TX - Jovonie Ochoa, 4, starved to death, San Antonio, 25 Dec 2003

sharon25

Reaction score
This happened a few years ago, but they are apparently still releasing new information and it hasn't gone to trial yet.

The main story that I found was here:
http://www.angelizdsplace.com/child28.htm

The info about charges here :
http://www.co.bexar.tx.us/da2/PressRelease/2004/04152004.htm

and then this is the newest info...

NEW: Jovonie was likely starved for a month, or longer

[size=-1]Web Posted: 05/06/2005 03:28 PM CDT [/size]

[size=-1]Rhea Davis
San Antonio Express-News
[/size]

Jovonie Ochoa was likely starved for a month or longer before he died on Christmas Day 2003, a medical examiner testified today.

If the boy was given small amounts of food over a period of time, the starvation could have lasted longer, said Medical Examiner Randy Frost during the second day of testimony in the Maria Palacios' trial.

Palacios, Jovonie's grandmother, is charged with injury to a child by omission, endangering the life of a child and unlawful restraint of a child. If convicted, she faces five to 99 years or life in prison. She pleaded not guilty to all three counts.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA050605.Jovonieupdate.EN.24b1b2e7a.html

That poor little baby.
at least they are charging EVERYONE.
including the aunt who did nothing to save him.
god, i'm still crying so hard. my daughter weighed
16 pounds when she was 4 months old.

EDITED BY DP TO REMOVE PART OF POST DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.
IF YOU WANT TO READ THE ARTICLE WITHOUT REGISTERING USE:

j.smith@yahoo.com
smith1

as user email and password

sharon25 said:
When the first photo appeared on the screen people inside the courtroom gasped and Palacios began to cry.
When her sobs grew louder District Judge Bert Richardson excused Palacios from the trial and told her she could wait in the holding cell until the photos were no longer needed.
She has remained in the cell for most of the day.

:furious: Why the tears from her now? Where was the compassion when he was dying from starvation!!!

Poor little Angel.

At least he's out of the hands of these monsters. This is a sickening case.

If they didn't want this precious baby, why didn't they get him to someone who did? This also makes me want to cry.

madgallico said:
:furious: Why the tears from her now? Where was the compassion when he was dying from starvation!!!

Poor little Angel.

:waitasec: exactly, where was the compassion or tears the day before ... two days before ... two weeks before.

I want to shake this woman and say "save your tears lady ... you don't have the right."

READ this article regarding the case .....
http://groups-beta.google.com/group...q=Jovonie+Ochoa&rnum=4&hl=en#006fe46e408a7cb2

"For the better part of the morning, a parade of relatives who had lived with
Jovonie Ochoa for the past 21/2 months of his life traipsed in and out of
the detective's stark office, each swearing to Damiani that the boy had been
delivered to them only the evening before.

Not one of them reached for the box of tissues on his desk, Damiani would
recall later. "

Another absolutely disturbing bit of info was that numerous calls were made regarding this child by the Godmother. Authorities were alerted and did nothing. IMHO, they're no better than those charged in Jovonie's death.

god this is awful. to have that MANY people KNOW what is going on and still they did nothing. not one.
i wish the godmother would've called the police if CPS didn't want to do anything. Surely once they took a look at him they could've stepped in and taken him.

poor little child. probably never knew what love was, or what if felt like to be held in loving arms.
rest in peace little one.

NEW: Jovonie was likely starved for a month, or longer

Jovonie Ochoa was likely starved for a month or longer before he died on Christmas Day 2003, a medical examiner testified today.

If the boy was given small amounts of food over a period of time, the starvation could have lasted longer, said Medical Examiner Randy Frost during the second day of testimony in the Maria Palacios' trial.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA050605.Jovonieupdate.EN.24b1b2e7a.html

sharon25 said:
Jurors were shown graphic photos of a severely starved Ochoa taken during the time of his autopsy. His body was covered in sores, bruises and scratches and his bones were easily visible. When the first photo appeared on the screen people inside the courtroom gasped and Palacios began to cry.

When her sobs grew louder District Judge Bert Richardson excused Palacios from the trial and told her she could wait in the holding cell until the photos were no longer needed.
They should have made that grandmother stay put and witness EVERY photo taken of that poor little boy, since it was her own doing!

This is so sad, that poor little boy. I hope none of those loving relatives ever set foot on free soil again.

One thing that I am having a problem with ... and I'm sorry to mention it here, but ... Did poor little Jovonie die a "beautiful death" as did Terri?
Was he calm and peaceful, and more beautiful than anyone had ever seen him before?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Originally Posted by sharon25
Jurors were shown graphic photos of a severely starved Ochoa taken during the time of his autopsy. His body was covered in sores, bruises and scratches and his bones were easily visible. When the first photo appeared on the screen people inside the courtroom gasped and Palacios began to cry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does this pass through anyone's mind when reading about this helpless little boy? Is there a difference between starving a helpless child and a helpless woman? Does one have less pain than the other? Some people are guilty of a felony, and some others aren't?

Apologies again for even mentioning Terri on Jovonie's thread, but I just can't help it. It is a dilemma.

I'm certainly supportive of the people who starved Jovonie to death being held accountable. I suppose in Terri's case, it was more like putting down a horse with a broken leg.

The main difference is that it was a legal battle over terri's wishes.
This little boy had his hands duct taped and his mouth duct taped as well.
he had SEVERE bed sores.
Terri knew love in her life.
I don't believe this little boy ever did.

Whatever the reason .. I do resent someone trying to feed others a bunch of baloney about a "beautiful death". I have seen pictures from concentration camps ... Starvation is not beautiful, and not painless, either, whether accompanied by some form of physical torture or not. That's why there were no pictures permitted.

Anyway, I'll say no more about it, this isn't the thread for it.

sharon25 said:
god this is awful. to have that MANY people KNOW what is going on and still they did nothing. not one.
i wish the godmother would've called the police if CPS didn't want to do anything. Surely once they took a look at him they could've stepped in and taken him.

poor little child. probably never knew what love was, or what if felt like to be held in loving arms.
rest in peace little one.
I'm not sure about this particular state, but in my state, CPS has authority over the police. My grandson has been removed from his home by police and CPS has ordered him to be placed back again even though the endangering situations still exist. It's a very sad situation. Poor little guy. At least he will not suffer any more.:(

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA051205.1A.palacios_trial.2666cc2b1.html
She's the first of five relatives to stand trial in Jovonie's death, among the most horrific cases of child abuse in Bexar County.

According to a medical examiner, Jovonie likely was starved for a month or longer. Described as a "skeleton with skin," the child weighed only 16 pounds at the time of his death — the same amount as when he was 6 months old.

Palacios maintained she didn't starve the boy. She testified Jovonie was dropped off at her house the night before he died.

Although she knew he was seriously ill, she said she was too frightened to seek medical help.

Prior testimony showed the boy was living with Palacios for about two months before he died.
A child starvation expert testified earlier in the trial that Jovonie probably was fed just enough food to keep him teetering on the brink of death and that the abuse he endured amounted to torture.

SAN ANTONIO -- The mother of a 4-year-old boy who died on Christmas Day in 2003 from severe abuse and starvation was released from prison on Thursday.

Lisa Ochoa served two years in prison after accepting a plea bargain from the Bexar County District Attorney's Office on charges of abandonment and child endangerment in connection with the death of her son, Jovonie Ochoa.

Jovonie's uncle, Geronimo Esqueda; his aunt, Delores Esqueda; and his grandfather, Juan Palacios, all were given the maximum of 10 years in prison.

They pleaded guilty to charges of injury to a child and bodily injury.

Authorities alleged the five relatives denied the boy food by restraining him to a bed in the boy's grandparents' home for months.

Rebecca Vasquez, Jovonie's Godmother, said she believes Liza Ochoa's sentence was a slap in the face to Jovonie.

"Jovonie's life was 4 years, and she had to serve less than half this time," said Vasquez.

http://www.ksat.com/news/6239511/detail.html
=========================================

2 years...that is all she served!!! That is outrageous!! That little boy is gone and she had a hand in killing him and she gets 2 years...unbelieveable!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What the hell???? This is truly unbelievable! She totally deserved life in prison without the possibility of parole. :banghead: :banghead:

How disgusting that she only served two years. She should have been starved and abused for at least four years, just like she did to her child. Oh yeah, release her so she can have more children to kill. :furious:
She ought to be involuntarily sterilized with removal of her uterus, not just tubes tied, before her release!!!! JMO

GreenEyedGirl said:
What the hell???? This is truly unbelievable! She totally deserved life in prison without the possibility of parole. :banghead: :banghead:
Or the death sentence as it is premeditated murder with torture.
Most women when they have a child, that child becomes their focus. They worry more about if the child is fed or rested or sick than they worry about themselves. Starvation is torture. It is a slow painful death. She should have never been released.

dbmthur said:
SAN ANTONIO -- The mother of a 4-year-old boy who died on Christmas Day in 2003 from severe abuse and starvation was released from prison on Thursday.

Lisa Ochoa served two years in prison after accepting a plea bargain from the Bexar County District Attorney's Office on charges of abandonment and child endangerment in connection with the death of her son, Jovonie Ochoa.

Jovonie's uncle, Geronimo Esqueda; his aunt, Delores Esqueda; and his grandfather, Juan Palacios, all were given the maximum of 10 years in prison.

They pleaded guilty to charges of injury to a child and bodily injury.

Authorities alleged the five relatives denied the boy food by restraining him to a bed in the boy's grandparents' home for months.

Rebecca Vasquez, Jovonie's Godmother, said she believes Liza Ochoa's sentence was a slap in the face to Jovonie.

"Jovonie's life was 4 years, and she had to serve less than half this time," said Vasquez.

http://www.ksat.com/news/6239511/detail.html
=========================================

2 years...that is all she served!!! That is outrageous!! That little boy is gone and she had a hand in killing him and she gets 2 years...unbelieveable!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
who wants to take bets on how soon it is before she is pregnant? :furious: :furious: :furious:

They should have made it mandatory that she have her tubes tied or have a hysterectomy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back