Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    i think a general flyer with the le involved in the jane doe should not only be posted in ny but also in other states, i live in ct and its about 2 hrs to nyc so ny and ct are not far at all, everyone who would want to post flyers in there state could thus maybe generating more tips/leads

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smile22 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sharon25
    I really think the similarities are there.
    Even the fact that our Jane Doe was said to have
    had some tooth decay and Diane also appeared
    to have some dental problems.

I e-mailed Sgt. Smith.
    Who knows! Maybe we can finally put a name
    on her headstone.
    Diane is not our jane doe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sharon25 For This Useful Post:

well it was defiantely a good try! you had concvinced me!

Quote Originally Posted by carolina
    well it was defiantely a good try! you had concvinced me!
    I was really hoping that it was!
    I also hope that I'm not giving the detective all these
    "leads" that they have already checked out.
    I would hate to actually be hurting their investigation rather
    than helping it.

Time is not on our side though

I have a question though-----

Are ALL missing persons reports in a centralized database for
    LE to look through???
    And if so WHEN was this system set up?

Is it possible that they are reports of missing persons
    that never made it to the system for all LE to search through??

Is it possible that they are reports of missing persons
    that never made it to the system for all LE to search through??
    This On-Line searching for missing persons is fairly recent. Missing Person boards only started up in the late 1990's.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children was probably the first large data base, because it had been going as an organization in the early 1980's - so they had been building up files for some time before they went "on-line". But because they only are concerned with missing Children, many cases of missing adults had to wait for later websites to start up.

The Doenetwork is fairly new, and it has been building in size since its start, adding new cases every week - take a look at it, and you will see that often their "new" cases are actually old ones. They require that someone be missing for seven years before they can be added to the website.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

The Charley Project.

Also check out http://www.charleyproject.org. It is run by one of the ladies that used to run the old Missing Persons Cold Case Network.There are cases on there-even some very old ones, that aren't (as of now)on the Doe Network. I believe a person only has to missing 6 months to be on The Charley Project, which is named after a little boy named Charley who went missing in the 1870s. Alot of the case files are very detailed with lots of info. I don't think unidentified victims are on the site, but many very old cases are, as well as very recent ones. This site and the Doe Network are great sites.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

I have looked around on the different sites. I never knew there were so many missing people or so many jane and john does. And I am sure that the records are still scanty, especially on the older cases. I was looking for the case of the girl I had gone to HS with (a year behind me) and who disappeared when she was in college. She left her dorm to go to a Halloween party and disappeared off the face of the earth. My DH ended up working with her father and he would spend weekends bicycling around the college trying to find something out. I am sure that he now "knows" what happened, since he felt he would find out when he died, but she left behind a Mom (not sure if she is still alive or not) and a brother, along with many friends. But, prior to the 80's, there just wasn't a network like there is now.

I knew another girl who had moved from my town to FL with her family and was murdered walking home one evening. That was also mid-70's. As far as I know, it was never solved. Is there anyplace online to find out if it ever was in the last 30 years, or if there is any update at all?

Just my observation of "Cali". Her face looks "young" to me. Maybe it's the mask of death making her look younger, but she still looks like her face was needing to "mature". I wonder if the two people who claimed to see her/talk to her noticed any kind of an accent or dialect to her voice?
    Even her clothing seems youngish, or what the younger group was more apt to wear back then.
    I still would not totally dismiss the race car fan-follower. She might have been a groupie who met someone who convinced her he was "in the circuit" or getting into it and she could have been staying with him for a few weeks and then wanted to leave and he didn't want her to.
    Her picture is just so sad. Like she needs a mommy's arms around her. I hope that someday, it gets solved or she gets identified.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyKollector For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKollector
    I have looked around on the different sites. I never knew there were so many missing people or so many jane and john does. And I am sure that the records are still scanty, especially on the older cases. I was looking for the case of the girl I had gone to HS with (a year behind me) and who disappeared when she was in college. She left her dorm to go to a Halloween party and disappeared off the face of the earth. My DH ended up working with her father and he would spend weekends bicycling around the college trying to find something out. I am sure that he now "knows" what happened, since he felt he would find out when he died, but she left behind a Mom (not sure if she is still alive or not) and a brother, along with many friends. But, prior to the 80's, there just wasn't a network like there is now.

I knew another girl who had moved from my town to FL with her family and was murdered walking home one evening. That was also mid-70's. As far as I know, it was never solved. Is there anyplace online to find out if it ever was in the last 30 years, or if there is any update at all?
    If you cannot find information about these cases on-line, then try looking up the stories about them in newspaper microfilm files. Most of the larger libraries can help you in such a search.

Take a look at the general format of information given in Doenetwork and NCMEC - then do a write up for them and submit it. That is how a lot of the cases get featured.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    This On-Line searching for missing persons is fairly recent. Missing Person boards only started up in the late 1990's.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children was probably the first large data base, because it had been going as an organization in the early 1980's - so they had been building up files for some time before they went "on-line". But because they only are concerned with missing Children, many cases of missing adults had to wait for later websites to start up.

The Doenetwork is fairly new, and it has been building in size since its start, adding new cases every week - take a look at it, and you will see that often their "new" cases are actually old ones. They require that someone be missing for seven years before they can be added to the website.
    How does the LE look for missing persons? Don't they have their own database that they search through???
    How long has that been established?
    Is it mandatory that every missing persons case
    be put into a system that is searchable by ALL of LE????

don't know if anyone has answers to these questions or not

Quote Originally Posted by Mullins
    Thanks for your quick response. Yes I do have information about the individual on death row. His name is Roy Clifton Swafford. According to the serial murder profiling information, he appears to be a hedonistic serial killer---the information I have read indicates that they travel out of their hometowns to commit the murders....I don't know if there would be any way to find out if he was in the NY area during that time.
    Sgt. Smith e-mailed me and said he does not believe it was Roy Clifton Swafford.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharon25 For This Useful Post:

Sgt. Smith e-mailed me and said he does not believe it was Roy Clifton Swafford.
    Thanks for posting that info Sharon25. Hopefully some day something will turn up to help solve this one.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mullins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mullins
    Thanks for posting that info Sharon25. Hopefully some day something will turn up to help solve this one.
    I hope so,
    It seems so sad and unlikely

I found this by searching the terms "He who holds the key can open my heart" along with jewelry in my search engine and found this.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:H...+jewelry&hl=en

It's almost exactly like that girls except it is gold and has a different shape..like it was hand made. The key fits in exactly like that girls in the same place.

Here's another one I found. I don't see a picture, but it says this one is also gold and has the same inscription. http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:T...+jewelry&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Norwood
    I found this by searching the terms "He who holds the key can open my heart" along with jewelry in my search engine and found this.

It's almost exactly like that girls except it is gold and has a different shape..like it was hand made. The key fits in exactly like that girls in the same place.

Here's another one I found. I don't see a picture, but it says this one is also gold and has the same inscription. http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:T...+jewelry&hl=en

the thing with her key to the heart was that it looked very cheep it had the key ring sorta clasp and was belived to be one of the cheeper ones mass marketed for truck stops/ gas stations and conveniance stores. they key to her identity might lie in the jewlery that they found on her and the tan that she had

I think it was a good idea to search the web for similar jewelry. It makes me wonder if there's any way to find out who the manufacturer of the Caledonia Jane Doe's jewelry was (even though I hear it's mass produced), and whether or not the current heart you found on ebay is handmade or manufactured.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Norwood

Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast