1215 users online (264 members and 951 guests)  

Websleuths News

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

AZ - Thomas Lang, 22, Sedona, 18 Dec 2013

Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang is 22 year old young man that has been missing now since Wednesday December 18th, 2013. He was last seen at a campground in Oak Creek Canyon, near Sedona in the state of Arizona. When he didn't return as planned on Sunday, December 22nd, he was reported missing to the Coconino county sheriff's department and the Yavapai county sheriff's office. He has not been seen, nor heard from since.

Height - 6' 1"
    Weight - 140 lbs.
    Lang is a white male with long blond dread-locked hair and hazel eyes with a thin build.

Please call the Coconino County Sheriff's Office at 800-338-7888 or (928) 226-5033.

http://www.kpho.com/story/24289359/s...ng-near-sedona
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

To be a little more specific, Thomas Lang was staying at the Manzanita Campground in Sedona, Arizona. I went to school and lived in Flagstaff which is just a little north of Sedona. I've been to Sedona more times than I can count, so I'm familiar with the area. I'm not sure how many people know this, but Sedona the area is pretty heavily forested, so it's pretty easy to get lost around there. But Sedona is very touristy. The thing that worries me is that it gets COLD there. Much of that area in Northern Arizona is much like Colorado (which is why I love the area and plan on moving back). It's been snowy there as of late, so I hope he's found soon, or at the very least, I hope he moved southward where it's not so bitter and cold. Sedona is also an area of..what's the word I'm looking for....spiritually attractive. The reason I even bring that up is because there has been a lot of spiritually active type groups that come there, so I know there's got to be people around somewhere.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

I'm south in the Valley, lows in Sedona this week expected to be in the high 20s at night.

Missing man near Sedona fasting on hiking trip.

A 22-year-old man missing for more than a week in the mountains of northern Arizona went into the woods for a planned five-day hike without a cellphone or any food because he was fasting, authorities said Thursday.
    He goes hiking in the middle of winter in an area that gets downright cold in the winter, like our own super sleuth CatFancier and I have stated before, without food, and without a cell phone. I'm sure he has his reasons, and I'm man enough to respect that, but I hate to say the obvious, but that was not a good idea. I can old hope and pray that he's okay. From my all old my old friends in Arizona, Northern Arizona has gotten a lot of snow as of late (I miss that area so much, which is why I'm going back for good). This doesn't sound good at all.

http://www.azfamily.com/outbound-fee...237362321.html

Search for missing hiker in Sedona called off.

The Coconino County and Yavapai County sheriffs' offices have suspended the search for the 22-year-old man who has been missing in the mountains of Northern Arizona for more than a week.
    http://www.azfamily.com/outbound-fee...237491761.html

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizon...nues-abrk.html

The Coconino and Yavapai County sheriffs’ offices have received several calls indicating sightings of Lang in convenience stores and supermarkets in areas neighboring counties, D’Evelyn said. Deputies have looked into each of the leads and tried to verify the information, but so far, officials have no evidence leading them to believe Lang left the hiking area, D’Evelyn said.

I do hope these sightings pan out and that he did leave the forest. Hopefully they have come security video that could verify he was there.

I used to live in Sedona and have hiked extensively all around there. It is a dry climate and the sun is warm, even this time of year; so even though he didn't have food with him he needed some purifying system for enough water for 5 days. He couldn't carry that amount on him. I know there has been snow so maybe he was able to just eat the snow...but without purification he could get very ill.

There are quite a few people who go to that area for spiritual quests. We can remember the sweat lodge horror of people dying. That was a couple years ago. Anyway I met many people there wanting to do journey's and quests. I do hope that Thomas is safe somewhere and just hasn't been able to contact his family. Otherwise it just seems like he was so under prepared for the weather. I wonder if his family knows what he had in his pack....compass, purifier etc?

I do cleanses twice a year and started doing them many years ago with just water fasts.(I only do broth and juice ones now). It is so strenuous for our bodies to go on water fasts. I was in pain when I did them. It certainly gets you woozy and not thinking clearly. If he had any type of hypoglycemia he would be in real trouble.

I'm really hoping that is not still out in the wilderness....

How did I miss this? I think they just said on NPR that they are re-organizing for a search. The fact that he is fasting... ugh... Sedona has grown so so much in the last 10 years, and become much more touristy, but yes, there is still that spiritul and mystical "energy" factor there with the vortexes, and it is a draw for lots of alternative, progressive types (no judgment, I am one of those types).

He has "extensive" wilderness survival skills, but after this long in that weather...

Can anyone find any other pictures of this guy aside from the one upthread?
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    ~Margaret Atwood~

those reported sightings are interesting... how do I say this?... I bet there are a lot of young men in that area who look like the one picture they've shown, with the long dreadlocked hair, tall, thin. And that pic must be older since his hair is loose. I have seen guys carrying heavy packs, hitchhiking, living kinda a nomadic lifestyle up in that area. Need more pictures of this young man.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    ~Margaret Atwood~

Thomas has been added to NamUs.
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23066/7
    Status Missing
    First name Thomas
    Middle name
    Last name Lang
    Nickname/Alias
    Date last seen December 18, 2013 00:00
    Date entered 12/30/2013
    Age last seen 22 to years old
    Age now Unknown DOB
    Race White
    Ethnicity
    Sex Male
    Height (inches) 73.0
    Weight (pounds) 140.0

Dental Status: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later
    DNA Status: Samples submitted - Tests not complete
    Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is available elsewhere

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...lang/19848189/

Rescue crews with Yavapai and Coconino counties found human remains Saturday believed to be those of missing hiker Thomas Lang, who went missing last December after he failed to return from a five-day hike in Sedona.

The remains have not been positively identified, but items found nearby, such as shoes and a backpack, indicate that it may be Lang, said Gerry Blair, a spokesman for the Coconino County Sheriff's Office.

Lang's mother called Coconino County Search and Rescue on Saturday, almost a year after her son's disappearance, to report that she and Lang's father had found a jacket and shoes that may have belonged to their son in an area known as Secret Canyon, Blair said.

What a handsome guy, I love the pictures on his NamUs profile. Such a tragedy...

Thomas has been removed from NamUs.

His obituary is online.
    http://www.redrocknews.com/obituarie...loyd-lang.html

RIP Thomas.