NC teen with schizophrenia shot and killed by police in front of parents

cuffem

Reaction score
http://www.wncn.com/story/24367610/lawyer-defends-officer-in-bsl-shooting-investigation

This has been covered by CNN for the past 2 days,but only one station is covering here in Raleigh.Not one mention from our other 2 stations wral5 and
wtvd11,weird. NC police are starting to look like a bunch of Barny Fiff's,with the shooting in Charlotte of the car crash victim and the suicide in Durham of a handcuffed teen in police custody.
This is my first thread so I hope I did it correct.

Keith weighed 90 lbs.
Keith was tased twice and was lying on the ground when he was shot.
There were 3 officers on the scene.

This is very disturbing. :(

I mean no offense to most LE in NC but I am loosing faith in how they are handling calls and investigations.Look at the Amanda Hayes trial with evidence left in car and nothing happening in the death of Mckenzie Sessoms.Not sure how to link those two threads.

Keith weighed 90 lbs.
Keith was tased twice and was lying on the ground when he was shot.
There were 3 officers on the scene.

This is very disturbing. :(

This is horrendous, how could this happen! How can the police taser a man, have hi pinned on the floor and then deem him to be a large enough threat to shoot him dead. 3 police men could not subdue a man after tasering him several times.

Oh I just read in the article that the parents lost their daughter recently in a car accident. This is as bad as it can get for a family :( Tragic beyond belief.

What is going on lately with police and extremely excessive force. Everyday there is another story of a police officer shooting a person or animal with really no reason. How am I suppose to explain this away to my kids. "If you need help always call the police" and then "just pray that they don't read you wrong and kill you" so sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/08/justice/north-carolina-teen-killed/

The North Carolina Police Benevolent Association laid out its version of what happened in Boiling Spring Lakes in a statement issued Wednesday, three days after Keith Vidal was killed.

The most salient part was its defense of a Southport police detective for shooting Vidal after, in its view, determining the teenager posed a "deadly threat" to another officer. The professional organization represents both these officers, but not a sheriff's deputy also at the scene.

"(The) detective ... employed authorized law enforcement action to stop the continuing threat of deadly harm to (the officer) and others," the Police Benevolent Association concluded.

I will wait for the official investigation. The PBA would not be expected to come to any other conclusion, imo.

Why has this not been covered by our local stations in raleigh,wral5cbs,wcvn11abc?They cover stories from the entire state.Nothing at all for 4 days.The original story was an I report to CNN done 2 hours after shooting.Would we have heard about this if not reported on CNN?

Mary Wilsey entered the foyer of the D.A.’s office and banged on a closed door, demanding to be allowed in. Other members of the family told her to stop, that “they’ll kill you, too.”
http://stateportpilot.com/topstory/article_495726ba-7808-11e3-a90e-001a4bcf887a.html

^True! Mary was likely bigger than 5'3" and 90 lb Keith who 3 officers couldn't physically control while on the ground after being tased twice.

Get prominently involved, NAMI!!

'We called for help, and they killed my son,' North Carolina man says

"Although the state Bureau of Investigation is looking into the shooting, the chief prosecutor for the state's 13th Judicial District, which includes Brunswick County, says it's way too early to characterize what happened.

"I think that we can certainly understand why this family is upset right now," the Wilmington Star-News newspaper quoted District Attorney Jon David as saying. "They just lost a child, and certainly my thoughts and prayers are with them. But what they want from this office today is justice, and I intend to give them exactly that.""

more at http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/justice/north-carolina-teen-killed/

When I read this last night ,my blood was boiling too much to even post.

This is totally unacceptable and WRONG! I will not accept any excuse for this that they come up with.

This poor boy was murdered IMO and his family has been thrown into anguish forever.

This poor family lost a daughter suddenly to a car accident already.

I hope they get justice. And all the love and support they do, and will ,so desperately need.

The North Carolina detective who shot and killed a mentally ill teenager has been indicted by a grand jury on one count of voluntary manslaughter, the Brunswick County District Attorney's office said in a news release.

Bryon Vassey of the Southport Police Department was given until noon Wednesday to surrender. A judge set bail Monday night at $50,000.

"After I reviewed the case I found that a crime almost certainly did take place,"
District Attorney Jon David told reporters Tuesday. "It was a 'bad shoot.' A grand jury has agreed."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/04/justice/north-carolina-slain-teen/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Still no coverage on our local news.There was a brief report when it first happened on the am news but nothing by noon. I sent an e-mail to WRAL5.

Usually I will defend police officers. They get so much slack from the public and unfairly so. However in this case I feel that the officers were in the wrong.

They couldn't subdue a 90 pound kid? Why didn't they cuff him? Call for more help?

I have personally watched officers take down a 250 pound schizophrenic man who was in a psychotic state. It took 7 or 8 officers, but they eventually got him down. The man was injured but still alive. If they can do this, they can subdue a 90 pound freaking kid!

The mental health system is broken & I've said it so many times that I am starting to feel like a broken record.

Sorry, this story has made me feel physically sick.
What is happening with US LE?
As a UK RMN I'm positive two grown cops could easily have subdued this kid.
Thoughts are with his parents.

Still waiting for his attorney's statement? He hasn't turned himself in?

Hoping for justice for Keith. Still angry about this!

this just so disturbing!
i wouldn't have classed this as manslaughter...no way.

this poor kid was on the floor after being tazed more than once with what 3 officers on the scene and they had to shoot him?!?! :banghead:

this is happening far too often.

i hope the family can sue the officer if/when found guilty for wrongful death.

it is so sad to read that they have also just recently lost a daughter and now this?

urgh when will some cops learn that they are not above the law and cannot just go around doing whatever the frig they like.

When this kind of thing happens too often its generally a sign something is drastically WRONG with the line staff officers immediate supervision staff.
It only takes one high functioning psychopath in a supervisory position to set a low bar on unacceptable behavior and procedure.
Basically create an enviroment where this kind of violent response is encouraged and applauded.

Crap like this is the VERY reason hubby left LE.

http://www.wncn.com/story/24367610/lawyer-defends-officer-in-bsl-shooting-investigation pub Jan 5, updated Jan 11
"...parentscalled police for help after they say the 18-year-old was suffering from a schizophrenic episode and
was carrying a screwdriver in his hand...."

Q: What does a person having a 'schizophrenic episode' do (beside holding screwdriver) that would incite fam to call 911?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/08/justice/north-carolina-teen-killed/ pub Jan 9, 2014"The [911] caller said that Vidal "won't take his medication" and his family has had "to put him in before,
(and) he's getting real bad again."
"Mark Ryan Wilsey said Wednesday that Boiling Spring Lakes police were familiar with Vidal,
having gone to the family's house at least three times before...."

Q: Assuming the same LE officers were involved as in previous calls, would the behavior be very consistent or predictable from one episode to another?

Thx in adv. :seeya:

Sending healing thoughts to fam and all involved in this sad, sad situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back