WI WI - Timothy Mumbrue, 35, & Tanna Togstad, 23, Weyauwega, 21 March 1992

ablewasiereisawelba

Former Member
Reaction score
On 22 Mar 1992, Tanna Togstad, age 23, & Timothy Mumbrue, age 35, were found stabbed to death at Mumbrue's rural farmhouse in Weyauwega, Waupaca County, Wisconsin.

DNA evidence was found at the crime scene but has not been matched to anyone in the database to date. Mumbrue was stabbed a minimum of seven times. Togstad was raped and stabbed twice. Their dog was also killed. Togstad was unmarried. Mumbrue was going through a divorce at the time of the murders.

Glendon Gouker, of Prague, Oklahoma, was named as a person of interest in the stabbings. Gouker stated to law enforcement that he drove a former Wisconsin employer to the farmhouse and waited in the car while the former employer went in and stabbed the two victims to death.

The former employer currently runs a rodeo equipment store in Amherst, Wisconsin. That business was the target of two search warrants in 2013 related to the murders. Tanna Togstad was a rodeo rider.

Gouker was recently convicted to life without parole in Oklahoma for rape and murder and in Wisconsin for rape. His sister/wife, Michele Gouker, who was involved in the rape and murder in Oklahoma, was also convicted.

Well, if it wasn't the employers or Gouker's DNA... weird case.

This guy and his half-sister/wife lured a young man and woman to discuss a land deal at their place in Prague, OK. The young man went out back to a shed, and Michelle Gouker approached the young woman, saying, "I want you to be a witness to this." She thought that meant that they were signing some kind of document, but arrived at the shed to find her boyfriend murdered. The Goukers then tied her up, and she was raped in the shed. She was taken inside the trailer, and tied to a bed there, and raped over a period of hours. Every once in awhile Michelle would check on her to make sure she was still tied up.

Somehow, she managed to get free, stab Michelle Gouker in the hand, and hurl herself through a closed window. She ran to the only real neighbors' house (I think they were the landlords), where they hid her while the Goukers came by looking for her. She couldn't say for sure, but she thought she heard gunshots on the way there. Somehow, the Goukers bought the story that she wasn't there. When the cops came, they found the boyfriend stuffed in a 55-gallon drum, sealed, with handcuffs on him.

Glendon Gouker called his mom to find an attorney, claiming that he'd killed the boyfriend in self defense. Cops found it hard to believe that self defense somehow involved raping a woman and sealing her boyfriend's body in a drum.

After they got a DNA sample, it was matched to a woman who'd been raped in Iola, WI, in 1990, I think. Her rapist had told her, bizarrely, not to take it personally, that he was paid to rape people. I don't know what evidence is supposed to link Glendon Gouker to the double homicide in Wisconsin, but that occurred in 1992, and he moved to Oklahoma shortly thereafter, in 1993. He tried to pin the double homicide on his ex-boss, who owned a rodeo supply and western wear place in Amherst, WI, claiming that he had driven the boss, now 69 years old, to the murder site mentioned above. The cops conducted two searches. During the second one, they pretty much tore the store apart looking for concealed weapons and other evidence, on the testimony of Gouker.

For his part, the ex-boss and owner of the B Bar 10 rodeo supply shop contacted the press to profess his innocence and state that he hadn't seen Gouker in 20 years.

I tend to believe the ex-boss, when he speculates Gouker's just playing authorities to see whether he can get prison concessions, since he's in for life without parole. On the other hand, when I first saw this story, I thought of the distinctive western wear shirt that was found on Racine County Jane Doe. She was discovered in 1999, 6 years after Gouker moved to Oklahoma. I hope that authorities in both states have done all that they can do to establish his movements, because I think it's pretty doubtful that these are the only crimes he's been involved with.

I don't know what evidence is supposed to link Glendon Gouker to the double homicide in Wisconsin, but that occurred in 1992, and he moved to Oklahoma shortly thereafter, in 1993.

Glendon Gouker plea bargained in Oklahoma to avoid the death penalty in the Oklahoma murder by agreeing to cooperate with police in the 1992 Tanna Togstad & Timothy Mumbrue murders. According to news reports, he told the police that he had driven the owner of Bar B 10 to Mumbrue's farmhouse in Weyauwega, Wisconsin the night of 21 Mar 1992. Gouker stated that he (Gouker) waited in the vehicle while the owner of Bar B 10 went into the farmhouse and killed Mumbrue and Togstad.

DNA evidence found on Togstad presumably didn't match Gouker or his former employer, the owner of Bar B 10, otherwise they would have been arrested. This means that the DNA evidence belongs to a third party.

On the other hand, when I first saw this story, I thought of the distinctive western wear shirt that was found on Racine County Jane Doe. She was discovered in 1999, 6 years after Gouker moved to Oklahoma.

Very good observation on the Racine Jane Doe victim. Togstad was a rodeo rider and wore western wear and one could assume she may have bought western wear at Bar B 10 some time in the past and that police were searching for records of any transactions.

For his part, the ex-boss and owner of the B Bar 10 rodeo supply shop contacted the press to profess his innocence and state that he hadn't seen Gouker in 20 years.

I tend to believe the ex-boss, when he speculates Gouker's just playing authorities...

If you read through the online statements and interviews made by the owner of B Bar 10 to the newspapers and TV stations, he said that police not only asked him about the disappearance of his unnamed sister-in-law missing since 1975 and he was accused of murdering her but also two other people are missing and he was accused of burying them on his land in Tomahawk, WI.

That makes 5 people missing and/or dead. I would like to know the names of those three other unnamed people.

The owner of Bar B 10 also said in one of his 2013 news interviews that he had bailed Gouker out of jail when he was arrested in the first rape.

One would wonder, "Which first rape?" The arrest for the 1990 Iola rape was in Feb, 2013, 23 years later! But, according to news stories, the judge denied bond. So we know it wasn't that one.

WCCA shows 01 Aug 1992 Glendon C. Gouker, 21, had sex with a minor age 16 or older in Marquette County, WI. It can pretty well be assumed that person was his sister/wife Michelle (whom he eventually married and who was also charged in the Oklahoma murder).

Waupaca County Sheriff Brad Hardel said "he wasn't sure why Gouker was living in northwestern Wisconsin in the early 1990s. All we really know is that he and some family members had moved to Wisconsin to live for a couple of years," he said. “Why, what the connection was, we really don't know at this point.”

Online records show that Gouker was living in Wisconsin with his sister/wife, his half-sister,his mother, step-father, his brother, his other sister and her husband. They were all from Prague, Oklahoma. Online records also show not only Gouker, but his sisters and brother were all busted in Wisconsin (also some in Oklahoma) for passing bad checks.

Previous addresses for Glendon Gouker and/or his family members in Wisconsin were Packwaukee, Iola, Montello, Westfield and Iron Ridge. One of his family members is still employed at a business in Lodi, WI. Two of his family members had also worked at Stokely USA while living here.

15 Aug 2013 Statements by Waupaca County Sheriff Brad Hardel Authorities expressed optimism that DNA will help solve the killings of Togstad and Mumbrue.

“We have some work to do, but we're really on the right track,” Hardel said. “This is huge, what's going on here.”

Hardel said he wasn't sure why Gouker was living in northwestern Wisconsin in the early 1990s.

“All we really know is that he and some family members had moved to Wisconsin to live for a couple of years,” he said. “Why, what the connection was, we really don't know at this point.”

“We’re now looking to the community for tips to help us identify a match to the DNA left at the crime scene.”

Neither Hardel nor the Department of Justice elaborated on how Gouker was linked to the homicides in the Weyauwega area.

But they think there are people in the Waupaca area with information about the deaths of Mumbrue and Togstad who could help the investigation.

I think there are also people in Oklahoma who could help, too.

Very good observation on the Racine Jane Doe victim.

I also recall a body part of a woman was discovered at a rest stop on Highway 10 near Amherst, Wisconsin some years ago in Portage County. I don't recall the year. It was identified as a woman's vertebra? Considering the close proximity to Amherst and Weyauwega, it might warrant further investigation.

This is in reference to the Walton, Oklahoma crime:

"Gouker's sister, Michelle, will also testify against him. She was also arrested in the Walton murder case, and pleaded guilty two months ago to her role in the attack. She was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Michelle Gouker is expected to testify how Glendon Gouker molested and raped her on numerous occasions, and even fathered her children. She is also expected to testify that her brother would brag to her about killing people and committing other crimes, including firebombing a shopping center in Wisconsin."

http://www.news9.com/story/20075130/victims-prepare-to-testify-against-pottawatomie-county-man-accused-of-murder-rape

Below is a 1998 online ad Glendon Gouker posted at (and possibly used to lure women)...

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000HCs

27 yr.old M looking for others of like mind(Oklahoma)
greenspun.com : LUSENET : Y2K PERSONALS : One Thread

Hello, Im 27 male, live in central Oklahoma ive been prepareing for about 7 years I have alot of tech. And military knowledge, I own and operate a sporting goods/grocery store. I am looking for others of like mind and wouldnt mind meeting that special woman to ride out the hard times with. I am in contact with others in the area who are also prepareing, if interested contact me to learn more, Thanks, Glen

-- Glen Gouker (glendon768@yahoo.com), November 30, 1998

Since he was married at the time it would be interesting to see who and how many women answered that ad, whether they hooked up with him and whether they ended up "disappeared" either in Oklahoma or Wisconsin. I'm sure it wouldn't be any problem for LE to get records from Yahoo or make an NSA request.

Im including this and other articles for two reasons. One, to show that methamphetamine more than likely factors into their actions and, also, I've noticed that many news articles online change into where you have to pay to access the information after a certain period of time.

Also, in reference to the victim being stuffed into a barrel...online records show that Glendon Gouker has family ties to and possibly once lived in Sarasota, FL. That address is very near to where a young woman was stuffed into a garbage container and found floating in a swimming pool.

(On April 7, 1992 the body of Cindy Rogers was discovered in a plastic garbage can floating in the pool at 4580 Gallup Ave, Sarasota, FL)

http://lincolncounty.kfor.com/news/...urder-kidnapping-have-children-together/74240

POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY, Okla. -- There is a bizarre twist involving a brother and sister who were arrested last year in connection to a murder and kidnapping. During a court hearing Wednesday, it was revealed that Glendon Gouker fathered two children with his half-sister, Michele.

"It was shocking to see the DNA results that came out today [Wednesday] that showed he's the father, 99.99 percent that he cannot be excluded," said David Slane, Michele Gouker's attorney.

Last September, Glendon Gouker was arrested in the murder of Ethan Walton.

Walton's body was found inside a 55-gallon barrel.

<modsnip>

Along with the charges related to the murder and kidnapping, Michele and Glendon Gouker are accused of exposing the two children to methamphetamine.

<modsnip>

Appleton Post Crescent March 21, 2002:

Tanna Togstad & Timothy Mumbrue: murdered March 21, 1992

Ten years ago today, Jeff Togstad found the body of his sister, Tanna. She had been stabbed to death in a farmhouse just north of Weyauwega.

Earlier that day, relatives had tried to call Tanna but got no answer. Jeff went to investigate. Randy Johnson, who lived in an adjacent mobile home with Jeff and Tanna's sister, Veronica Togstad, went with him.

At the farmhouse, the two men found Tanna's body sprawled on a bed. On the floor a few feet away was the body of Timothy Mumbrue, Togstad's boyfriend, who also had been stabbed to death.

<modsnip>

Now, with DNA samples in hand, authorities are confident they will catch their man.

"We are looking for information about anybody who may have had a relationship with Tanna," Conat said.

Authorities strongly believe the murderer knew Togstad.

"There is no doubt that he was fixated on her," Conat said.

<modsnip>

Togstad, 23, and Mumbrue, 34, were murdered sometime early March 21, authorities say.

Tanna's sister, Veronica, who lived in a mobile home next door, saw a small pickup truck with a cap back out of the driveway about 4 a.m. March 21 and head west on Butternut Ridge Road, just north of Weyauwega.

Mumbrue was stabbed repeatedly and his throat was slashed.

<modsnip>

http://www.postcrescent.com/ic/assets/flash/GettingAwayWithMurder/GettingAwayWithMurder.swf

Please only copy no more than 10% of an article and do not forget the link!
Posts that copy more than that will be edited and posts with no link will be removed entirely.
Please, please follow this rule.

If you copy an image or picture from another site, please provide a link to the original source or the picture will be removed.

Be courteous to the work of others.
Thank you.

Thanks

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

After they got a DNA sample, it was matched to a woman who'd been raped in Iola, WI, in 1990, I think. Her rapist had told her, bizarrely, not to take it personally, that he was paid to rape people.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/default/files/2013-news/20130204-criminal-complaint-gouker-glendon.pdf

Page 4 of the above-named original complaint states, "...the subject said, "do you feel this," and stuck something in her back. She stated that she thought it felt like a stick or a knife. The subject then told her, "I'm not afraid to use this, not one bit. I don't care if you're warm or dead, honey. I'm just doing my job; I got paid to do this..".

He further stated to the victim, "I didn't hurt ya, did I? I want you to know this was nothing personal, I'm just doing my job," and then patted the female victim on the head.

He tried to pin the double homicide on his ex-boss, who owned a rodeo supply and western wear place in Amherst, WI, claiming that he had driven the boss, now 69 years old, to the murder site mentioned above. The cops conducted two searches. During the second one, they pretty much tore the store apart looking for concealed weapons and other evidence, on the testimony of Gouker.
Some background: Gouker's former employer had changed his name from Lloyd Repinski, Jr. to his current name. According to the Wisconsin State Journal 24 Feb 1978 page 4: Also indicted on firearms charges Thursday was Laine R. Shields, also known as Lloyd R. Repinski, Jr., 34, Amherst, who was accused of making false statements to acquire a firearm.

Shields said he had no felony record when he bought a .38 caliber revolver from a Stevens Point store in 1976, when in fact, he had been convicted of aggravated battery.

The results of the federal grand jury indictment was why the authorities won't give his weapons back that were confiscated in the April 11, 2013 search.

I tend to believe the ex-boss, when he speculates Gouker's just playing authorities to see whether he can get prison concessions, since he's in for life without parole.
http://wsau.com/podcasts/newsmaker-...-up-about-searches-accusations-laine-shields/

WSAU news station has an interview with the owner of the B Bar 10. The owner states in the interview that the fifth murder victim he was accused of killing was his former sister-in-law. Her name was Bonnie Marie Repinski, born 7 Mar 1942, wife of David R. Ripinski. They lived in Appleton, Winnebago County, WI. She has been missing since 1975.

If you check archived Wisconsin newspaper records for Portage County, WI, you'll find numerous articles of a long-standing family feud between Lloyd Repinski, Delroy Repinski and David R. Repinski, their brother. This feud ranged from killing dogs, stealing property from each other, putting nails in driveways and even stealing a van from one brother, taking out the engine and transmission and then placing the van body on the railroad tracks where it was hit by a train and even an incident where David sprayed Mace in the face of a person delivering goods to his father's tavern. The last incident was when Lloyd and Delroy Repinski attacked their brother David with clubs and chains and beat him so badly that he was hospitalized.

This is some pretty serious stuff. Wisconsin Circuit Court Access lists other crimes that didn't come out in the news. I've documented all the above with the sources and more. The owner of B Bar 10 states in one of his 2013 online interviews that he's been owner of B Bar 10 for 41 years. That would be 1972. A Stevens Point Journal article from August 30, 1972 states that Lloyd Repinski, James E. Brunner and Ruby F. Brunner opened B Bar 10 in 1972. Repinski was born in 1944. Shields was born in 1943. So, if Shields took over Repinski's identity, where is Repinski? Is he another missing person? They can't be the same person since they have different birth dates, so how can Shields assume Repinski's identity and claim he opened B Bar 10 when a news article states Lloyd Repinski opened it?

You'll note that the owner of B Bar 10 stated in an online news interview that he bailed out Glendon Gouker the first time for the first known rape in Wisconsin on 07 Jun 1993. That would be his sister and future wife, Michele Gouker, who was convicted along with Glendon Gouker of murder, rape and kidnapping in Oklahoma. (It wasn't until DNA was released in that 2010 Oklahoma rape that tied him to the 1990 Iola, WI rape)

Glendon Gouker was living with his brother, Kyle Edward Gouker, here in Wisconsin at the time. He was charged with writing bad checks in Wisconsin and currently has a live warrant from Fond du Lac County, WI. Glendon and other family members were also bouncing checks here in Wisconsin before moving back to Oklahoma.

http://wisconsin-buzz.com/pdfs/fdlwarrants12092013.pdf

What one has to realize is that DNA on the Weyauwega rape and murder victim doesn't match Gouker or his former employer. This means that there is another serial killer running around in Central Wisconsin (or living back in Oklahoma) who had partnered with Gouker. (Remember, Gouker implicated himself when he stated he drove his former employer to the Togstad/ Mumbrue farmhouse and waited outside while the former employer went inside to commit the rape and murders.)

Have not read about any forced entry. I don't think they locked there door that night after coming home. This was quick and brutal. Like a ambush. I think the guy was killed in another room and dragged into the room where the woman laid. He slit the mans throat quick in the attack, probably from behind to prevent him from screaming, and the man turned around and put his arm up while grabbing his throat and wa s slashed on the arm in what appeared as a defensive wound. If not killed in another room, perhaps he was killed heading back into the room where the woman laid on the bed. From drinking that night she may have been passed out, and the man could have gotten up to use the bathroom than attacked.

Interesting the dog was killed to. Didn't read but does anyone know if the dog was stabbed also.
If the dog was stabbed to death, perhaps the dog was the first victim, and the man heard the dog whimper and got out of bed to investigate and was attacked.

I am glad they have DNA. I was reading the article about the many persons they questioned and took samples from.

If A LEO was here, I would ask if they compared DNA with the man whom at the time wore camouflaged clothing. Such as military pants, utilities i think they call them. And wore a utility jacket such as in the military would. Not saying he was in the military but wore some of the clothing like you could buy at a army navy surplus store. I think the LEOs know someone like this, but not sure if they checked the DNA.

That knife they said perhaps longer than 5 inches. I agree probably more like 8 inch carried in a side holster...This was up close and personal. A very vicious attack. This was a nightmare for both victims.

The bar they were at. Could have been some kind of altercation between the parties that spilled outside, or the killer could have been thrown out and waited for them to leave and follow them back to the trailer.

I think the killer was at that bar. But just guessing on everything i posted.

If A LEO was here, I would ask if they compared DNA with the man whom at the time wore camouflaged clothing. Such as military pants, utilities i think they call them. And wore a utility jacket such as in the military would. Not saying he was in the military but wore some of the clothing like you could buy at a army navy surplus store. I think the LEOs know someone like this, but not sure if they checked the DNA.
Glendon Gouker did wear camouflage clothing and had a knife collection as was detailed in the 1990 rape criminal complaint.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/de...0130204-criminal-complaint-gouker-glendon.pdf

Gouker may have used internet forums to lure his victims such as the one below.

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=000HCs

The newspaper articles didn't say how or where at the Weyauwega, WI farmhouse the dog was killed. LE did say that whoever killed the girl, Tanna Togstad, knew her. A news article stated she was sexually assaulted and then killed. When Glendon Gouker raped the girl in 1990 in Iola, WI, he told her he didn't care whether she was warm or dead. The rape and murder in Oklahoma involved grievously wounding the boyfriend and then raping the girlfriend on the spot while the boyfriend lay dying.

The country western tavern Togstad and Mumbrue were at in Clintonville, WI in 1992 was called DJ's and is now closed, I believe. I didn't read anything on how or if the tavern is connected other than that was where they were last seen alive.

A newspaper did state that the intruder stabbed Togstad's boyfriend, 34 year old Timothy Mumbrue, more than a dozen times, stabbed her dog, Scruffy, three times, and raped and stabbed Togstad once, killing them all.

That account conflicts with another newspaper story that I had read. Below...

Waupaca County Coroner Lloyd Maasch said Togstad had sustained two stab wounds and Mumbrue was stabbed at least seven times according to the Madison State Journal April 26, 1992. The Waupaca County Sheriff at the time, William Mork maintained that the killer was an acquaintance of Tanna Togstad, 23 and Timothy Mumbrue, 34.

Glendon Gouker did wear camouflage clothing and had a knife collection as was detailed in the 1990 rape criminal complaint.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/de...0130204-criminal-complaint-gouker-glendon.pdf

Gouker may have used internet forums to lure his victims such as the one below.

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=000HCs

The newspaper articles didn't say how or where at the Weyauwega, WI farmhouse the dog was killed. LE did say that whoever killed the girl, Tanna Togstad, knew her. A news article stated she was sexually assaulted and then killed. When Glendon Gouker raped the girl in 1990 in Iola, WI, he told her he didn't care whether she was warm or dead. The rape and murder in Oklahoma involved grievously wounding the boyfriend and then raping the girlfriend on the spot while the boyfriend lay dying.

The country western tavern Togstad and Mumbrue were at in Clintonville, WI in 1992 was called DJ's and is now closed, I believe. I didn't read anything on how or if the tavern is connected other than that was where they were last seen alive.

Unfortunately the DNA recovered did not match Gouker.
Seems strange the person has not committed another crime that we know that would have included there DNA taken to compare to a database. Even though nothing matched. I wonder if they was able to match it with any other unsolved murder cases??

There is a chance the person died or was killed sometime after the murders that has prevented them from being detected.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back