1399 users online (272 members and 1127 guests)  

Websleuths News

Poll: Did you get a flu shot this season?

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Slightly OT: The BEST way to keep from getting the flu (in my opinion) is to wash your hands often (soap and water, not sanitizer unless it's all you have) and do NOT touch your face.

Like I said, never had the flu. This year's shot was my very first- and only because I would lose my job if I didn't get one.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

And on the heels of Meanmaryjean, it doesn't even need to be antibacterial soap. Good old warm water and soap good and sudsy and thorough! Teach your kids good practices for sneezing/coughing (into elbow and facing down to floor). Eat well, sleep well.

My small (population under 500,000) county currently has 3 people hospitalized in critical condition with the flu. Two are otherwise healthy people in their 30s. Last week a young pregnant woman here died from it. Yes, the flu can kill. Please, please get a flu shot.

It may work if it's the correct one. However, my kid was getting vaccinations for other things (polio, etc) and they offered the flu shot. I looked at the page and it was Flu B shot.

She got Flu A this year. So it's a gamble regardless. JMO.

I've never had the shot because of allergies but I've talked to all kinds of people who say they have gotten really sick immediately after getting the shot. I don't know if it's an urban myth or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten a flu shot and still contracted the flu?
    A few years ago I got the flu shot and also got the worse case of the flu that I had ever contracted. I have not gotten the shot since nor have I gotten the flu. I am not sure if it was just a fluke, but I am steering clear of the flu shot now days.
    "Words can break someone into a million pieces, but they can also put them back together. I hope you use yours for good, because the only words you'll regret more than the ones left unsaid are the ones you use to intentionally hurt someone."

Another thing about the flu shot that most people don't realize,

You're not immediately immune. It takes your body about two weeks to get the antibodies in place.

I've seen people be super cautious before taking the shot, then right after they will be near sick people or share drinks or something, then get the flu and claim that the shot does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
    My small (population under 500,000) county currently has 3 people hospitalized in critical condition with the flu. Two are otherwise healthy people in their 30s. Last week a young pregnant woman here died from it. Yes, the flu can kill. Please, please get a flu shot.
    We have two people on ECMO life support right now from influenza at my hospital. Influenza can kill you- even if you're young and healthy. I've seen it.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

I have never gotten the flu shot and I have not had the flu as an adult ( that has been a long time). I have been exposed to the flu but have never been sick with it as an adult. I guess I need to knock on wood.

There have been two deaths in the last 10 days in my area. Both young adults (35-45). Not with underlying diseases. One was sick for a week and died within a day of admission to the hospital. The other died 5 days after admission.

This one is hitting younger people because older folks have some immunity from prior influzena outbreaks or prior vaccinations.

This is a real and dangerous disease. Please don't ignore sound medical advice.
    Things that make you go hmmmmmm

I get the Flu shot and have not had a flu
    I work in a hospital and it is "highly recommended" we get the flu shot.
    We are not forced to get the flu shot but IF ever we are in an Outbreak situation those who have not gotten the flu shot have been told that they would be prevented from working in the hospital.
    ----------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    Same here, and I was sick as a dog!! NEVER AGAIN!
    Not only did I have flu symptoms for @48 hours (fever, nausea, body aches, etc.), I got dizzy and nearly fainted immediately following the injection. I also had an itchy rash at the site of the injection. Never again is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten a flu shot and still contracted the flu?
    Yes-in the 70's, I got the Swine Flu vaccination, and a couple of days later, I was sicker than I'd ever been with the flu-to the point of nearly fainting. The same thing happened to my brother, when he got the same shot in a different state. I've never had another flu shot, and most years I don't get the flu, either!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    You would think as a diabetic I'd be out running to get a flu shot. But for the past 5 years, I've passed. My doctor does not advocate me getting one mainly due to the strains. My sister (also a diabetic) had one and immediately got the flu. I'm a SAHM, and try to avoid crowded places anyway. Doesn't mean I'll be in the clear, but keeping fingers crossed.
    Aren't you afraid your kids will bring it home from school? Also, watch the handle on the shopping cart at the grocery store.

I grew up in a house with 5 other kids, so have been exposed to a great many viruses, and get sick so infrequently that my husband says in the olden days they would have burned me as a witch-this is why I roll the dice on the flu shot. Also, the last time I got the shot I got very sick ( the shot may not have caused it, but didn't prevent it, either)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    I've never had the shot because of allergies but I've talked to all kinds of people who say they have gotten really sick immediately after getting the shot. I don't know if it's an urban myth or what.
    it's not an urban myth for me, or my brother-we both got really sick one year, and we weren't even living in the same state so one didn't catch it from the other

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast