Wounded veterans work to put away child predators

noZme

Reaction score
A good news topic:

A children's lobbying group, PROTECT, pitched the idea of incorporating wounded veterans in the fight against child *advertiser censored*. ICE Special Agent Patrick Redling said the agency, where veterans account for 30 percent of the workforce, ran with the idea.
"They built their career upon fighting for this country and keeping citizens of this country safe," Redling said. "What better to get somebody already with that mindset into a program where it's another battlefield, very similar, but you're keeping our children safe. You're taking predators off the street."
The agency relied on the U.S. Special Operations Command to get the word out to wounded service members transitioning out of the military or already separated. The veterans were given about 11 weeks of intensive computer and legal training before being assigned to an ICE field office.
Even though they're not getting paid by ICE, the majority of those on the team are receiving disability compensation. Many also get a monthly stipend from the Department of Veterans Affairs for educational expenses.
In exchange, they're gaining expertise in computer forensics, a skill that's in high demand with law enforcement agencies, and one that should lend itself to job offers once the internship is completed.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20140105/DAB4LUSG0.html

I read about this this morning, great program. A win-win situation for the veterans and the children they are working to save!

I just found an article about these veterans but you all beat me to it!

I think this is great.

JMHO
fran

Wow! Great program, and the veterans must find it so gratifying to be making a difference!

Such a fantastic idea! Thanks for the thread, noZme, it's so nice to hear stories like these when we usually face cases far more horrible. It reminds me that there ARE still good people in the world.

Although, the people at Websleuths remind me of that on a daily basis. ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back