1260 users online (219 members and 1041 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CT - John Chakalos, 87, Windsor, 20 December 2013

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...ad-in-his-home

(CNN) -- A man known for his grand 6 million-light Christmas display was found shot and killed in his home on Friday morning.

A family member found John Chakalos, 87, in his home in Windsor, Connecticut, according a Windsor police department press release. The medical examiner's office ruled that Chakalos died of a gunshot wound to the head.

The police are conducting an active homicide investigation, based on the condition of the body when it was found and because police did not recover a weapon at the scene, Windsor police Capt. Tom Lepore said.

I read about this earlier. So tragic, and he just lost his wife to cancer not long ago.

"Not only do they warm the heart of thousands of people who come through, they warm the hearts of hundreds of people in the community who benefit from food and cash donations," said Val Starbuck, a Joan's Food Pantry volunteer.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

How horrible! How could someone do this?

To live 87 years, bring so much joy to so many, and to end up murdered...

A crying shame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

A video of the light display at Chakalos Estate in Chesterfield, NH.

Interestingly, he was not murdered at that estate. He was murdered at a second property he owned in Connecticut
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 12-23-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: broken link

According to Windsor (Conn.) Police Capt. Tom LePore, his department began investigating the suspicious death of the 87-year-old man immediately after being called to his home on Overlook Drive in Windsor at 8:25 a.m. Friday. He said Chakalos' body was discovered by a family member. Joy Washburn, the caretaker of Chakalos' property at 140 Pond Brook Road in Chesterfield, told the Reformer a private investigator called her around 3 p.m. to inform her Chakalos was found deceased by one of his daughters.

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/loca...dered-homicide

Within 6.5 hours of the body being found a private investigator is hired and is on the job. The PI got to the caretaker before the police did? Wow...

Ya - it sounds like the PI hit the ground running.....and the statement from LE almost sounds defensive (or maybe I'm just reading that into it?)

From your link Gene:

"According to Windsor (Conn.) Police Capt. Tom LePore, his department began investigating the suspicious death of the 87-year-old man immediately after being called to his home on Overlook Drive in Windsor at 8:25 a.m. Friday."

"We have been investigating nonstop since then to unravel the story," LaPore said, adding that suicide has been all but ruled out."

This murder really bothers me. Chakalos seemed like such a good man and such a good grandfather. His Christmas lighting displays were so generous particularly since all of the proceeds went to charity. In his obituary it mentions "He showered his grandchildren, nieces and nephews with paternal love". From what I have seen in the social media, that seems very true.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/har...?pid=168768026

It is a pity that such an apparently good man met with such a violent death.

But I wonder why it is so quiet? No news in the media at all, even though he made such a huge contribution in his community. Was he well known other than the Christmas lighting tradition? Is there anyone from this forum who is local to the community?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    This murder really bothers me. Chakalos seemed like such a good man and such a good grandfather. His Christmas lighting displays were so generous particularly since all of the proceeds went to charity. In his obituary it mentions "He showered his grandchildren, nieces and nephews with paternal love". From what I have seen in the social media, that seems very true.

But I wonder why it is so quiet? No news in the media at all, even though he made such a huge contribution in his community. Was he well known other than the Christmas lighting tradition? Is there anyone from this forum who is local to the community?
    BBM: From memory of that area (Windsor, CT) and in a very general sense, it is a quiet, suburb of Hartford. Very middle class, low crime, nice area.
    This atrocity is very unusual for that area, imo.
    There are surrounding towns with higher crime rates though.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post

You're right.....It is strange that there isn't more coverage on this.....especially after all of his community support. Very odd.

That video was amazing to watch....what a beautiful display for everyone to enjoy. He was a very kind and generous man.

Finally! A small bit of news about this case. John Chakalos built long term care nursing homes in the area. He also named the nursing homes after his daughters and grandchildren. That is VERY touching.

http://www.gazettenet.com/home/10019...led-a-homicide

There has been a complete vacuum of information about this case which I find very strange. No news, no updates. Seems like this is headed for the cold case file.

Today, I found something that may be of interest. A parcel of land that was owned by one of Mr Chakalos's companies has been approved for rezoning.

http://www.reformer.com/localnews/ci...quest-variance

A six acre parcel is going to be divided into 5 parcels of 0.88 to 1.4 acres.

It is interesting to me that the lawyer said "told the Reformer he is unsure how the property owner's makeup has shifted since the Chakalos family patriarch, John Chakalos, was found dead in his Windsor, Conn., home"

Why wouldn't he know this?

Just stumbled across this article

http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/l...00bbf4656.html

What impressed me was this statement

The Chakaloses began decorating their property more than a decade ago for family and friends to enjoy. Then they opened it to the public, a tradition that continued for a few years thereafter. The Chakaloses took about a four-year hiatus, but decided to begin again in the past couple of years.

Ericson said she believes the public display returned for the couple’s grandchildren to see and enjoy.

This is consistent with everything I have read elsewhere. Seems this couple lived for their grandchildren. Their grandchildren must be struggling with this. I wonder if we will ever learn who did this terrible thing to such a generous man?

Remember that outward appearances can be deceiving. The standard response up here (Chesterfield, NH) when asked what happened is "wonder who he didn't pay this time". The rezoning was appealed and will start again in the coming months. The display is beautiful. This was his vacation home up here. A 14 bedroom, 17 bathroom vacation home. He was a local (Keene) boy who made good, but there is a reason he had so much success. I have not had business dealings with him, but I know some who did. Not everyone loved him.
    I'm pretty sure this won't be solved, but it would be nice to be proved wrong. No one deserves this.

An article about the rezone:

He said the Chakalos family controls the company but was unsure how its makeup has shifted since the Chakalos family patriarch, John Chakalos, was found dead in his Windsor, Conn., home on Friday, Dec. 20. A medical examiner ruled the death a homicide. Saturley said the death is a family affair and he is not in a position to talk about it.

http://www.reformer.com/localnews/ci...d-hall-request

The death is a "family affair" odd choice of words IMO.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast