Interesting - but ....

I see that it appears to be uncommon to pick up dna under the nails, it would have been a much better article if it explained the actions ,closeness needed to pick it up. I have seen couples scratch or rub each others backs while relaxing in the park. Is this the kind of activity the transfer would normally require? In Jonbenet's case I suspect it was more a "clawing" at her abductor. We had a case here, a friend, who dropped her child off at day care on a very hot morning, it was noted her windows were open when she was seen driving away, she was later found bound and raped with African American skin under her nails. This was 22 yrs ago, I don't remember dna ever being an issue, the case went cold, I have always hoped the samples would one day give up the dna for a prosecution.

I would love to know the details behind the statement made that "however, one result obtained from the staff study may cast doubt on the requirement for close physical contact."

LOL. No that WASN'T the thought that came into my head - but it's another interesting point!

I read the article which was interesting, but it's relevance to the Ramsey case is dubious for one simple reason.

Anyone?

Could what you refer to be found in the meaning of the phrase "detectable foreign source of DNA, which was attributed to either a partner or a co-worker"? Because that would indicate what the study was finding was, even if on an uncommon basis, a full profile from someone other than the owner of the nails involved. The study does not, at least in this abstract, mention how often degraded or drastically incomplete profiles were found that could be traced to nobody.

why_nutt said:
Could what you refer to be found in the meaning of the phrase "detectable foreign source of DNA, which was attributed to either a partner or a co-worker"? Because that would indicate what the study was finding was, even if on an uncommon basis, a full profile from someone other than the owner of the nails involved. The study does not, at least in this abstract, mention how often degraded or drastically incomplete profiles were found that could be traced to nobody.
That's not the point which struck me, but it's a valid point nevertheless. I wonder if it would be possible to find out more information from the researchers?

I just don't think this experiment has much significance to the Ramsey case for one very simple reason......

Overall there is a low incidence of detectable secondary DNA profiles under fingernails.

adult fingernails vs. child fingernails

I know children's fingerprints are chemically different (and more fragile) than adults, but I wouldn't think the accumulation of DNA under the fingernails would be different.

I was going on the statement that there is already a low incidence of detectable secondary DNA under fingernails, and the study was done on adults. Therefore, a child's fingernails would contain even less....making the incidence much lower for there to have been secondary DNA under JB's.

Au contraire Nehemiah. I was thinking about hygiene. Children have much poorer hygiene. They put their fingers in their mouths, up their noses....

Adults wash their hands more thoroughly and more frequently and would tend to handle unclean articles with more care and suspicion.

ive read that Jonbenet was also making beads christmas night,im not sure what was involved in this activity but have read that the beads needed drying time,sounds messy and fiddely,wondering if something could have transferred to her fingernails during this time

Good point Dingo. Young children are still in the stages of learning skills of dexterity and tend to be concentrating so hard on what they are doing, that they give little thought to the mess they get into in the process.

I would like to add that not only do they stick their fingers in their own mouths (and noses, ears etc), but quite probably those of other children too!

My youngest isn't far off the age JonBenet was when she died and there are times when she still gets into a mess (chocolate/ice-cream face/hands etc).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back