883 users online (126 members and 757 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern US
    Posts
    1,207

    Student suspended over call from mom in Iraq

    COLUMBUS, Georgia (AP) -- A high school student was suspended for 10 days for refusing to end a cell phone call with his mother, a soldier serving in Iraq, school officials said.

    The 10-day suspension was issued because Kevin Francois was "defiant and disorderly" and was imposed in lieu of an arrest, Spencer High School assistant principal Alfred Parham said.

    The confrontation Wednesday began after the 17-year-old junior got a call at lunchtime from his mother, Sgt. 1st Class Monique Bates, who left in January for a one-year tour with the 203rd Forward Support Battalion.

    Cell phones are allowed on campus but may not be used during school hours. When a teacher told him to hang up, he refused. He said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom."

    Parham said the teen's suspension was based on his reaction to the teacher's request. He said the teen used profanity when taken to the office.

    "Kevin got defiant and disorderly," Parham said. "When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days."

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/05....ap/index.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,188
    Wow. I don't even know what to say. I wish the young man had handled it better, but come on ... his mom's stationed overseas.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon25
    COLUMBUS, Georgia (AP) -- A high school student was suspended for 10 days for refusing to end a cell phone call with his mother, a soldier serving in Iraq, school officials said.

    "Kevin got defiant and disorderly," Parham said. "When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days."

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/05....ap/index.html
    Why would arrest even have to be an option here.
    Just for the record, I would have let this one go with a warning.
    I'm sure if that teacher received a call from one her family members, she wouldn't have hung up and rushed back to class either. The teacher showed no heart.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Quote Originally Posted by csds703
    Why would arrest even have to be an option here.
    Just for the record, I would have let this one go with a warning.
    I'm sure if that teacher received a call from one her family members, she wouldn't have hung up and rushed back to class either. The teacher showed no heart.
    Maybe the teacher doesn't agree with the war. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe some "hidden" feelings came out in the way this was handled.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,940
    swearing at a teacher is an "arrest-able" offense here also. Most things that happen at school can result in an arrest, since the zero tolerance rules went into effect.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Timex
    swearing at a teacher is an "arrest-able" offense here also. Most things that happen at school can result in an arrest, since the zero tolerance rules went into effect.
    Zero tolerance is a joke. My school has zero tolerance for alot of things. It only seems to apply when someone is grumpy or doesn't like a particular kid or his parents.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Maybe the teacher doesn't agree with the war. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe some "hidden" feelings came out in the way this was handled.
    You don't have to agree with the war to show compassion to a child who misses his mother.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Quote Originally Posted by csds703
    You don't have to agree with the war to show compassion to a child who misses his mother.
    Yes, thank you - I get that. I'm just trying to figure out why a teacher wouldn't give the kid a break.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Yes, thank you - I get that. I'm just trying to figure out why a teacher wouldn't give the kid a break.
    Maybe she's just MEAN.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,951
    As a teacher and the daughter of a veteran, I would have allowed the young man to go to the hall to talk with his mother after confirming that it was his mother. However, I would have been in trouble with the school administration. Frankly, it would be worth it! The funny thing is that I am considered (along with my two best friends) to be one of the most strict teachers in the school! Of course the two of them (my friends) would have confirmed that it was the mother and allowed him to take the call in the hall as well--they, too, are the adult children of veterans.
    In this case, I think the student should be required to write a paper about discipline and appropriate behavior to someone in authority OR alternative ways he could have managed the situation. Suspension is ridiculous!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora
    As a teacher and the daughter of a veteran, I would have allowed the young man to go to the hall to talk with his mother after confirming that it was his mother. However, I would have been in trouble with the school administration. Frankly, it would be worth it! The funny thing is that I am considered (along with my two best friends) to be one of the most strict teachers in the school! Of course the two of them (my friends) would have confirmed that it was the mother and allowed him to take the call in the hall as well--they, too, are the adult children of veterans.
    In this case, I think the student should be required to write a paper about discipline and appropriate behavior to someone in authority OR alternative ways he could have managed the situation. Suspension is ridiculous!

    What a great attitude! There are usually alternatives that can be effectively utilized in a situation such as this, especially when the student involved isnt a "trouble maker".

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora
    In this case, I think the student should be required to write a paper about discipline and appropriate behavior to someone in authority OR alternative ways he could have managed the situation. Suspension is ridiculous!
    What a great thinking-outside-the-box solution!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Fresno, CA area
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by csds703
    Why would arrest even have to be an option here.
    Just for the record, I would have let this one go with a warning.
    I'm sure if that teacher received a call from one her family members, she wouldn't have hung up and rushed back to class either. The teacher showed no heart.
    Kids are generally not allowed to use a cell phone at school, and that is quite understandable. What really angers me is when I witness first-hand teachers making and receiving personal phone calls during in-classroom teaching time. Repeatedly, I have seen teachers chatting away to friends while supposedly conducting reading groups. I have seen them chatting with another teacher who has called in sick that day... "I'll need to know what to tell the others at break. How ya doing???" The administration has no control over when the teachers use their phones, as they cannot be monitored like the phones on the wall connected to each classroom via the office. The abuse of cell phone use by teachers is rampant ! Another sore point... teachers on yard duty, on their cell for the entire recess period. Great supewrvision! Then to read about a teacer trying to terminate a students call from Mom in Iraq. That is just plain callous.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,188
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckFeet
    Kids are generally not allowed to use a cell phone at school, and that is quite understandable. What really angers me is when I witness first-hand teachers making and receiving personal phone calls during in-classroom teaching time. Repeatedly, I have seen teachers chatting away to friends while supposedly conducting reading groups. I have seen them chatting with another teacher who has called in sick that day... "I'll need to know what to tell the others at break. How ya doing???" The administration has no control over when the teachers use their phones, as they cannot be monitored like the phones on the wall connected to each classroom via the office. The abuse of cell phone use by teachers is rampant ! Another sore point... teachers on yard duty, on their cell for the entire recess period. Great supewrvision! Then to read about a teacer trying to terminate a students call from Mom in Iraq. That is just plain callous.
    Our last school installed some sort of signal blocker / catcher. They were very serious about no cells. Our new school has a very lax policy and if a cell goes off during class usually the teacher just admonishes the student. Rarely does it become a big deal. My daughter has a number of times called me from class if she needs something and I run over.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern US
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by csds703
    You don't have to agree with the war to show compassion to a child who misses his mother.
    Agreed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Student Suspended For Answering Call In Class From Dad In Iraq
    By White Rain in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
  2. Student Suspended For Buying Skittles At School
    By White Rain in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 11:56 PM
  3. Student Suspended After Wearing Penis Costume
    By Lili in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 09:13 PM
  4. Student suspended for doing handstands and cartwheels
    By blueclouds in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 01:46 PM