460 users online (58 members and 402 guests)  

Websleuths News

NJ - Shaline Seguinot, 13, raped & murdered, Camden, 1 Aug 1995

A New Jersey appellate court yesterday overturned the conviction of Miguel Figueroa, who was sentenced in 2002 to life in prison for the rape and murder of Shaline Seguinot, a 13-year-old North Camden girl.

The appellate court ruled that Figueroa, now 34, should have been allowed to represent himself during parts of his trial in Superior Court in Camden. If the ruling is not reversed, Figueroa will get a new trial - to the distress of Shaline's family.

"I feel as though they victimized me for the second time," said Shaline's mother, Lourdes Vasquez. "I just went through this two years ago and now I'll have to sit through this again."

Sarubbi said Snyder's decision had been sound. He noted that Figueroa was convicted "largely upon conclusive DNA evidence."

Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

From September 2010:

A New Jersey appeals court has upheld the conviction of Miguel Figueroa in the 1995 rape and murder of 13-year-old Shaline Seguinot, but knocked a decade off the number of years he must serve before becoming eligible for parole.

Figueroa, 39, must now spend at least 45 years in prison before parole is possible, the court said in a decision released today.

He had been sentenced to 55 years to life in 2007 following a second trial in the slaying of the Camden girl.