GUILTY Canada - Julie Paskall, 53, murdered, Surrey, BC, 29 Dec 2013

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
A member brought this senseless tragedy to my attention and asked me to start a thread. This poor lady was just a mom picking up her son from a hockey game.

B.C. city shocked by Julie Paskall’s ‘random’ murder at end of year marked by a soaring murder rate
National Post
Tristin Hopper January 1, 2014 6:52 PM ET

On Tuesday, Julie Paskall died of severe brain injuries in Surrey Memorial Hospital only two days after her unconscious, bloodied form was discovered outside the city’s Newton Arena, where she had driven to pick up her teenaged son.

An unknown assailant, still at large, is believed to have smashed Ms. Paskall in the head with a rock in a botched robbery.
Surrey hockey mom Julie Paskall dies after attack at arena
CBC News Posted: Dec 31, 2013 10:45 AM PT Last Updated: Jan 01, 2014 2:58 PM PT
Julie Paskall, 53, was brutally assaulted while waiting in Newton Arena parking lot

"The motive for this unprovoked attack remains robbery with both IHIT and the Surrey RCMP continuing to work toward finding out who is responsible." said the statement released by Sgt. Adam MacIntosh. In the earlier incident, a 22-year-old woman was taken to hospital after she was attacked at the nearby Newton bus loop at around 2 a.m. PT. No suspect descriptions have been issued by police in either case. But people in the neighbourhood say the attack has exposed a dangerous problem they've been dealing with for years.
A couple of more links:

Trust fund set up for family of murdered Surrey mother Julie Paskall

Hockey mom Julie Paskall's death prompts police to seek tips
Homicide investigators setting up mobile command at Newton Arena in Surrey, B.C.

Contact information to report a tip.
Surrey RCMP and the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) continue their investigation and anyone with information can call call the IHIT Tipline at 1-877-551-4448 by email at ihittipline@rcmp-grc.gc.ca Tips can also be left anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or you can leave a tip on their website at www.Solvecrime.ca

Tragic and scary. I live in that city and am a single mom with teenagers I have to pick up places (not that specific place but still it has shaken people up here even usually cautious people). My teenaged daughter texted me when she heard it on the news to apologize for being upset I will not let her walk by herself...that she realized it wasn't' over protective. I really hope they find who did this. Thank you for posting a thread.

This happened quite close to one of my daughter's good friends house. It is so very disturbing and senseless.

Julie sounded like a wonderful person and I feel so sad for her family - her 16 yr old son who she was waiting to pick up when she was attacked, plus her 2 daughters and her husband. What an awful, horrible way to lose your loved one...

Thanks so much for posting this, Bessie! I hope that her murderer will be found and brought to justice.

This just shook me to the core. A mom waiting for her child outside the arena? Ugh. This area of Surrey is troublesome, to say the least, and seems to be on the downhill slide. Botched robbery - rock (impulsive choice of weapon?) - open, public area... I am crossing my fingers that they can pick up good footage from local business' cameras.

I'm so sad for this family. How horrible to lose your mom in such a wasteful, senseless way.

Shocking. I'm not singling Surrey out from all of Vancouver, but I'm always reading about it, the trouble and the crime. Especially the murders; it seems like every day there's a new one.

I realize that the media puts fear into us, but I've never felt safe there. A lot of times these murders are very public and a lot of the times random or botched robberies.

I don't know why Surrey is such a haven for crime and murder. I don't know when it officially earned its reputation; I've grown up in Vancouver, but not in that area and I'm under 20, so I'd be lying if I knew much crime history regarding the city and it's neighborhoods.

I don't have much right now after the holidays, but I did make my way to Vancity (my bank anyway) and sent some money to the Paskall family. My heart aches for that family; such a senseless crime.

Police make arrest in murder of B.C. hockey mom

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has scheduled a news conference for Saturday afternoon, where members will announce details of what it calls “a significant development” in the high-profile case. As of Friday afternoon, no charges have been laid.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...t-in-murder-of-bc-hockey-mom/article18834307/

So sickening, so senseless ... just a beautiful Mom out doing what good Moms do.
May this help bring some resolution to Julie's loved ones.

Justice is coming ... Way to go IHIT !!

Rest in Peace Mrs. Paskall
:rose::rose::rose:

Julie Paskall was attacked outside a local arena in December
RCMP make arrest in murder of Surrey hockey mom
Canadian Press | May 23, 2014 9:08 PM ET

VANCOUVER — Homicide investigators have announced an arrest connected to the December 2013 slaying of a 53-year-old hockey mom, a crime that shocked Surrey, B.C., and led many to question the city’s safety. Julie Paskall, 53, died after she was assaulted in a parking lot in Surrey, B.C.

Julie Paskall, a mother of three, was attacked in the parking lot of a community ice arena Dec. 29, after arriving to pick up her son, a referee was who was officiating a minor hockey game. Paskall died in hospital on Dec. 31.
Julie Paskall’s husband ‘elated’ over arrest but ‘it doesn’t bring my wife back’
By Christine Tam and Paula Bake - Global News
May 23, 2014 10:55 pm

Investigators have arrested a male in connection to the murder of Julie Paskall, the mother of three who was brutally beaten five months ago outside the Newton Recreation Centre, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has confirmed.

Two well-placed sources told Global News that IHIT made an arrest earlier Friday and that they have been following the suspect around the Lower Mainland for weeks. The suspect is said to have a serious police record.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1350624/arrest-made-in-murder-of-surrey-mom-julie-paskall/

A man has been charged with murder in connection with the Julie Paskall homicide investigation.

The murder charge was sworn against Yosef Jomo Gopaul Saturday morning, according to online court records related to Paskall’s homicide file.

Gopaul was born in 1987, according to the records. A judge ordered his detention Saturday, with his next court appearance scheduled for Monday.

A man with the same name appears to have a past criminal history and was charged with aggravated sexual assault in a New Year’s Day attack in 2010 in Brampton, Ontario.

full article:
http://www.theprovince.com/news/fra...arged+murder+Julie+Paskall/9874804/story.html

IHIT presser coming up in about 1/2 hour:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...n-death-of-hockey-mom-julie-paskall-1.2653261

The suspect in the brutal death of a B.C. mother at a hockey arena parking lot has been identified in court documents as Yosef Jomo Gopaul.

A charge of murder was entered against the 27-year-old Saturday morning through B.C.'s Justice Centre, hours before the Lower Mainland's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team's planned 2 p.m. PT announcement regarding developments in the case.

Kevin Hackett from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team would not confirm Paskall’s death happened over a botched robbery.

“Part of our continuing investigation is to look at all violent robberies that took place in Surrey and in particular that area. We’re far from over in looking at all those events. And that will form part of our continuing investigation.”

Gopaul moved from Ontario to Surrey just six weeks before Paskall’s death.

He has a criminal record and will appear in court on Monday.
http://www.cknw.com/2014/05/24/ihit-lays-charges-in-death-of-surrey-mom-julie-paskall
Paskall, a 53-year-old mother from Surrey B.C. was viciously beaten during a robbery in the parking lot of the Newton Recreation Centre on Dec. 29, 2013 and every bone in her face was broken. She died in the hospital two days later.

[...]

"Our combined investigative efforts to date have been extensive and included a significant search and canvas of the area, the review of approximately 1000 hours of video footage, and countless hours of physical surveillance," he [Officer Kevin Hackett of IHIT] said.
Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/second-degree-...eath-of-julie-paskall-1.1836621#ixzz32hXwWtlq

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/face+evil+looks+like+paperboy+says+sister+murder+victim+Julie/9878670/story.html

After seeing her sister-in-law's alleged killer for the first time, Joan Ross was shocked. "The face of evil looks like a paperboy," she told a reporter. "I don't believe he was alone -- he was so small."

Yosef Jomo Gopaul, 27, is charged with second degree murder in the death of Julie Paskall, who was attacked five months ago in the parking lot of a Newton community arena as she arrived to pick up her son after a hockey game.

He first appeared in Surrey provincial court Monday morning. Wearing a blue fleece sweater and locked in handcuffs, a sombre Gopaul was remanded and is next due in court on June 13.

this is a crock

every facial bone was broken and the court bought his story that he didn't mean to kill her???

the other elephant in the room of course is we don't discuss his immigration status -- or whether he was born in Canada

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle79903
Back