Sending people to live on Mars — FOREVER

MsFacetious

What a Kerfuffle...
Reaction score
8 Utahns among finalists to live on Mars — forever :thud:

-----------------------------------

The current pool of candidates will be reduced to 40, who would then undergo several months of training.
Finally, four would be selected to land on Mars in 2023.
Every two years after, four more astronauts would be added to the colony.

There are also many dangers that come with living on Mars.
Candidates said meteorites, radiation, and extended amounts of time in reduced gravity are risks they're willing to take.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=28283548#JAe7UqR2FOOXcJQz.99

Given all the advances in robotics, I don't believe it's necessary to subject human beings to the known (and unknown) dangers of life on other planets.

All the money in the world couldn't convince me to be the guinea pig that gets to trial living on Mars. No way. I'll keep my feet firmly planted on planet Earth.

I can imagine how exciting this would be for some, though. It just isn't my cup of tea.

I think people with that sort of pioneering spirit should be allowed to use their life however they see fit, including going to another planet for the benefit of the human race.

Can we sign other people up? I'd like to sign my hubby's boss up for the trip.

Why use volunteers when they can use child rapists and child murderers? JMO

Is it possible to nominate others for this opportunity, I wonder?

eta: whoops, I see I'm not the only person who has thought of this.

I too have several nominees that I want to submit. Anyone have the addy for submissions? LOL

I too have several nominees that I want to submit. Anyone have the addy for submissions? LOL

I wish we could submit names and then vote on it. LOL "And the winner is .....drum roll please.....Jodi Arias......"

I'd go! I know it's crazy but I wanted to go to the moon, so this would just be a dream for me! My kidlet has a great support family. I don't feel like I would be depriving him of me. I thought Venus would be the first colony, but Mars is second best in my book!

I mean seriously! How awesome would it be to build a planet we could live on, once this one becomes inhabitable? It's only a matter of time and it has nothing to do with natural resources.

People in power will blow this planet to shreds before we ever come to resource depletion. If we have a back up planet, maybe some of us can survive.

BTW, I realize how weird I sound atm.

I nominate most of my extended family......

I'd go! I know it's crazy but I wanted to go to the moon, so this would just be a dream for me! My kidlet has a great support family. I don't feel like I would be depriving him of me. I thought Venus would be the first colony, but Mars is second best in my book!

I mean seriously! How awesome would it be to build a planet we could live on, once this one becomes inhabitable? It's only a matter of time and it has nothing to do with natural resources.

People in power will blow this planet to shreds before we ever come to resource depletion. If we have a back up planet, maybe some of us can survive.

There's no place like home.

I'd consider a brief visit...once they fix that whole gravity issue, breathing issue, sleeping, bathing, toileting issues and I am not eating dehydrated, freeze dried nothing. I never even liked Tang!

IMO if we don't "get it together" or evolve into something far better as a species on this planet, we don't deserve to survive.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

I mean...unless they have wifi and Starbucks on Mars now.

I would go for a short visit. No way would I ever consider a permanent move.

I do agree with you, I think the concept is really amazing. I think for me, it's more the thought that this is forever. I don't think I could ever leave forever, and the idea of being in space scares the beejeezus out of me, so I'd be a terrible candidate. Plus, what if you get stuck with some of the most annoying people on Earth? :p

It's something I'll be following along very closely though, because the whole thing is so totally unbelievable and incredible. Technology truly is an amazing thing - to think, it was only 45 years ago that we first put a man on the moon, and now we're talking about colonizing Mars! Crazy.

I wish we could submit names and then vote on it. LOL "And the winner is .....drum roll please.....Jodi Arias......"

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Yes indeed, she'd be sent up for sure if we here at Websleuths were the ones casting the deciding vote.

Why use volunteers when they can use child rapists and child murderers? JMO

You were reading my mind. Just make it a penal colony.

I guess I just don't have that pioneering spirit. I over analyze everything.

Have these volunteers thought this through?

What are they going to eat for the rest of their lives? Water? What if the other volunteers are complete jerks and you're stuck there with them? Can you imagine if one was a compulsive close talker and another was a socially inept pervy guy who has the hots for you?! :eek:

How are they going to deal with sanitation? What if someone needs gallbladder surgery or a root canal? How would I get my lifetime supply of Diet Coke? I can be very cranky without my Diet Coke! What happens when they run out tooth paste or deodorant? Tampons or toilet paper?

Nah. . .I'll pass.

I wonder what the family dynamics are like for the people who would choose to go. I understand adventurous loners who have nothing and nobody to keep them back on Earth but that one guy says he has a wife and children. He'll never see his grandkids if he gets chosen. I think I would be rather miffed if my hubby told me he'd rather live on Mars forever than share the ups and downs of the family life with me, and he could get at least half of his wish sooner than he thought.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back