IL - Donovan Turnage, 11, killed by carjacker fleeing LE, Chicago, 21 Dec 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...e-captured-20131224,0,4897439.story?track=rss

A suspect in a string of weekend carjackings, including one that ended in a crash that killed an 11-year-old boy, was arrested this morning after U.S. marshals in SUVs pinned him in at a McDonald's drive-thru in Milwaukee, authorities said.

Rockie Douglas, 34, was waiting for food at the McDonald's on the northwest side of the city when deputy marshals pulled in front and back of him around 11:30 a.m., according to Ed Farrell, supervisory inspector of the task force. A woman in the car with him was not injured.

"He attempted to use the female passenger as a human shield, briefly," said Douglas Bachert, supervisory deputy U.S. marshal in Milwaukee.

Douglas was tracked down after using credit cards he had stolen earlier this month in a purse-snatching in Gurnee, authorities said........

Douglas was spotted still driving the blue Honda Accord he had carjacked on the ramp from Interstate Highway 294 to the Reagan Memorial Tollway to escape police over the weekend, authorities said. He was taken to the Milwaukee County Jail to await extradition to Chicago, Bachert said.

Douglas had been sought since Saturday when, driving a stolen car, he barreled into a Chevrolet Suburban and killed 11-year-old Donovan Turnage on the South Side, police said. Donovan, his brother and their father were out getting haircuts for the holiday, relatives said.

More at 2p. link......(I thought I read about this case before but could not find it on a search; please merge if necessary)

Glad he got caught i wondered if he went down to the south side pick up drugs.

Sent from my NB07 using Tapatalk

Glad he got caught i wondered if he went down to the south side pick up drugs.

Sent from my NB07 using Tapatalk

I don't doubt he's into drugs but most of his charges have been for burglary and theft. Actually he should have been in jail at the time this happened:

Lake County prosecutors in September charged Douglas with misdemeanor criminal trespass to vehicles after he was arrested by sheriff's officers, according to court records. He was released on his own recognizance, court records show.

Then on Oct. 4, he was charged in Lake County with being a fugitive from justice who fled to Illinois to avoid Wisconsin authorities, according to court records. Douglas had pleaded guilty to burglary in 2007 in Kenosha County, Wis., and was sentenced to 7½ years of probation, court records show.

He waived his right to official extradition proceedings. Lake County prosecutors dropped the fugitive from justice charge based on the understanding that he had been passed into the custody of Wisconsin authorities, Lake County State's Attorney Mike Nerheim said.

Wisconsin corrections officials were unable to provide information Monday, and Kenosha County authorities could not be reached.

A police source said authorities believe Douglas embarked on a carjacking spree around 11:20 a.m. Friday on the North Side, when he forced a woman out of a green Dodge minivan at a gas station along West Irving Park Road.

He carjacked 3 vehicles and killed the little boy before running back to Wis.

October 2015

Prosecutors have filed murder charges against a man accused of barreling into a family's SUV while fleeing police in a stolen vehicle on Chicago's South Side days before Christmas in 2013, killing an 11-year-old boy.

Rockie Douglas was captured in Wisconsin days after the death of Donovan Turnage. Since his arrest, Douglas has been behind bars in that state, where he's been convicted of several crimes.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...douglas-murder-charge-met-20151006-story.html

Man gets 30 years for DuPage carjacking following crash that killed Chicago boy

Rockie Douglas, 38, pleaded guilty Wednesday in DuPage County court to aggravated vehicular hijacking, a Class X felony, and received the maximum sentence, prosecutors said.

Douglas was apprehended in Milwaukee on Dec. 24, 2013, and charged in Cook County with murder in the death of Turnage and in DuPage for the carjacking.

He is awaiting trial in the Cook County case and is due to appear in court Feb. 5, records show.

City to Pay Nearly $1.3 Million to Family of Boy Killed in Chase - June 2017

A City Council committee voted unanimously Monday, to recommend payment of $1.275 million to the family of an 11 year old boy, who was killed by a driver fleeing police.

“I hope if there’s going to be reform in the city on a bigger level that this is included,” the family’s attorney, Martin Dolan said. “High speed pursuits are dangerous period. They’re dangerous to the community, dangerous to police officers themselves, and only in exceptional circumstances should they be initiated.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back