Votes: 143 19.9%
  • No, they are not safe

Votes: 91 12.7%
  • No, I have a health issue that doesn't allow it

Votes: 21 2.9%
  • Other: please explain

Votes: 55 7.7%

• Total voters
The thing about influenza vaccines is this: The WHO and CDC make an educated guess about which strains of influenza will be prevalent during the next season. They choose the three or four most likely strains, and the vaccine is manufactured containing antibodies against those strains.

HOWEVER, there are thousands of strains of influenza - and if they guess wrong, even immunized persons can and often do get 'the flu'.

So yes, it is entirely possible to get a flu shot and then come down with influenza.

Has anyone ever gotten a flu shot and still contracted the flu?
Yes, me. I got the shot in early Nov., and on Sunday I contracted what I think is a mild case of the flu. I still feel crappy, but it could've been much worse. I've had the full-on flu with nausea and fevers for days! Now I'm mostly just very congested, achy, and weak.

When I was a child my bother and I got our MMR shots (Measles, Mumps,, Rubella). within 2 weeks he had the measles and I had the mumps. Dr said it was the worst cases of the mumps he'd ever seen.

So, I dont get flu shots....

I am immune compromised (medically) and have gotten the flu shot every year for over 10 years, never had the flu in that time. Worst I get is a sore arm for a day or 2.

Has anyone ever gotten a flu shot and still contracted the flu?

Three years straight I took the shot. Three years straight I immediately got the flu. No more shots for me!

Umm..... the thread title and the poll are about two different things. :)

I got a flu shot because it is a requirement of employment. I have never, to my knowledge, had the flu.

The shot only contains certai strains, the strains that were most ramped the prior year and what they see building up (not full of terminology with chatty kid running by). This is why you sometimes 'still get the flu'. This years vaccine contains the h1n1 strain which is again out there and growing strong,

Honestly, the risks usually don't outweigh the benefits for me to get the family vaccine aged. I do get nervous about H1N1 though and have been reconsidering this year....

The shot does not contain live virus, therefore you cannot catch the fluf rom it. The spray does...I believe, but now child is singing and rapping. Maybe I'll head out for a shot just for a nice quiet break! Haha

The thing about influenza vaccines is this: The WHO and CDC make an educated guess about which strains of influenza will be prevalent during the next season. They choose the three or four most likely strains, and the vaccine is manufactured containing antibodies against those strains.

HOWEVER, there are thousands of strains of influenza - and if they guess wrong, even immunized persons can and often do get 'the flu'.

So yes, it is entirely possible to get a flu shot and then come down with influenza.

So glad you already said what I was trying to say, and you said it well :). (Missed this post the first time through)

You would think as a diabetic I'd be out running to get a flu shot. But for the past 5 years, I've passed. My doctor does not advocate me getting one mainly due to the strains. My sister (also a diabetic) had one and immediately got the flu. I'm a SAHM, and try to avoid crowded places anyway. Doesn't mean I'll be in the clear, but keeping fingers crossed.

Slightly OT: The BEST way to keep from getting the flu (in my opinion) is to wash your hands often (soap and water, not sanitizer unless it's all you have) and do NOT touch your face.

Like I said, never had the flu. This year's shot was my very first- and only because I would lose my job if I didn't get one.

And on the heels of Meanmaryjean, it doesn't even need to be antibacterial soap. Good old warm water and soap good and sudsy and thorough! Teach your kids good practices for sneezing/coughing (into elbow and facing down to floor). Eat well, sleep well.

My small (population under 500,000) county currently has 3 people hospitalized in critical condition with the flu. Two are otherwise healthy people in their 30s. Last week a young pregnant woman here died from it. Yes, the flu can kill. Please, please get a flu shot.

It may work if it's the correct one. However, my kid was getting vaccinations for other things (polio, etc) and they offered the flu shot. I looked at the page and it was Flu B shot.

She got Flu A this year. So it's a gamble regardless. JMO.

I've never had the shot because of allergies but I've talked to all kinds of people who say they have gotten really sick immediately after getting the shot. I don't know if it's an urban myth or what.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back