744 users online (175 members and 569 guests)  

Websleuths News

Poll: Did you get a flu shot this season?

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    The last flu shot that both my daughter and I had was about 4 years ago. It was definitely longer than two weeks after that shot, I think it was around 4 months or so later, we both got the flu badly. She was the sickest I have ever seen her in her life before then or since. We haven't had the shot since then, and neither of us have had the flu since then. She only gets mild colds, maybe once or twice a year, and I've had about 4 colds since then, and two have become bronchitis. But no flu symptoms for either of us since those last vaccinations.

I always get a flu shot. I also travel a lot and have had several exotic vaccinations most people don't have to worry about, like typhoid and yellow fever. I did not get typhoid or yellow fever after having those vaccinations.

Are people who don't get the flu shot worried about getting sick from other vaccines, or just for the flu?? Me, I'm kind of addicted to life and if there's a chance I could be exposed to a horrible, painful, deadly disease and there is a vaccination that can prevent it, I am all OVER the needle.

H1N1 is out and about and spreading like wildfire… hence why this normal non shot person is going to call. Talked to my kids about it, too!

As for those who get sick. I always wonder, they say it takes about 2 weeks for the shot to work (for your body to recognize it and build up immunity). The virus is not live, I'm a full believer you were in contact with it prior to your shot. I may be blind to something else medically. btw I'm NOT a huge fan of vaccines though there are some I would never skimp on, many I won't touch. The flu shot is sort of a year by year thing for me… depending upon my panic level and my kids' panic levels. Sometimes only one or a couple of us get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Minette View Post
    I always get a flu shot. I also travel a lot and have had several exotic vaccinations most people don't have to worry about, like typhoid and yellow fever. I did not get typhoid or yellow fever after having those vaccinations.

Are people who don't get the flu shot worried about getting sick from other vaccines, or just for the flu?? Me, I'm kind of addicted to life and if there's a chance I could be exposed to a horrible, painful, deadly disease and there is a vaccination that can prevent it, I am all OVER the needle.
    I have a good friend who 15 yrs later is still suffering the almost deadly effects of GBS from a flu shot. I try to always weigh the risks/benefits. For the most part, it isn't deadly. H1N1 strain is a different story as are a few others. I also am a big believer in healthy eating (sometimes to an extreme others do not go to). I have 2 kids with 'issues' as we will call them for now and no, not autism. But I do worry about anything I put in them including vaccinations… and yes I did the major vaccinations but will not do others as they get older and have one that i could shoot myself for getting them.

To me, each year it is a new choice. This year i will call and see if there is anything available. Had a heck of a fall season and wish I did it earlier, but didn't so it is what it is.

(never been sick from a shot and never believe it is the shot, but in reality a few days if flu compared to two weeks is a small price to pay if you are truly getting the shot in order to avoid the real full-blown flu which is not a couple of days issue in anyway)

You can't get the flu from the flu shot. It's dead.

The spray is live virus (unlike the shot!), but not too many adults get the spray (if any)… I have only seen the spray offered to children and mostly via school vaccination clinics (around here anyway). There are some specific criteria one must meet for the spray to include no egg allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by lisser View Post
    The last flu shot that both my daughter and I had was about 4 years ago. It was definitely longer than two weeks after that shot, I think it was around 4 months or so later, we both got the flu badly. She was the sickest I have ever seen her in her life before then or since. We haven't had the shot since then, and neither of us have had the flu since then. She only gets mild colds, maybe once or twice a year, and I've had about 4 colds since then, and two have become bronchitis. But no flu symptoms for either of us since those last vaccinations.
    You probably (likely or definitely) had a strain not covered in that year's vaccination.

It seems that for the most part, people who are generally quite healthy are not at as much risk even if they do get the flu. The exception to that is the H1N1 strain which is proving to be the exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Minette View Post

I'm generally pro vaccine. I'm up on all my other vaccinations, with the exception of my hep b booster, and my dd is fully vaccinated too.

The thought that H1N1 does seem to kill otherwise healthy people does unnerve me a bit, but the odds are still very low. I have better odds of getting killed in a car accident every single time I drive.

My biggest question about the vaccine is, how many of those who are admitted to the icu or who have unfortunately passed from the virus, were vaccinated for it this year? And of those, how many had the vaccine more than two weeks prior to landing in the hospital with it? I can't seem to find any data on that at all.

I had the flu shot about 10 years ago and was convinced it made me sick afterwards so I didn't get it for years. About 4 years ago I finally caught the full blown flu, diagnosed with a rather painful nose swab to confirm it. It was the sickest I ever remember being in my entire adult life. For almost two weeks I had a fever that I couldn't shake. I could not get out of bed. Then I couldn't breathe and had a horrible cough for weeks afterward. I got the flu shot every year after that and this year about two months ago. So far my husband has been sick as a dog and everyone around me has been dropping like flies. At work we have been short staffed for weeks, just when people get better, others are out. It's been a really sick month around these parts. As for me, I've been healthy aside from a couple day cold or two and I'm hoping (knock on wood) that it stays that way!

If I can avoid it, I don't EVER want to contract the flu again. Let's just say I fully understood why it kills elderly and very young. It was brutal.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sfbaynancydrew View Post
    I had the flu shot about 10 years ago and was convinced it made me sick afterwards so I didn't get it for years. About 4 years ago I finally caught the full blown flu, diagnosed with a rather painful nose swab to confirm it. It was the sickest I ever remember being in my entire adult life. For almost two weeks I had a fever that I couldn't shake. I could not get out of bed. Then I couldn't breathe and had a horrible cough for weeks afterward. I got the flu shot every year after that and this year about two months ago. So far my husband has been sick as a dog and everyone around me has been dropping like flies. At work we have been short staffed for weeks, just when people get better, others are out. It's been a really sick month around these parts. As for me, I've been healthy aside from a couple day cold or two and I'm hoping (knock on wood) that it stays that way!

If I can avoid it, I don't EVER want to contract the flu again. Let's just say I fully understood why it kills elderly and very young. It was brutal.
    I totally agree! Even though I'm suffering from a mild case of the flu right now (still had vomiting and fevers), despite getting the flu shot, I still highly recommend getting it because you NEVER want to have a full-on case of it. Been there, done that!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

I'm slightly amused that in Canada, although they are saying that everyone who can be, should be vaccinated...there isn't actually enough vaccine to vaccinate everyone. My province will run out before the end of the weekend, and a few other cities are already completely out.

Doesn't make a bit of sense to me to fear-monger the way the news is only to not be able to provide the vaccine to everyone who wants it.

Hi! I had mine in October. My Doctor insists on one for me. I have COPD, bronchial asthma. I've been getting one every year.
    My Buffy. He lives in Heaven now
    with my loved ones..xoxox

I've never received a flu shot and never intend to. It's all about money. When Walgreens, CVS, and your local grocery store advertise year round for flu and shinlges shots you know it's more about money than effectiveness. Walgreen's alone adminstered nearly 6 million shots last year. Quite the cash cow.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingHoping View Post
    I have a good friend who 15 yrs later is still suffering the almost deadly effects of GBS from a flu shot. I try to always weigh the risks/benefits. For the most part, it isn't deadly. H1N1 strain is a different story as are a few others. I also am a big believer in healthy eating (sometimes to an extreme others do not go to). I have 2 kids with 'issues' as we will call them for now and no, not autism. But I do worry about anything I put in them including vaccinations… and yes I did the major vaccinations but will not do others as they get older and have one that i could shoot myself for getting them.

To me, each year it is a new choice. This year i will call and see if there is anything available. Had a heck of a fall season and wish I did it earlier, but didn't so it is what it is.

(never been sick from a shot and never believe it is the shot, but in reality a few days if flu compared to two weeks is a small price to pay if you are truly getting the shot in order to avoid the real full-blown flu which is not a couple of days issue in anyway)
    I stopped all vaccinations on my children as well after age 10. I'm so sick of all the western doctors pushing vaccines, I'm convinced its all about money. I wish I would have skipped all vaccines but didn't know any better at the time. The number of vaccines administered to a child before they are even 3 years old is quite frightening. The number would shock most people. I'm not convinced doctors even know what the effects of all of these vaccines at once are on a child.

I was so thankful when my kids were very young my ped did not fall into line on the chicken pox vaccine. He actually didn't want the kids having it. After a couple of years he fell prey to the common belief. because he was the honest ped, I trusted in him, talked to others and finally went for it. So they had it…… and then I thought now what? If it doesn't work and they become pregnant and maybe become teachers and end up with chicken pox. Then I watched as many (MANY) of my friends young children fell prey to shingles. NOT an illness you want your babies to have, this is mean to be dealt with by an unlucky adult and that is it. Now we are vaccinating for shingles and don't know where that will bring us.

Do you know that the more exposure to the chicken pox you have (even after having them) the less likely you are to acquire shingles??? This is no longer possible……even if you do not get your child vaccinated the exposure opportunities are not available due to the majority being vaccinated. This is one that I'd go back and change my decision without thought. I'm kicking myself for changing my mind and letting them get it. We were there for appts at one point and somehow they all ended up with CP boosters… a few months later I sat them down and told them I was sorry!!!! I've had them looking up information since. I'm not somebody who believes off some post on FB, but there is real information out there on the pox and shingles. EVERYBODY should make educated decisions and more importantly NOT be pushed into anything when it comes to physically putting something into your child's body that will physiologically change them forever --- or worse, not -- or worse maybe… just be aware. Again, polio, ya I'd probably still go with that. the basics. I would though NEVER allow them more than one shot at a time after researching and educating myself and deciding yes I want this one.

So new parents, use your noggins. I'm not saying yes nor no, just use your minds, read, (real research, medical journals, talk to people and include those in the med profession.) If you read only about how vaccinations are terrible you'll find only terrible information. If you read only about how they are life changing you'll find only positive information.

Learn how to read REAL RESEARCH!

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast