GUILTY Bali - Aussie Schapelle Corby, 27, convicted of drug smuggling, 2005

islegirl

Former Member
Reaction score
What if this was your family, wife, friend..or what if it were you.?
After seeing this case on the news and reading about it-- I have to say it's disturbing. Personally after reading the facts, I don't think she did this crime, however she was pre-judged by the public and media--and they want to make an example of her.. (what if she's innocent..?)
It's too long to explain the footage they are showing on TV on how she and her family are being attacked going to court.. very fu@*#* up!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In early October last year, Schapelle Corby, a 27-year-old Australian beauty-school student, was arrested at Bali’s Denpasar airport after 4.1 kilograms of marijuana were found by Indonesian customs in her body-board surfing bag. Under Indonesian law, the penalty for marijuana dealing is the same as for heroin dealing.

Corby was charged with drug trafficking and faces execution by a 12-man firing squad if the court finds her guilty. A three-judge court heard the final arguments in the defense case last week and is expected to hand down its verdict in May.

From the outset, Corby, who has no criminal record or any history of drug abuse, has denied any knowledge of the drug, arguing that it must have been planted in the unlocked bag. She had travelled from Australia with her 17-year-old half-brother and two friends and planned to holiday with her sister Mercedes, who is married with two children.

Wiswantanu told the court that the only way he would accept Corby’s innocence was if the defence could prove that the drugs were not in her body-board bag when it was checked in at Brisbane airport, or provide visual evidence of someone placing them there. It is extremely difficult for Corby’s lawyers to provide such evidence.

Indonesian media is attempting to whip up sections of the population against Corby. There are ongoing calls for her execution, and some of the local media have taken to referring to her as the “Ganja Queen”.
In February this year, members of GRANAT, an anti-narcotics group, burst into Corby’s trial carrying placards and chanting slogans demanding her execution.

Austrailan Schapelle Corby, 27, sentenced to 20 years in Bali for drug smuggling.

I'd like to know the details on this case, to know if the rule of law is being applied mindlessly based on a snapshot of circumstances, or if there's more to it than is being reported.

Was she apprehended before she picked up her bag?

Does she have prior convictions?

She was apprehended at the airport with the 9 lbs of Marjuana in her surfing bag. She allegedly tried to prevent them ftom opening it. Maybe she allowed someone else to put it in her bag?

The prosecutors in the case think the sentence was too lenient and allegedly want to retry the case. She is apparently lucky she only receeive 20 years as the death penalty is available.

Obviously their laws are much different than most of the rest of the world, but we have to be aware of the laws in the country we visit, as ignorance of the law isn't a presentable defense.

I know this women "claims" that he drugs were planted in her luggage, and that very well may be the case. It has happened before, but.....

She was in possession of the bag that held the drugs.

I find it hard to believe that she would not notice her surf bag was almost 10lbs heavier.

Especially when as she claimed she opened up the bag to an empty compartment.

But, the recorded weight of the bag mysteriously "disappeared" in Sydney.

So it does make one wonder.........

Always put a lock on all of your travel bags......and refuse to take possession of the bag if the locks have been removed or damaged.

Just don't take possession, because you don't know what you might be taking possession of.

I just watched Ganja Queen on HBO and did a WS search and didn't find anything on her about her. Shapelle Corby was a 28 yr old Austrailan on holiday with her family in Bali when 4.2 kilos was found in her boogie board bag at the Bali Indonesia Airport she had checked in Sydney at the oversized luggage counter. The bag was never checked for prints and the origin of the pot was never traced.

She was arrested on drug traffiking charges - a charge which can carry death by firing squad. She was found guilty and sentenced to 20 years in an Indonesian prison based on the testimony of the custom officials. There are no cameras in the customs office in the Indonesian airport so there is no recording or film to back what either sides said occurred in the customs office that day.

A witness came forward and said he had heard two men in an Austrailan jail where he was serving a sentence talking about how the drugs were put into the wrong bag at the Sydney airport and they even named a specific drug dealer. This witness testified at her trial with the knowledge that he may be murdered for his testimony. He had nothing to gain from this testimony.

There has never been a connection made between Corby and any drug dealers and it was never established who she was trafficking the drugs for.

I have attached some links about Corby's case. I am about 85% on thinking she is innocent. I am 100% sure of opposing Indonesia's policy on drug sentencing - death by firing squad for trafficking pot? 20 years for trafficking pot is very harsh in my opinion especially given the lack of evidence supporting the idea that Corby was a drug mule.

She is currently hospitalized in an Indonesian hospital with depression, severe paranoia and hallucinations.

I am curious to hear other people's opinions and insights to Corby's case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schapelle_Corby

http://www.freeschapelle.com.au/ ( Her personal website maintained from Indonesian Prison

http://www.freeschapelle.net/

http://corbyisguilty.blogspot.com/

http://www.hbo.com/docs/docuseries/ganjaqueen/

Great thread..I have followedthis case since the beginning. IMO Authorities should be looking at her Dad and brothers. All the family are flaky and do the girl 'no favours' everytime they speak. Her sister,Mercedes has a big mouth that just makes it worse for Schappelle.
That said, I am not convinced of her innocence or guilt either way....But it seems really dumb to walk through 2 airports with a boogie board bag stuffed with ganga in a clear plastic bag.:eek:
I do not think the girl will live to do her whole sentance...

Just to add that I think it is appalling that the origin of the dope was never traced.That is sooo wrong..

I never knew anything about her case til now. Gosh, she is beautiful..
So, they say she is now hospitalized with paranoia and hallucinations? That's alarming in and of itself.
I have to wonder: Is she being involuntarily drugged to make her paranoid and hallucinating? Or has she been terrorized/ tortured to the breaking point?

Where is her family and attorney right now in all of this? Are they trying to help her? Are there embassies and ambassadors who could help her in a foreign country? To get her out for proper medical/ psych. eval. and treatment? How was she represented legally at her trial and conviction? Did she testify in her own behalf?

I don't know anything about Indonesian law, but I totally agree that killing someone over possession of pot is out of the realm of rational thinking. This is so disturbing on many levels. There are a lot more unanswered questions than anything else, and a young woman's life may hang in the balance right now.

ETA: I read some of the website info... not sure how accurate it is, if it is her family telling their side of things, or a journalist.. I agree that she most likely won't live to get out of prison, judging from the most recent photograph of her, unless there is an authoritative group which can exert influence to have her released. It said all her appeals had been exhausted. How could that happen already?
Oh, this is so sad.

Maria

Shes as guilty as sin and her sister and mother should be locked up beside her....thats my opinion anyway:)

There have been so many controversies surrounding her case that it all became a soap opera. Alot of this was caused by an entrepenerial do gooder who made things worse.Initially her legal representation was not great.The aussie government seems to have forsaken her although our former International Affairs Minister , Alexander Downer was vocal in telling the Indonesians to investigate other family members. This weekend her cousin has spokemn out about Michael Corby's drug dealing (alleged). Michael is her Dad and is now deceased.....

I never knew anything about her case til now. Gosh, she is beautiful..
So, they say she is now hospitalized with paranoia and hallucinations? That's alarming in and of itself.
I have to wonder: Is she being involuntarily drugged to make her paranoid and hallucinating? Or has she been terrorized/ tortured to the breaking point?

Where is her family and attorney right now in all of this? Are they trying to help her? Are there embassies and ambassadors who could help her in a foreign country? To get her out for proper medical/ psych. eval. and treatment? How was she represented legally at her trial and conviction? Did she testify in her own behalf?

I don't know anything about Indonesian law, but I totally agree that killing someone over possession of pot is out of the realm of rational thinking. This is so disturbing on many levels. There are a lot more unanswered questions than anything else, and a young woman's life may hang in the balance right now.

ETA: I read some of the website info... not sure how accurate it is, if it is her family telling their side of things, or a journalist.. I agree that she most likely won't live to get out of prison, judging from the most recent photograph of her, unless there is an authoritative group which can exert influence to have her released. It said all her appeals had been exhausted. How could that happen already?
Oh, this is so sad.

Maria
Each to their own:confused:

Shes as guilty as sin and her sister and mother should be locked up beside her....thats my opinion anyway:)
Sorry Dingo. I do not think it is that simple....I do not think this case was adequately investigated.Although I am not saying she is innocent I do think there is more to her story.....I agree about her Mother and Sister.They both need gagging....:blowkiss:

Each to their own:confused:

Dingo, respectfully, I daresay MOST of the USA has never heard of her case until now. I don't know why, nor do I know why it's just now coming up. You bolded 2 statements in my short post. I would like to respond to the sentences you apparently take exception to. In the early photos, she appears to have been a very pretty young woman. Now, she looks, well, wild-eyed --like she is hallucinating.

If you have compelling reasons to think she was a drug runner into Bali, I think everyone would like to know what they are. Do you believe the Indonesian court? If someone questioning her legal defense and family offends you, speak out as to why, instead of bolding a sentence and saying " Each to their own".

If you have case facts, please post them. All I have seen is her personal website from prison, another site I imagine is maintained by her family or friends, and some guy's blog saying over and over that she's guilty, that Bali is a gorgeous vacation destination and safe to go to ( Aruba redux?)
Like I said, I really don't think her case ever received much attention at all in the USA, so please be patient.

Thank you.
Maria

But what really bugs me is that the Bali Bombers walk free after killing so many and Schappelle is still over there serving her sentance....
Bring her home..

I know what youre saying Kazz....her punishment is harsh compared to them...maybe if she had of owned uo to it she would have got off lighter..honestly what do you think of her family?...Mecedies is a piece of work dont you think..I cringe everytime I see her on telly:eek:

Dingo, respectfully, I daresay MOST of the USA has never heard of her case until now. I don't know why, nor do I know why it's just now coming up. You bolded 2 statements in my short post. I would like to respond to the sentences you apparently take exception to. In the early photos, she appears to have been a very pretty young woman. Now, she looks, well, wild-eyed --like she is hallucinating.

If you have compelling reasons to think she was a drug runner into Bali, I think everyone would like to know what they are. Do you believe the Indonesian court? If someone questioning her legal defense and family offends you, speak out as to why, instead of bolding a sentence and saying " Each to their own".

If you have case facts, please post them. All I have seen is her personal website from prison, another site I imagine is maintained by her family or friends, and some guy's blog saying over and over that she's guilty, that Bali is a gorgeous vacation destination and safe to go to ( Aruba redux?)
Like I said, I really don't think her case ever received much attention at all in the USA, so please be patient.

Thank you.
Maria
hi, I would never go to Bali.. it is not a safe country IMO . Not to mention the way they treated the Bali bombers and the lack of respect to Aussies that their authorities showed in letting the front man go.It is corrupt and only interested in Aussie tourist dollars.

I know what youre saying Kazz....her punishment is harsh compared to them...maybe if she had of owned uo to it she would have got off lighter..honestly what do you think of her family?...Mecedies is a piece of work dont you think..I cringe everytime I see her on telly:eek:
Yep, she makes me gag...now, I do think she knows a lot more about that gear than she admits too....I do not trust any of that girls family.Did you see nines docos the week after last?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back