting: “Because we are a God-fearing nation, we value life in a holistic way. It is because of those values that members of Parliament passed this bill regardless of what the outside world thinks.”

Poor Camille, grasping for relevance again after 20 years in the shadows. Too bad her one successful work was a rip-off of Nietzsche.

U do need to understand he may have violated his DNC clause with A&E by doing this interview.
I myself have extreme views on what should be done by A&E at this point and time. It's my most humble of opinions that this show is OVER, and that A&E will NOT align themselves with such homophobic hatred; and or hate speech. That's my opinion on the matter, Duck Dynasty has had it's fifteen minutes and now they are done. And by and from their own hatred spewed from their own mouths. This is NOT what you want your children to grow up believing. Their beliefs, are in and of itself nothing more than hate speech, there is no freedom of Press or Speech if you have a DNC with a company. PERIOD. Esp in the world of Networks. Hate Speech will NEVER be tolerated.

Do people who agree with his statements about gays also agree with his statements about blacks? Just wondering.

I live in Minnesota, and I voted against the amendment to ban gay marriage, which then led to our leaders to allow gay marriage in our state. I am very proud to be among "the first" states to view it as a civil rights issue.

If Phil eats pork and shellfish, then he is going to hell...according to his own views on the bible. Just saying. ;)

The Bible doesn't say anything about blacks or racial issues, so this probably isn't a comparison.

<This is my personal opinion and not necessarily the opinion of Websleuths LLC>

Putting my personal opinions aside, free speech doesn't apply to WS either. Just sayin'.

However, I PERSONALLY don't believe he should have been fired for his beliefs.

<This is my personal opinion and not necessarily the opinion of Websleuths LLC>

My DH's two cents:

"People have the right to protest A&E, and people have the right to tell those protesting that they are right or wrong and someone will be there and have the right to complain about people protesting about people protesting about people using their right to fire someone who had the right to and did express their freedom of speech.......I don't see how anyone in this string had their rights infringed upon."

Where was she when Martin Bashir, Alec Baldwin and Don Imus were fired? Or when Michelle Shocked lost her career for slamming gays?

He has the absolute right to say what he did, and his employer has the absolute right to fire him for it. It's not really complicated. The first and 14th amendments only address Congress and The State. You won't be prosecuted and tossed in jail for *most* speech. It has nothing to do with private companies and what they do when you speak.

I think what Paglia is saying is that so called progressives 'disallow' discourse (punitive PC).
What A&E are discovering is called 'back firing'. Had they not poked it, it would have gone mostly un-noticed. Now the story is mostly about A&E.

I think the reaction to A&E's decision is what got out of hand.

My take on it is this: Everyone is screaming about Phil's right to say what he said, but no one is considering that the owners of A&E have rights too. Are we really going to get on board with forcing a network to go against what they feel is the right thing to do just because other people don't agree with their decision?

Lastly, I fully believe Phil's statements were a strategic move to ensure his company profits more after his departure. My understanding is that he has made comments before that indicate he is ready to be done with the show. If he makes a controversial statement that gets him fired and gets him millions of supporters, people will buy HIS merchandise rather than A&Es. He may come across as an ignorant hillbilly (no offense intended), but he has a successful business. He's smart. JMO.

Do you know much about them? Because they don't have that big business because of him.. They have it because his son is the one who pushed it all forward into what it was today. That is not how Phil works. I think he is entitled to think what he wants to think. I think that his answers show his backwoods, kind of easy going ways. He was not out to make a statement he was asked a question and he answered it.

Why is it only some people get to stand up for their beliefs?

If Phil eats pork and shellfish, then he is going to hell...according to his own views on the bible. Just saying. ;)ETA: Uganda just passed the "Kill the gays" bill. They took the execution part out...now it's "just" life in prison. I found the legislator's comments interesting: “Because we are a God-fearing nation, we value life in a holistic way. It is because of those values that members of Parliament passed this bill regardless of what the outside world thinks.”

What did Phil say about blacks? Re: pork and shellfish, that is in the Old Testament and Phil is not Jewish. ty

I live maybe 5 miles from the Robertson's. I do know they are good people and they were well known in this area long before they were on any show.

I was at the grocery store one afternoon and was struggling to pick up a 24 pack of soft drinks to put in the back of my SUV when Phil Robertson walked by and stopped to help me. We talked a few minutes and found we have mutual friends. I thanked him and he continued on into the store. The whole family is like this. Any one of them would give you the shirt off his/her backs. They support local charities and have really been an asset to our community.

The Robertson's Christianity is well known and I have never heard any of them say a bad word about anyone. They are loved here.

I am not extremely religious nor of the same faith they are. I really wish this whole thing had not happened and feel that when you are nationally known, you need to leave religion out of it. I do agree with free speech, though. He had a right to say what was on his mind.

IDK, but I am not the only one around town that feels Phil Robertson was more or less set up by the interviewer. I believe the interviewer already knew what his stance on the subject was and wanted him to say it so it could be printed.

As I stated, I do not agree with Phil Robertson's view but I will defend his right to say it until I keel over!

:moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members