Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The namecalling ends. Now. It's clear in our rules that namecalling of players in cases, or each other, is a rules violation. If I see any more namecalling in this thread, the poster gets to be on the outside looking in.

Zero tolerance from this point forward. :saber:

Everyone is safe.

However............

I'm adding two issues that need to be addressed.

No more personalizing. Time outs for this from now on. If someone is bugging you for some reason, use the alert feature and/or put the member on your ignore list. The modsnips are many and our mods are not editors. They are moderators.

Use links to back up your facts! If you are not a verified professional in the field of the topic you are discussing, you must link!

None of this is new. If you don't understand what is going on, please contact me privately so I can help you.

Guidelines for posting:

*be prepared to substantiate with a link to statements of fact

*post in a respectful and civil manner

*steer clear of bringing race into the discussion

*selective social media is allowed as long as it has to do with Jahi's condition, the hospital or related to the case. Anything personal is OFF LIMITS. It must PERTAIN to the case.

*avoid posting negative insinuations about the family

Continue discussion here...

While not understanding the medical terms and everything about this tragedy... I have to say --- Poor Jahi ! She must have been so frightened !

My only experience thus far with hospitals was when my kids were born. Everything went fine and at both places I felt the staff was friendly and professional.

The only problem I have is if the staff was absent or whatever when Jahi began having complications ---if this is true--- it should not have happened. Even a few seconds can make a difference.

The only problem I have is if the staff was absent or whatever when Jahi began having complications ---if this is true--- it should not have happened. Even a few seconds can make a difference.

RBBM -- I believe this might be a matter of perspective and the chart should show what time these things all actually happened. A quick example: My son was very ill with bilateral pyelonephritis (kidney infection) back in May 2009. He was admitted because he had a 105* fever. It took many tests to figure out what exactly was wrong, some very invasive (spinal tap).

I remember vividly my sweet son going into what the physicians later called "an altered mental state" (symptom of kidney infection, who knew, eh?). My child came after me, screaming and trying to beat me up. Making animal noises during the whole time. As soon as he lunged at me I rang the nurse. It seemed like an eternity for her to get there as I'm being horrified by this 7 year old little fella.

In reality, when I thought of the situation later, the nurse was there to help in about 8 secs. My point being: when the !@#$ is hitting the fan, any delay in help seems like a "no one is there to help you" situation.

I think this is one of those cases where something just goes wrong, no fault of the patient or hospital, & everyone just jumps on it, because of the family's beliefs (I think they are trying to avoid the inevitable).

The tragic part of this is that Jahi is overshadowed by different agendas-& she is being held as a poster child for a cause, that almost no one really believes in.

Bringing this over from the last thread

"Originally Posted by katydid23
I have since discovered that she underwent a high-risk surgery in which death and permanent neurologic injury occurred in 86 out of 111 cases (77%) reported in a recent study. See: Cote CJ, Posner KL, Domino KB. Death or Neurologic Injury After Tonsillectomy in Children with a Focus on Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Houston, We Have a Problem! (Anesth Analg 2013 Jul 10). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23842193

The authors recommend respiratory monitoring throughout first and second stage recovery.

http://frederickleatherman.com/2014/...f-jahi-mcmath/"

I believe you are incorrectly thinking that 86 out of 111 cases or 77% is the rate in which patients suffer neurolociical damage or die as a direct result of this surgery. That isn't the case. The 111 cases were studied for causation breakdown.

I could be wrong...but I don't think so.

I have looked and looked for information related to oral/orophyparyngeal (way back in the mouth) suction post op for tonsillectomy and find nothing. I did come across PACU policy re post op tonsillectomy nursing care and there was nothing that mentioned suction or contraindications to suctioning. I did find notations regarding positioning patient less than conscious to promote oral drainage and to instruct patient to spit out secretions into a cup if unable to swallow an that these of a straw for drinking because it could cause bleeding.

If sipping thru a straw generates enough negative pressure to cause bleeding, OMG to the use of a yankauer with wall suction.

Eta: am going to pose this question to other nurses who specifically work recovery, Peds, PICU. Will let u know results.

I have since discovered that she underwent a high-risk surgery in which death and permanent neurologic injury occurred in 86 out of 111 cases (77%) reported in a recent study. See: Cote CJ, Posner KL, Domino KB. Death or Neurologic Injury After Tonsillectomy in Children with a Focus on Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Houston, We Have a Problem! (Anesth Analg 2013 Jul 10). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23842193

The authors recommend respiratory monitoring throughout first and second stage recovery.

I believe you are incorrectly thinking that 86 out of 111 cases or 77% is the rate in which patients suffer neurolociical damage or die as a direct result of this surgery. That isn't the case. The 111 cases were studied for causation breakdown.

I do not think it was always a DIRECT result of the surgery, but only saying that her case had several underlying medical issues that complicated the outcome.

RBBM -- I believe this might be a matter of perspective and the chart should show what time these things all actually happened. A quick example: My son was very ill with bilateral pyelonephritis (kidney infection) back in May 2009. He was admitted because he had a 105* fever. It took many tests to figure out what exactly was wrong, some very invasive (spinal tap).

I remember vividly my sweet son going into what the physicians later called "an altered mental state" (symptom of kidney infection, who knew, eh?). My child came after me, screaming and trying to beat me up. Making animal noises during the whole time. As soon as he lunged at me I rang the nurse. It seemed like an eternity for her to get there as I'm being horrified by this 7 year old little fella.

In reality, when I thought of the situation later, the nurse was there to help in about 8 secs. My point being: when the !@#$ is hitting the fan, any delay in help seems like a "no one is there to help you" situation.

This change in behavior is a common occurrence in the elderly with urinary tract infection.

I don't know what the OP is thinking, but I agree that the survey began with adverse outcomes and the sample was broken down from there. jmo

This change in behavior is a common occurrence in the elderly with urinary tract infection.

It was so out of character for him I was literally terrified. He was trying to kill me it seemed. We laugh about it now, but those 8 secs before the nurse arrived I wasn't sure if he would get me or I would lose him. I was that afraid. He even jokes now: Hey. mama, remember that time I tried to beat you up?

Sorry, back to sweet Jahi! <3

The latest developments in this situation have me completely dumbfounded and depressed. A trach and a g tube? :scared:

I so wish the hospital could tell its side of the story, but I know that HIPPA must prevent that from happening. That children's hospital has a good reputation, and I can't imagine what the medical professionals working there must be experiencing right now. :facepalm:

I do not think it was always a DIRECT result of the surgery, but only saying that her case had several underlying medical issues that complicated the outcome.

Leatherman, in the comment on his blog you quoted, makes it seem as if he's seen her medical chart and thus, knows for certain she fit the criteria in the NIH article. He completely misstates the facts of the case...ie, states her death stemmed from an episode of sleep apnea. Hard to lend credibility when he has, admittedly, not read the documents in the case.

The NIH article was excellent.

The latest developments in this situation have me completely dumbfounded and depressed. A trach and a g tube? :scared:

I so wish the hospital could tell its side of the story, but I know that HIPPA must prevent that from happening. That children's hospital has a good reputation, and I can't imagine what the medical professionals working there must be experiencing right now. :facepalm:

Even with HIPPA....I think the family can allow them to discuss the case...or no?

After searching, I found the following regarding suctioning:

"- After tonsillectomy, suction equipment should be available, but suctioning is not performed unless there is an airway obstruction because of the risk of trauma to the oropharynx. Monitoring for bleeding is an important nursing intervention following any type of surgery. Milk and milk products are avoided initially because they coat the throat, cause the child to clear the throat, and increase the risk of bleeding. Clear, cool liquids are encouraged."

http://www.nclexpinoy.com/2010/05/nclex-practice-examtest-level-of_31.html

She's left CHO, we're not sure what sort of facility she's in right now, & when I think about the medical professionals that may be treating her, it's disturbing to think about what they might have to deal with (& what her family, if they are present, are seeing).

I wish that this could all be over quickly, for her siblings & parents, that they could accept her death, & move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni