1066 users online (186 members and 880 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sending people to live on Mars — FOREVER

8 Utahns among finalists to live on Mars — forever

-----------------------------------

The current pool of candidates will be reduced to 40, who would then undergo several months of training.
    Finally, four would be selected to land on Mars in 2023.
    Every two years after, four more astronauts would be added to the colony.

There are also many dangers that come with living on Mars.
    Candidates said meteorites, radiation, and extended amounts of time in reduced gravity are risks they're willing to take.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2828...qR2FOOXcJQz.99

Given all the advances in robotics, I don't believe it's necessary to subject human beings to the known (and unknown) dangers of life on other planets.

All the money in the world couldn't convince me to be the guinea pig that gets to trial living on Mars. No way. I'll keep my feet firmly planted on planet Earth.

I can imagine how exciting this would be for some, though. It just isn't my cup of tea.
    Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
    Emily Dickinson

I think people with that sort of pioneering spirit should be allowed to use their life however they see fit, including going to another planet for the benefit of the human race.
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

Can we sign other people up? I'd like to sign my hubby's boss up for the trip.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Why use volunteers when they can use child rapists and child murderers? JMO

Is it possible to nominate others for this opportunity, I wonder?

eta: whoops, I see I'm not the only person who has thought of this.

Pfffft! I'll pass!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

I too have several nominees that I want to submit. Anyone have the addy for submissions? LOL
    "Words can break someone into a million pieces, but they can also put them back together. I hope you use yours for good, because the only words you'll regret more than the ones left unsaid are the ones you use to intentionally hurt someone."

Quote Originally Posted by Angelonline View Post
    I too have several nominees that I want to submit. Anyone have the addy for submissions? LOL
    I wish we could submit names and then vote on it. LOL "And the winner is .....drum roll please.....Jodi Arias......"
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

I'd go! I know it's crazy but I wanted to go to the moon, so this would just be a dream for me! My kidlet has a great support family. I don't feel like I would be depriving him of me. I thought Venus would be the first colony, but Mars is second best in my book!

I mean seriously! How awesome would it be to build a planet we could live on, once this one becomes inhabitable? It's only a matter of time and it has nothing to do with natural resources.

People in power will blow this planet to shreds before we ever come to resource depletion. If we have a back up planet, maybe some of us can survive.

BTW, I realize how weird I sound atm.
    There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief.. and unspeakable love. --Washington Irving

I nominate most of my extended family......
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Quote Originally Posted by Roxye View Post
    I'd go! I know it's crazy but I wanted to go to the moon, so this would just be a dream for me! My kidlet has a great support family. I don't feel like I would be depriving him of me. I thought Venus would be the first colony, but Mars is second best in my book!

I mean seriously! How awesome would it be to build a planet we could live on, once this one becomes inhabitable? It's only a matter of time and it has nothing to do with natural resources.

People in power will blow this planet to shreds before we ever come to resource depletion. If we have a back up planet, maybe some of us can survive.

There's no place like home.

I'd consider a brief visit...once they fix that whole gravity issue, breathing issue, sleeping, bathing, toileting issues and I am not eating dehydrated, freeze dried nothing. I never even liked Tang!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxye View Post

IMO if we don't "get it together" or evolve into something far better as a species on this planet, we don't deserve to survive.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

I mean...unless they have wifi and Starbucks on Mars now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast