1401 users online (315 members and 1086 guests)  

Websleuths News

Poll: Did you get a flu shot this season?

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Does the flu shot really work?

Here's a map of the Weekly US Map: Influenza Summary Update

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

Has anyone ever gotten a flu shot and still contracted the flu?

The thing about influenza vaccines is this: The WHO and CDC make an educated guess about which strains of influenza will be prevalent during the next season. They choose the three or four most likely strains, and the vaccine is manufactured containing antibodies against those strains.

HOWEVER, there are thousands of strains of influenza - and if they guess wrong, even immunized persons can and often do get 'the flu'.

So yes, it is entirely possible to get a flu shot and then come down with influenza.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    I had a flu shot once and was sick (flu-like symptoms for about 48 hours) from the injection, so I never got another.

Arrow

Yes, me. I got the shot in early Nov., and on Sunday I contracted what I think is a mild case of the flu. I still feel crappy, but it could've been much worse. I've had the full-on flu with nausea and fevers for days! Now I'm mostly just very congested, achy, and weak.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

When I was a child my bother and I got our MMR shots (Measles, Mumps,, Rubella). within 2 weeks he had the measles and I had the mumps. Dr said it was the worst cases of the mumps he'd ever seen.

So, I dont get flu shots....

skibaboo is online now <3 The amazing Mr Skibs, GBNF <3 Now an 'official' crazy cat (& Map) lady.
    I am immune compromised (medically) and have gotten the flu shot every year for over 10 years, never had the flu in that time. Worst I get is a sore arm for a day or 2.
    Hillsborough 15/4/1989 JFT96 GBNF YNWA *Verdict - The REAL Truth: 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed*

Celebrating Mr Skibaboo RIP Baljeev Johal, my dear friend. RIP

Case Map Database - Links to all Case Maps I have created, and their related Websleuths threads

Three years straight I took the shot. Three years straight I immediately got the flu. No more shots for me!
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

I stand with Standing Rock!

We spoke, prayers were answered!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/army-grant-...ry?id=43969890

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    I had a flu shot once and was sick (flu-like symptoms for about 48 hours) from the injection, so I never got another.
    Same here, and I was sick as a dog!! NEVER AGAIN!
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

I stand with Standing Rock!

We spoke, prayers were answered!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/army-grant-...ry?id=43969890

I get the flu shot every year. No I have never had the flu in the years that I had the shot.

NO!!!!

Umm..... the thread title and the poll are about two different things.

I got a flu shot because it is a requirement of employment. I have never, to my knowledge, had the flu.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

The shot only contains certai strains, the strains that were most ramped the prior year and what they see building up (not full of terminology with chatty kid running by). This is why you sometimes 'still get the flu'. This years vaccine contains the h1n1 strain which is again out there and growing strong,

Honestly, the risks usually don't outweigh the benefits for me to get the family vaccine aged. I do get nervous about H1N1 though and have been reconsidering this year....

The shot does not contain live virus, therefore you cannot catch the fluf rom it. The spray does...I believe, but now child is singing and rapping. Maybe I'll head out for a shot just for a nice quiet break! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by meanmaryjean View Post
    The thing about influenza vaccines is this: The WHO and CDC make an educated guess about which strains of influenza will be prevalent during the next season. They choose the three or four most likely strains, and the vaccine is manufactured containing antibodies against those strains.

HOWEVER, there are thousands of strains of influenza - and if they guess wrong, even immunized persons can and often do get 'the flu'.

So yes, it is entirely possible to get a flu shot and then come down with influenza.
    So glad you already said what I was trying to say, and you said it well . (Missed this post the first time through)

You would think as a diabetic I'd be out running to get a flu shot. But for the past 5 years, I've passed. My doctor does not advocate me getting one mainly due to the strains. My sister (also a diabetic) had one and immediately got the flu. I'm a SAHM, and try to avoid crowded places anyway. Doesn't mean I'll be in the clear, but keeping fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast