1341 users online (250 members and 1091 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Stacy H.-Here's a link to the Fayetteville library, they may be able to provide you with some additional info...

http://fayette.lib.wv.us/

I was thinking the billboard may have been preserved somewhere, as it was such a landmark in the '60s and '70s...

Sodder Family

I met a lady yesterday who lives in the area where the Sodder family mystery ocurred. While she could not provide me with any info that I didn't already know, she is going to ask around and email me if she comes up with anything.
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205
    I met a lady yesterday who lives in the area where the Sodder family mystery ocurred. While she could not provide me with any info that I didn't already know, she is going to ask around and email me if she comes up with anything.
    Isn't it funny when you have something on your mind and some connection pops up out of nowhere?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Wait, I'm confused about the house that was sold in 1989, after the mother died. Was a new house built on the same spot where the first one burned down? Or was it the same house -- and how could that be? If the fire was strong enough to completely consume five children, how could it continue to be inhabitable?

As I remember, there was nothing at all there, just the billboard and an open field. I think she meant the property changed hands and more than likely the area was developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy Horn
    Wait, I'm confused about the house that was sold in 1989, after the mother died. Was a new house built on the same spot where the first one burned down? Or was it the same house -- and how could that be? If the fire was strong enough to completely consume five children, how could it continue to be inhabitable?
    Stacy,

I'm not positive but the way I understand it, after the fire in 1945, the Sodder family still lived at the same location. I assume that they rebuilt after the fire. I was refering to the billboard which was taken down in 1989 after the death of the mother. The article where I read that said that "the property" was sold after her death. I hope to get over there this coming week. Am planning to take pictures and talk to anyone who will talk to me.
    Retired 08/03/03

You're going to solve the mystery!!

I also found what I think is the same reporters name (Niles Jackson) from that article listed in the paper and it is at this website but unfortunately the link to the full story is not yet working. The site was moved from another location & I am guessing they aren't yet finished moving all the files.
    http://www.southwesternpub.com/quailcreek.asp

Local Forum

I have started a thread at a local news forum looking for anyone who remembers the Sodder mystery. Hopefully, I will get some replies.
    Retired 08/03/03

H0NEYWEST is offline I have a .38 and an ocelot ~ they're both loaded
    Quote Originally Posted by docwho3
    I also found what I think is the same reporters name (Niles Jackson) from that article listed in the paper and it is at this website but unfortunately the link to the full story is not yet working. The site was moved from another location & I am guessing they aren't yet finished moving all the files.
    http://www.southwesternpub.com/quailcreek.asp
    Here's more on Niles Jackson from Quail Creek:

http://www.quailcreek.org/niles-jackson.htm

Shadow205, someone from AOL just emailed me. They gave me some interesting information, like the fact that Unsolved Mysteries contacted the surviving children about doing a piece and the children said that they were not interested in pursuing the case now that their mother was dead. That was maddening. Such exposure may have finally brought answers. How could they not want to try?? Wait a minute. Why *wouldn't* they want to try?

The person who emailed me also had heard about the local thread you started and asked what the address was. She grew up in the area and wanted to participate. Can you tell me the addresss, if it's okay to pass it on to her?

Thank you either way!

Shadow205, someone from AOL just emailed me. They gave me some interesting information, like the fact that Unsolved Mysteries contacted the surviving children about doing a piece and the children said that they were not interested in pursuing the case now that their mother was dead. That was maddening. Such exposure may have finally brought answers. How could they not want to try?? Wait a minute. Why *wouldn't* they want to try?

The person who emailed me also had heard about the local thread you started and asked what the address was. She grew up in the area and wanted to participate. Can you tell me the addresss, if it's okay to pass it on to her?

Thank you either way!
    Stacy,

I hate to hear that about the surviving children not wanting to pursue the case. There is still time to reunite the siblings if we could locate them. The thread that I started at http://www.register-herald.com/ has generated some conversation. I am still going to attempt to speak with some of the family. Just let me know when you are ready for me to.
    Retired 08/03/03

You're all absolutely right of course, there's always a chance. They all deserve another look. I was just musing aloud, and thinking strictly realistically. There is almost no chance of any of the older cases being solved.

I was channel surfing last night and caught the very end of the movie Gangs of New York. Itís the 19th century, and itís a scene in a graveyard overlooking Manhattan. The character (Leo DeCaprio) says something about the fact that they will not be remembered. No one will remember their struggles. And then the camera shows the graveyard and New York changing as time moves forward. New York gets bigger and higher and grander, and the grave stones slowly sink and sink and disappear. It was heartbreaking.

Thatís what is happening to those cases (and will happen to all of us). The paper the detectives notes were typed on is fragile and disentegrating. Every year, more and more records are lost or destroyed. No one will remember 19-year-old Cecil Landon, 12-year-old Virginia Walker, and 17-year-old Ream Constance Hoxsie. Pretty soon they will disappear for good.

You're all absolutely right of course, there's always a chance. They all deserve another look. I was just musing aloud, and thinking strictly realistically. There is almost no chance of any of the older cases being solved.

I was channel surfing last night and caught the very end of the movie Gangs of New York. Itís the 19th century, and itís a scene in a graveyard overlooking Manhattan. The character (Leo DeCaprio) says something about the fact that they will not be remembered. No one will remember their struggles. And then the camera shows the graveyard and New York changing as time moves forward. New York gets bigger and higher and grander, and the grave stones slowly sink and sink and disappear. It was heartbreaking.

Thatís what is happening to those cases (and will happen to all of us). The paper the detectives notes were typed on is fragile and disentegrating. Every year, more and more records are lost or destroyed. No one will remember 19-year-old Cecil Landon, 12-year-old Virginia Walker, and 17-year-old Ream Constance Hoxsie. Pretty soon they will disappear for good.
    Every year now more and more of the older cases are being solved. The trend toward developing cold case units is working. People who were afraid to speak out at the time of a murder, will sometimes talk 20 yrs or so after the fact, if someone approaches them and asks.
    Every day now, I am seeing more cases in the news from back in the '60's, 70's, and 80's. So there is hope.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Oops. That post was supposed to go in another item. I'm going to go re-post it there. Sorry!

But you're totally right about how time changes people feeling about talking. Relationships change.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast