NE - Swearing toddler in Omaha police union video taken into protective custody

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/0...aken-into-protective-custody/?intcmp=obinsite

OMAHA, Neb. – A toddler who was cursed at and encouraged to curse in a video posted online has been placed in protective custody, Omaha police announced Wednesday.

In a news release, police said that four children, including the toddler from the video that was posted by the police union, were removed from the home.

The union has faced criticism for posting the video on its website. Union officials say they wanted to stimulate discussion about problems in the community and show what officers encounter. But critics said there were better ways to do that without subjecting a child to ridicule.......

The Omaha Police Department says it reviewed the video with prosecutors and authorities determined no criminal activities had taken place. However, police say they worked with Child Protective Services regarding concerns for the toddler's well-being and the investigation did find safety concerns in the home that led to the removal of the four children.

More at link.....(I thought this had been posted but cannot locate it. If there is another thread please merge)

I love how the debate is all about if the POLICE did something wrong by reposting the video.

Where did this Tot learn the verbiage?

I want to say soap in the mouth comes to mind, but that might be considered abuse by some. :blushing:

:truce:

Where did this Tot learn the verbiage?

I want to say soap in the mouth comes to mind, but that might be considered abuse by some. :blushing:

:truce:

There are far worse forms of abuse, imo, and the soap thing would probably work after the first try....who doesn't remember Ralphie sitting on the commode with the Lifebuoy in his mouth?? I was always fascinated by that red bar, truth be told!

I don't mean to imply kids don't say cuss words from time to time...but sticking up that middle finger and saying, "shut up b!tch!" is really too much.

ETA: I finally viewed the video (didn't want to see it, frankly). I was hoping this was just a toddler repeating, like a robot, what some idiot was egging him on to say. Sadly, this child is actually engaging in conversation with another person, and seems to know exactly how to use these words. He says to another person, "No, you a 'ho, _____". Sad, sad, sad.

I don't even want to think about where this child is in 10 years....if he is still alive.

Absolutely this tot did nothing wrong, nor should his mouth be washed out with soap. Watch the video. It's just a cute little kid swearing and showing his middle finger. Shocking? No, because he is being asked to do this by the adults around him. He has no idea what the words or gestures mean. Should the adults (or maybe not-quite-adults) be encouraging him? No. But that is just bad behavior on their part, not abuse. The police overreacted. IMO.

Absolutely this tot did nothing wrong, nor should his mouth be washed out with soap. Watch the video. It's just a cute little kid swearing and showing his middle finger. Shocking? No, because he is being asked to do this by the adults around him. He has no idea what the words or gestures mean. Should the adults (or maybe not-quite-adults) be encouraging him? No. But that is just bad behavior on their part, not abuse. The police overreacted. IMO.

I'm wondering if you and I saw the same video. In the one I saw, the child responds to one of the people, by saying, "No, you're a ho, _____", so, obviously, he knows how to use those words. He knows he's not describing the color of a car, he's using it as an insult. He was, I'm sure, an unwilling participant in all this, but if his behavior is not corrected, one day, he won't be so innocent, anymore, both in his thoughts, and most probably, his actions.

When did profanity become illegal? Tasteless for a tot to say it, yes, and tasteless for a parent to allow it, but it is not illegal.

There is more to this story than the swearing. This toddler also had his foot grazed by a bullet a few months back, grandma is in jail on gun charges, and the family has been moved TWICE at a charity's expense because of gang activities.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140109/NEWS/140108837

The child's 17 year old father D'Marco Pope, was killed last spring in what appeared to be a gang-related shooting.

"His grandmother was arrested last month after five guns were found in the house. She now sits in jail facing a weapons charge.

His grandfather was sent to prison last year, convicted of a weapons charge."

"A nonprofit child welfare agency, Nebraska Families Collaborative, became so concerned that it twice helped the family move so it could get away from gun violence.

Despite that support, an affidavit said, adults responsible for the children continued to let gang members into the home and near young children.

“The pattern of gang activity remains a part of this family's lifestyle,” the affidavit said."

Read the link. No child deserves to be raised in this environment.

Disgusting to teach a child that. Nope mom, all kids do not curse. Children learn what they live!

And I do not agree to not identifying the child's mother. She may be only 16 but she has a 3 year old child & has been "monitored" for abuse, investigated about 5 firearms in the house, had 15 people taken from a party at her house that were arrested. She has been acting "adult" for quite a while already.

Why were the guns reported? Are felons who cannot possess firearms living in the house? Why did someone shoot into the house? Why was that not a wake-up call for the mother? Where is the father? Who pays for rent & food, taxpayers? Then we should have a voice. The video stated that the government had already moved the "family". My definition of family is aligned with raising children to become respectable, responsible citizens, not thuggery.

There may be no laws broken in encouraging the child that language, but it is not ok. It makes me mad that the mother was not outraged, she calmly explained the incident that was recorded. Unless something changes, I do not foresee good things for these people.

ETA Thanks to SwampMama, I see some answers to my questions.

Well, hopefully through this story, this little guy will make it out of the 'hood, and live a safe and happy life. Too bad not every child in this situation gets national attention, and a charity relocating them due to gang activity. Hopefully Mom and Grandma wake up and smell the coffee.

These poor kids (mom included) dont stand a chance unless someone intervenes.....so Im glad CPS stepped in.

I'm officially sick of misleading headlines. Seriously. It is supposed to be a quick summary of what REALLY happened, not some sensational BS to grab readers. Annoying.

When did profanity become illegal? Tasteless for a tot to say it, yes, and tasteless for a parent to allow it, but it is not illegal.

The police NEVER said it was illegal! They just reposted the video and said something like "This is the type of thing we have to deal with".

Obviously they were referring to the lifestyle and mindset and many seem to think commenting or pointing out the obvious SHOULD be illegal!

I sure wouldn't want to deal with those types of people day in and day out, I think most of us wouldn't but we are going to crucify the police for showing the REALITY of the situation?

These poor kids (mom included) dont stand a chance unless someone intervenes.....so Im glad CPS stepped in.

Me too....this is a case where LE and CPS worked together well. I hope he is not put back into that home. Will be looking for some follow up.

It's a red flag that was waving and a perfect reason for CPS to come in and open a case on these children. Responsible parents don't allow this behavior, nor do they make excuses for it. Not all children at that age use profanities like that. My 4 year old at most calls her little brother a stinky butt, she doesn't call him a little b- .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back